Old July 16th 03, 02:09 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Default Who is the biggest jerk GM

Perhaps he was having a bad day or something, that doesn`t seem to fit with
the two times I`ve seen him at the Virginia Beach Millennium tournament. Of
course I don`t know Grandmaster Rohde, so I can`t speak in his defence or
anything, but he seemed normal and not conceited at all the two times I`ve
encountered him in person.

- Joshua B. Lilly

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
Quoted from previous usenet posts:

"Speaking of crybabies,

Was anyone present or has heard about the incident with GM Rohde at the

New
York State Ch in Saratoga Springs NY in September 1996?

He was visually agitated at his expert level opponent who did not resign

at the
first sign of losing the game. Others could tell something was wrong so a
small crowd began to hover. 6-7 moves later when the expert finally hung

knight he resigned.

He tipped his king and raised his hand to GM Rohde who defiantly refused

and
began to lecture him on the proper respect accorded GM's and his right to

sleep
instead of playing the additional 20 minutes it took to convince the

expert to
resign.

Maybe it was GM Rohde's lackluster tournament ( only 5-6 IM's and GM's and

he
was on board 7 or 8) to that point or an earlier breech of etiquette but

those watching this display, it left a very sour taste in our mouths.

After
seeing how we mere mortals are treated even after a crushing defeat, who

would
want to spend a dime to watch these guys?

I've met other GM's and most have been very cordial but that single

display and
others I have only heard about always stick in my head when issues of

money,
sponsorship, respect, spectator interest (or lack thereof) are brought

up.

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set

the
record straight."

"Biggest jerks among world class chess players:

Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with
various get-rich-quick internet schemes. He certainly doesn't have the
ability to earn many $$ through actual tournament play. His promise is

worth
less than nothing. His Chess Life column sucks..."

Old July 17th 03, 02:35 AM
StanB

"LeModernCaveman" wrote in message

I met Mr. Rohde about 100+ times at the Manahattan Chess Club and found

him to
be very polite, even if he's not the life of the party.

What do you expect from the guy anyway?

He's a GM, very good player, had a kid about 15 years ago.

He also has an eight year old. And you're right he is an okay guy. For
someone from NJ.

StanB

Old July 17th 03, 04:12 AM
LeModernCaveman

I met Mr. Rohde about 100+ times at the Manahattan Chess Club and found
him to
be very polite, even if he's not the life of the party.

What do you expect from the guy anyway?

He's a GM, very good player, had a kid about 15 years ago.

He also has an eight year old. And you're right he is an okay guy. For
someone from NJ.

Since when were chessplayers, especially GMs, expected to be social
butterflies.

Would you rather hang out with Yasser Seirawan, who will outdress you and
outwit you before and after the game in which he outplays you?