Old June 2nd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Sam Sloan invited to World Mind Sports Games Beijing 2008

Just out:

Press Release from the International Mind Sports
Association (IMSA):

Sam Sloan, who is the reigning World Xiang Qi
Champion among non-Chinese competitors, has been invited
to defend his title in Beijing in October 2008. All expenses of
the trip, in addition to an appropriate appearance fee, will be
covered by the organizers, China General Administration of Sport.
The invitation is being extended on the personal initiative
of Mr Zeng Pei Yan, Member of the Politburo and Vice
Premier of the State Council.

The 1st World Mind Sports Games will be carried out in
Beijing in October 2008.

There will be competions in five disciplines, namely
Bridge, Chess, Go, Xiang Qi and Draughts.

Old June 2nd 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chinese-chess

On Jun 2, 9:09 am, Jrgen R. wrote:
Just out:

Press Release from the International Mind Sports
Association (IMSA):

Sam Sloan, who is the reigning World Xiang Qi
Champion among non-Chinese competitors, has been invited
to defend his title in Beijing in October 2008. All expenses of
the trip, in addition to an appropriate appearance fee, will be
covered by the organizers, China General Administration of Sport.
The invitation is being extended on the personal initiative
of Mr Zeng Pei Yan, Member of the Politburo and Vice
Premier of the State Council.

The 1st World Mind Sports Games will be carried out in
Beijing in October 2008.

There will be competions in five disciplines, namely
Bridge, Chess, Go, Xiang Qi and Draughts.

I am not sure whether this is a joke or not. I have not received any
such invitation.

As far as I know I am not the current World Champion of Chinese Chess
For Non-Chinese. However, the current champion is Vietnamese so it is
at least possible that they consider me to he the last real non-
Chinese to have won this competition.

I will be happy to compete in this event if it turns out that this is
real and not a hoax.