Old May 31st 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal

Default Ed Labate vs. Ed Trice

Things are really heating up and it is going to be interesting as Ed
Labate and Ed Trice threaten each other.

I do not know either of them so I have no opinion as to who is right,
but Ed Labate has been involved in chess both as a book seller and as
a tournament organizer for at least 40 years whereas Ed Trice is a
recently arrived huxter, so I am inclined to believe that Ed Labate is
right and Ed Trice is a fraud.

On the other hand, Ed Labate filed a frivolous lawsuit against the
USCF around 25 years ago for refusing to list his tournaments in the
TLA section of Chess Life and was paid a settlement of $30,000. Ed
Trice gets favorable mention for revealing that Rob "The Robber"
Mitchell was trying to scam him for $35,000. Ed Trice has received a
lot of favorable publicity on the Polgar websites.

Read the following websites and formulate your own opinion:

The Gothic Chess Federation
Ed Labate
http://www.gothicchess.com/labate.html

Labate Chess
Ed Trice
http://www.labatechess.com/ed_trice.html

Dear Ed Trice may be in a lot of trouble.

As "My 61 Memorable Games" by Bobby Fischer goes from a mystery to a
hoax ...

US Chess Federation
My 61 Memorable Games: A Mystery
by GM Larry Evans
February 1, 2008
http://main.uschess.org/content/view/8175/431

US Chess Federation
My 61 Memorable Games: A Hoax
by GM Larry Evans
April 10, 2008
http://main.uschess.org/content/view/8333/446

Blame is casted and scapegoats are sought (including a criminal
complaint with the FBI) ...

Chess Ninja
Daily Dirt
Fischer Book
http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/...k_for_real.htm

Fischer's My 61 Memorable Games
Google Groups
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...d6ec973d0f119f

Positions are declared, reputations are staked and a 10-count libel
lawsuit is filed ...

The Gothic Chess Forum
Ed Labate
page 1
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_C... opic=422&st=0
page 2
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_C...opic=422&st=15
Old May 31st 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal

From the Gothic Chess Forum
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_C...p?s=779ceae97b...
We have Trice saying
"You see, I am not married, nor have I ever been"

And yet back in 2003 on www.gothicchess.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/200404231...c_2003_04.html
the "Gothic Chess Patriarch" quoth:
"I was there with my wife Ellie"

(I love the WayBack Machine! - www.archive.org)

This is just example where Trice has been caught out lying. The most
hilarious examples can be found when he talks about the Gothic Chess
tournaments he held which attracted 4000 or more participants!
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/show...d=54078&page=5

Would you buy a chunk of Mars from this man?
www.legallyownlandonmars.com

Ed Trice. A man who retired at 32 and owns three homes with no
mortgage on any of them:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=317580&page=3
And yet was forced into bankrupcy in 2004:
http://tinyurl.com/49rkog

I am one of many people who Trice has crossed over the years. He is
the sort of man who can start an argument (and initiate a scam) in an
empty room.
Old May 31st 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal

Ed Labate has been involved in chess both as a book seller and as a
tournament organizer for at least 40 years.

Sam, I'm 53 years old...I've been selling chess books since 1979, and
running tournaments since 1981,i.e. 24 years old and 26 years old, not
at 13 years old!

On the other hand, Ed Labate filed a frivolous lawsuit against the
USCF around 25 years ago for refusing to list his tournaments in the
TLA section of Chess Life and was paid a settlement of $30,000.

Sam, I've emailed you on this before, and yet you persist and
misstating what happened: The USCF suspended my affiliation without
due process, i.e., notice. This was the famous "We received your
money. However, your flag fell!' Gerry Dullea witticism. The USCF
refuse to reinstate me, even though I know had a ZERO balance, thereby
destroying my business. My business was based on foot traffic. Yes,
they paid me to settle out of court $30,000.00, 13 months later!!
Well, the damage was done. I won the battle and lost the war. My
business never recovered and in 1990 I closed down my chess center and
starting selling vintage sportscards.

Best Wishes!

