Old June 1st 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Manual of the Game of Chess by P.R. von Bilguer, 1880 Edition

I am in the process of reprinting "Manual of the Game of Chess by P.R.
von Bilguer", 1880 Edition, better known by its German title, Handbuch
des Schachspiels von P. R. von Bilguer.

This book is extremely rare. I happened to come across a copy in good
condition. I have been unable to find another one, and I have searched
everywhere.

This book is the equivalent of Modern Chess Openings, but for the 19th
Century. Like Modern Chess Openings, it is packed with long columns
and lines of analysis. It is in German but that should not prove a
problem because, like Chess Informant, it is multi-lingual. All you
need to do is remember that D = Queen, S = Knight, T = Rook and L =
Bishop.

The fact that it is 128 years old is the main reason I am reprinting
it. It contains opening traps and tricks which are no longer played
and are no longer to be found in any openings book.

The book is 6 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches and 720 pages. Every page is jam-
packed with chess analysis. I did not even know that so much analysis
had been done back in 1880.

Paul Rudolf von Bilguer (1815- 1840) was considered to be one of the
strongest chess players in the world, but he died at an early age. The
work continued without him and new editions kept coming out 90 years
after his death.

My reprint of the 1880 edition should be out within ten days. When it
comes out it will be available at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891404

Old June 1st 08, 08:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

"samsloan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am in the process of reprinting "Manual of the Game of Chess by P.R.
von Bilguer", 1880 Edition, better known by its German title, Handbuch
des Schachspiels von P. R. von Bilguer.

This book is extremely rare. I happened to come across a copy in good
condition. I have been unable to find another one, and I have searched
everywhere.

Bookfinder lists more than 50 copies.
Sloan, you are an incompetent fool.

This book is the equivalent of Modern Chess Openings, but for the 19th
Century. Like Modern Chess Openings, it is packed with long columns
and lines of analysis. It is in German but that should not prove a
problem because, like Chess Informant, it is multi-lingual. All you
need to do is remember that D = Queen, S = Knight, T = Rook and L =
Bishop.

The fact that it is 128 years old is the main reason I am reprinting
it. It contains opening traps and tricks which are no longer played
and are no longer to be found in any openings book.

OK. Tell us one - just one - that isn't in the encyclopedia.

Old June 1st 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

On May 31, 11:09*pm, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Edition Olms reissued the 1843 edition in 1979, with a foreword by
Korchnoi.
Old June 1st 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 1, 3:34 am, Jürgen R. wrote:

Bookfinder lists more than 50 copies.

Where exactly? I have searched http://www.bookfinder.com and I cannot
find even one.

OK. Tell us one - just one - that isn't in the encyclopedia.

Anybody who would make such a statement does not know anything about
chess.

What is your rating? Do you play chess, I cannot find your name in the
lists?

Old June 1st 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

OK. Tell us one - just one - that isn't in the encyclopedia.

Anybody who would make such a statement does not know anything about
chess.

Wrong. To make such a statement it suffices to know that you are a fraud.

And take note: I did not say that there are no such openings in the
'Bilguer'
edition that you seem to have stumbled across.

Old June 1st 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 1, 9:28*am, samsloan wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:34 am, Jürgen R. wrote:

Bookfinder lists more than 50 copies.

Where exactly? I have searchedhttp://www.bookfinder.comand I cannot
find even one.

OK. Tell us one - just one - that isn't in the encyclopedia.

Anybody who would make such a statement does not know anything about
chess.

What is your rating? Do you play chess, I cannot find your name in the
lists?

If you mean the USCF lists, of course you can't find him, Sam. His e-
mail address indicates he's posting from Germany.
Old June 1st 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

On May 31, 11:09*pm, samsloan wrote:
I am in the process of reprinting "Manual of the Game of Chess by P.R.
von Bilguer", 1880 Edition, better known by its German title, Handbuch
des Schachspiels von P. R. von Bilguer.

The 1880 edition (6th in a series of 8, I believe) was actually
edited by Constantin Scwede.

This book is extremely rare. I happened to come across a copy in good
condition. I have been unable to find another one, and I have searched
everywhere.

This book is the equivalent of Modern Chess Openings, but for the 19th
Century. Like Modern Chess Openings, it is packed with long columns
and lines of analysis.

All editions of the Handbuch had considerably more than openings:
rules, general principles, endgames, history etc. The 6th edition
features a historical section derived from van der Linde.

It is in German but that should not prove a
problem because, like Chess Informant, it is multi-lingual. All you
need to do is remember that D = Queen, S = Knight, T = Rook and L =
Bishop.

If it is like the 1843 edition I have, the book will prove _very_
hard to read for non-Germans. The bare chess moves are not difficult
to make out, but the notes, besides being in German, are in a sort of
Gothic font which is almost indecipherable for anyone not accustomed
to it.

The fact that it is 128 years old is the main reason I am reprinting
it.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say you're trying to make an easy
buck, Sam?

It contains opening traps and tricks which are no longer played
and are no longer to be found in any openings book.

The book is 6 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches and 720 pages. Every page is jam-
packed with chess analysis. I did not even know that so much analysis
had been done back in 1880.

There is a great deal you do not know, Sam.

Paul Rudolf von Bilguer (1815-1840) was considered to be one of the
strongest chess players in the world,

Bilguer's real strength is rather hard to judge, since few of his
games have survived. A recent article by Jeremy Spinrad discussed him:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/spinrad21.pdf

but he died at an early age. The
work continued without him and new editions kept coming out 90 years
after his death.

You're saying the last edition came out in 1930? Not true. The 8th
and last edition, edited by Schlechter, came out around 1921. Hans
Kmoch published a Nachtrag, or supplement, to the Handbuch in 1930,
but it is incorrect to call this a "new edition."
Old June 1st 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
[...]

I see that an online book titled "A Synopsis of Chess Openings, A
Tabular Analysis" by William Cook was published in English in 1884. The
author notes that the "Handbuch des Schachspiels" 1874 ed. was one of
his sources. This book is freely available via Google books online.
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev. J.D. Walker
Old June 1st 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:

Where exactly? I have searched http://www.bookfinder.com and I cannot
find even one.

There's this selection box with 'Books written in
(Dutch|English|French|German|Italian)' that you have to use in the right manner.

I mean, really no point in searching for 'Handbuch des Schachspiels' among books
written in English or French, is there?

--
Anders Thulin anders*thulin.name http://www.anders.thulin.name/
Old June 1st 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.german,rec.games.chess.computer

Anders Thulin wrote:
samsloan wrote:

Where exactly? I have searched http://www.bookfinder.com and I cannot
find even one.

There's this selection box with 'Books written in
(Dutch|English|French|German|Italian)' that you have to use in the right
manner.

I mean, really no point in searching for 'Handbuch des Schachspiels'
among books
written in English or French, is there?

Well, there is some point to it. You can find English, and presumably
French, texts that refer to it. This may or may not be useful.
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev. J.D. Walker