ChessBanter

ChessBanter (https://www.chessbanter.com/)
-   rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-politics-chess-politics/)
-   -   Who is the biggest jerk GM (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-politics-chess-politics/3559-re-who-biggest-jerk-gm.html)

Liam Too July 16th 03 03:49 PM

Who is the biggest jerk GM

(Scott) wrote in message om...

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set the
record straight."

"Biggest jerks among world class chess players:

Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with
various get-rich-quick internet schemes. He certainly doesn't have the
ability to earn many $$ through actual tournament play. His promise is worth
less than nothing. His Chess Life column sucks..."

Dave,

Tha was 7 years ago. Rohde has changed a lot since then. If you were
sleep deprived the previuos night, wouldn't you be on the edge too?

How's broadcasting life in Bedford? Do you still commute to Boston
everyday?

GreenPencil July 16th 03 07:44 PM

Who is the biggest jerk GM

(Liam Too) wrote in message . com...
(Scott) wrote in message om...

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set the
record straight."

"Biggest jerks among world class chess players:

Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with
various get-rich-quick internet schemes. He certainly doesn't have the
ability to earn many $$ through actual tournament play. His promise is worth
less than nothing. His Chess Life column sucks..."

Dave,

Tha was 7 years ago. Rohde has changed a lot since then. If you were
sleep deprived the previuos night, wouldn't you be on the edge too?

How's broadcasting life in Bedford? Do you still commute to Boston
everyday?

You probably are just thinking of the wrong GM. There are 3 different
GM's with that name, GM Rhode, GM Road, GM Rohde. You will find
players use all three sobriques for the same guy even. :-)

Liam Too July 16th 03 10:33 PM

Who is the biggest jerk GM

(GreenPencil) wrote in message . com...

You probably are just thinking of the wrong GM. There are 3 different
GM's with that name, GM Rhode, GM Road, GM Rohde. You will find
players use all three sobriques for the same guy even. :-)

Nope, I'm thinking about the NY GM Rohde was 2519, now 2498, current
columnist of Chess Life that Scott has a grudge on.

What were you thinking?

John Fernandez July 17th 03 01:18 AM

Who is the biggest jerk GM

Subject: Who is the biggest jerk GM
From: Mike Murray
Date: 7/16/2003 8:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:54:58 GMT,
(Charles Blair)
wrote:

Again, I have no idea what really happened. My speculation was that
Rohde's opponent had what (at expert level, and the player is described
as an expert in the original post) a clearly lost position, that Rohde
was short of time, and the player was hoping for a win on time.

You consider this unethical?

It's pretty close to it. I'd strongly suggest not asking the GM to go over the
game with you afterwards if you do this.

John Fernandez

Bill Smythe July 17th 03 04:59 AM

Who is the biggest jerk GM

"John Fernandez" wrote:
.... I'd strongly suggest not asking the GM to go over the
game with you afterwards if you do this. ....

GMs try hard not to go over games with their opponents. If they do go over
one, they'll give you misinformation. They like to protect their
professional secrets.

Bill Smythe

John Fernandez July 18th 03 07:57 AM

Who is the biggest jerk GM

From: "Bill Smythe"
Date: 7/16/2003 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time
"John Fernandez" wrote:
.... I'd strongly suggest not asking the GM to go over the
game with you afterwards if you do this. ....

GMs try hard not to go over games with their opponents. If they do go over
one, they'll give you misinformation. They like to protect their
professional secrets.

Bill Smythe

Completely untrue, in my experience. I've had 9 games against GMs, and all of
them have been happy to have very long post-mortem analysis with me. And my
score (+0 =6 -3) is not one that makes most GMs too happy.

John Fernandez