Edward Labate
National Chess Master
P.O. Box 1404
Athens,AL. 35612

256.829.2298 / LEAVE MESSAGE
OUTSIDE OF ALABAMA,
TOLL FREE 877.336.7021 / LEAVE MESSAGE

P.S. newest website listings
http://www.labatechess.com/store/

http://www.amazon.com/shops/labatechess

ALSO, MUST READING / Please forward as a warning and Public Service
Announcement/PSA to all you know:
http://www.labatechess.com/61_games.html My 61 Memorable Games
Hoax
http://www.labatechess.com/ed_trice.html 'PHILLY PHRAUD', Ed Trice/
Gothic Chess
http://www.labatechess.com/robert_snyder.htmlm Convicted Felon/
Pedophile, Robert Snyder
Old June 1st 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal

On Sat, 31 May 2008 12:08:42 -0700 (PDT), Edward Labate
wrote:

http://www.labatechess.com/robert_snyder.html

Ed, is this the same guy who has a variation of the Sicilian named
after him, and a variation in the Blackmar-Diemer gambit?
Old June 1st 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

LABATE VS. TRICE

Ed Labate may have truth and justice on his
side, but what happens in court is another question.

Still, based on what I have read (and I've not
seen every reference devoted to the case), it a
appears that Ed Trice is in trouble.

I hope that Ed Labate will show some charity and
settle for a modest cash amount plus an airtight,
public admission from Mr. Trice of guilt. This latter
has to be very direct and, in fact, an unconditional
declaration of surrender.

It often happens that people enter our world of
chess, play some egregiously stupid games involving
either semi-fraud or worse -- and then later settle
down and become productive chess citizens.

How old is Mr. Trice?

Yours, Larry Parr

Old June 1st 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Ed Trice was born on 5th December 1966 and is hence 41 years old. Far
too old to change his ways - I should know as I am just a few days
older than Trice!

Can you give any examples of people making an inglorious entry into
the chess world but then changing their ways and doing something
worthwhile and becoming respected by their peers? I can think of a few
who have got into fist fights, but that is a sign of hot-headedness
rather than the inherent evil mind that is needed to attempt fraud on
fellow chess players.

Old June 1st 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

http://www.labatechess.com/robert_snyder.html

Ed, is this the same guy who has a variation of the Sicilian named
after him, and a variation in the Blackmar-Diemer gambit?

I didn't know about the Blackmar-Diemer variation, but yes, it's the
same Robert Snyder.
Old June 2nd 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal

Here is a message that Trice posted on chessgames.com just before the
eBay auction for "My 61 Memorable Games" in December 2007:

"Ed Trice: Not only is that old news, he is doing much better.
Furthermore, his new book is being printed right now. A new email
address can reach the man in direct contact with him regarding
resellers who wish to order it. This is for people who will order 100
or more copies of it at a time for resale. If some of you want to "ask
the man" anything, coming directly from him himself, get on this list.
Maybe if you order 10 books at a discount and get 9 other people to do
the same, one of you can collect the order money and make a reseller
purchase of 100 books. For all serious inquires, send an email to
and I will help move this along. NOTE: All I
did was hook Fischer up with a reliable printer, I don't have the
book, I don't have access to the book, I just helped him out when
everyone else turned their backs on him."

This doesn't really gel with what Trice now claims his involvement
was, does it?

On 31 May, 17:32, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Fischer Bookhttp://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/2007/12/fischer_book_for_real.htm

Fischer's My 61 Memorable Games
Google Groupshttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.chess.politics/browse_thread...

page 1http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_Chess_Forum/index.php?s=779ceae97b...
page 2http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_Chess_Forum/index.php?s=71c84948aa...

Old June 2nd 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal
Rob Rob is offline

On Jun 2, 6:48*am, wrote:
[...]

page 2http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_Chess_Forum/index.php?s=71c84948aa...- Hide quoted text -

Believe Mr. Labate
Old June 2nd 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess,misc.legal

On Jun 2, 5:42 pm, Rob wrote:

Believe Mr. Labate

Interesting point: It is primarily because of Ed Trice that Rob "The
Robber" Mitchell got his moniker "The Robber".

So, as it becomes increasingly clear that Ed Trice was behind the "My
61 Memorable Games Hoax", one must consider the possibility, however
unlikely as it may seem, that Rob Mitchell really did not try to
swindle Ed Trice out of $35,000.

Also, it was Ed Trice who claimed that he had written a computer
program that had solved the game of checkers. This turns out not to be
true either.

So, we must look back and re-evaluate all the claims that Ed Trice has
been making.