Old June 5th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Freysteinn Thorbergsson book on the 1972 Fischer-Spassky Match

Freysteinn Thorbergsson book on the 1972 Fischer-Spassky Match

Freysteinn Thorbergsson of Iceland self-published a book on the
Fischer-Spassky Match. Basically what the book said was that the
entire match was the idea of Freysteinn Thorbergsson. Freysteinn
Thorbergsson convinced the Icelanders to hold the match, Freysteinn
Thorbergsson came to America to convince Bobby to play, Freysteinn
Thorbergsson accompanied Fischer on the flight to Iceland and in short
every good thing that happened was entirely due to the efforts of
Freysteinn Thorbergsson.

However, the book “Bobby Fischer vs. The Rest of the World” by Brad
Darrach tells a slightly different story. Indeed, it states on pages
97 and 103 that Freysteinn Thorbergsson did show up at Saidy's home to
convince Bobby to plan but apparently was not allowed to see Bobby,
and Freysteinn Thorbergsson indeed was on the airplane that took Bobby
to Iceland but according to page 112 when Bobby saw him smiling at
him, Bobby shouted “I want that man removed”.

Freysteinn Thorbergsson played in the World Open in New York in either
1973 or 1974. I think he played in the Under-2200 section and did
poorly but chessmetrics.com rates him as a 2300 player.

http://db.chessmetrics.com/PL/PL40515.htm

Freysteinn Thorbergsson showed me the book (although perhaps it was
just a long article) during the 1973 World Open and I read it but did
not buy it. I would like to obtain a copy of the book Freysteinn
Thorbergsson wrote as a curiosity. I cannot find it listed on Amazon
or anywhere else. Does anybody know where I can find it? Has anybody
ever even heard of this book? Surely, someone in Iceland must know
about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old June 5th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 4, 7:15*pm, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

Freysteinn Thorbergsson sounds like the Icelandic version of Sam
Sloan.
Old June 5th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
SBD SBD is offline

On Jun 5, 11:34 am, wrote:

Freysteinn Thorbergsson sounds like the Icelandic version of Sam
Sloan.

He won the championship of Iceland once, no small feat.
Old June 5th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"SBD" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Jun 5, 11:34 am, wrote:

Freysteinn Thorbergsson sounds like the Icelandic version of Sam
Sloan.

He won the championship of Iceland once, no small feat.

That's nothing. Iceland has a population of 300'000.
Sloan is Chinese Chess World Champion (non-Chinese,
Foreign White Devil section) and there are at least
3 Billion FWD's.

Old June 5th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Jürgen R. wrote:

"SBD" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Jun 5, 11:34 am, wrote:

Freysteinn Thorbergsson sounds like the Icelandic version of Sam
Sloan.

He won the championship of Iceland once, no small feat.

That's nothing. Iceland has a population of 300'000.
Sloan is Chinese Chess World Champion (non-Chinese,
Foreign White Devil section) and there are at least
3 Billion FWD's.

Help me out here. I am trying to learn a bit of German. How does one
translate "foreign white devils?" Perhaps: die Fremdweißteufelsbrut?

[anyone? Bueller?]

How do you come up with 3 billion anyways. That seems too high.
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev. J.D. Walker

Old June 6th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

According to the December 1974 Chess Life, page 848, Freysteinn
Thorbergsson was rated 2176.

I am surprised he is rated so high because, as I recall, he bombed out
of the World Open and dropped out.

Perhaps this rating reflects in part his FIDE rating, which was 2335.

I think he died not long thereafter.

Old June 6th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

In article
,
SBD wrote:

[Freysteinn Thorbergsson] won the championship of Iceland once, no small feat.

That was a much smaller feat *before* Fischer changed the landscape,
wasn't it?

After Bobby put Iceland on the world chess map, didn't Iceland go on to
grow the largest number of grandmasters per capita than any other
country in the world for a while?

But before that, winning the Icelandic championship couldn't've been a
big deal.
Old June 6th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

In article
,
wrote:

Freysteinn Thorbergsson sounds like the Icelandic version of Sam Sloan.

My favorite picture of Sam Sloan is the one where he's seated at a table
with two Icelandic women, and I imagine one saying to the other in
Icelandic, "I think that guy is wanking under the table".
Old June 6th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jun 5, 9:15 pm, Frisco Del Rosario wrote:
In article
,

SBD wrote:
[Freysteinn Thorbergsson] won the championship of Iceland once, no small feat.

That was a much smaller feat *before* Fischer changed the landscape,
wasn't it?

After Bobby put Iceland on the world chess map, didn't Iceland go on to
grow the largest number of grandmasters per capita than any other
country in the world for a while?

But before that, winning the Icelandic championship couldn't've been a
big deal.

Not true. Iceland has always had the strongest players per capita of
any country in the world, going back to at least the 1930s. Every
adult male in Iceland knows how to play chess and probably the average
strength of the entire male population is 1700.

Old June 6th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
SBD SBD is offline

On Jun 5, 8:15 pm, Frisco Del Rosario wrote:

After Bobby put Iceland on the world chess map, didn't Iceland go on to
grow the largest number of grandmasters per capita than any other
country in the world for a while?

But before that, winning the Icelandic championship couldn't've been a
big deal.

Iceland has always been strong in chess.