Old July 16th 03, 06:33 PM
Bruce Draney

Default Defining a successful OMOV election.

As we near the eve of the first ever OMOV election it seems worthwhile
to reflect on what might constitute a successful first OMOV Board vote.
While some who pushed for OMOV for years might say that ANY OMOV result
is successful, in my view, a truly successful OMOV vote would have to
amount to at least 1,000 or more total voters. Anything below 1,000 in
my view would be dismal.

Even so, this is the first try, and if there is a low turnout there are
a multitude of possible explanations, most of them dealing with postage
issues, deadline issues and the fact that this was the first time the
USCF ever tried to do anything like this on a massive scale. Add to
that the fact that USCF is in its annual state of financial crisis and
it might not even be fair to judge this election on reasonable and fair
standards.

I personally feel that OMOV may have made the difference for Beatriz if
she wins. Under the old system, I'm pretty sure that Don, Mike P, and
Dr. Wagner would have been in as a slate and they still might be if
there is poor turnout, but the grassroots efforts by Beatriz and her
supporters behind the scenes may make the difference in her getting
elected, more or less without having to kiss Don Schultz' ring.

I expect Beatriz however to have a minimal or negligible impact on USCF
even if she is elected in terms of helping adult chess. Her supporters
are largely pro-scholastics who will certainly not want her transferring
dues rates from adults to children and will be upset with her if she
supports such a notion.

I personally expect virtually nothing to emerge from LA, because the
Delegates almost never do anything of value or consequence. They meet
for two days, pass some meaningless and unenforceable stuff that the
Board and ED ignore and then go eat cocktail weenies together and drink
martinis at the President's reception.

I'll give a grade for the OMOV process AFTER the election.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old July 16th 03, 07:05 PM
Recmate

Subject: Defining a successful OMOV election.
From: Bruce Draney
Date: 07/16/2003 1:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time
As we near the eve of the first ever OMOV election it seems worthwhile
to reflect on what might constitute a successful first OMOV Board vote.
While some who pushed for OMOV for years might say that ANY OMOV result
is successful, in my view, a truly successful OMOV vote would have to
amount to at least 1,000 or more total voters. Anything below 1,000 in
my view would be dismal.

I agree, and the actual turnout seems quite respectable with 1822 ballots
received.

Even so, this is the first try, and if there is a low turnout there are
a multitude of possible explanations, most of them dealing with postage
issues, deadline issues and the fact that this was the first time the
USCF ever tried to do anything like this on a massive scale. Add to
that the fact that USCF is in its annual state of financial crisis and
it might not even be fair to judge this election on reasonable and fair
standards.

I personally feel that OMOV may have made the difference for Beatriz if
she wins. Under the old system, I'm pretty sure that Don, Mike P, and
Dr. Wagner would have been in as a slate and they still might be if
there is poor turnout, but the grassroots efforts by Beatriz and her
supporters behind the scenes may make the difference in her getting
elected, more or less without having to kiss Don Schultz' ring.

I think Beatriz will be elected, and would have been under the old system as
well. Unlike 2001, there was no "red party slate" this time; I believe that
Mikel Petersen got only 3 or 4 votes from the 7 current Board members.

I expect Beatriz however to have a minimal or negligible impact on USCF
even if she is elected in terms of helping adult chess. Her supporters
are largely pro-scholastics who will certainly not want her transferring
dues rates from adults to children and will be upset with her if she
supports such a notion.

Beatriz has said of the $13/$12 economy scholastic membership, "there are many
coaches and teachers, especially in the title I schools, who are struggling for
their students to play in USCF rated events. The economy scholastic membership
is absolutely necessary for the existence of these programs."

I do not agree that we should structure our dues to appeal to the poorest
schools- rather, the program of free memberships through the USCF Trust should
be reinstated for them, and the $13 membership should be abolished or changed
to a 6 month membership.

Bill Goichberg

Old July 17th 03, 12:58 AM
Mike Petersen

Bruce Draney wrote in message ...

[snip]
but the grassroots efforts by Beatriz and her
supporters behind the scenes may make the difference in her getting
elected, more or less without having to kiss Don Schultz' ring.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

I don't kiss anybody's ring. And if you think I do, especially given
the fact that you have never met me, then you can kiss mine. And I
don't mean my ring.

- Mike Petersen
Old July 17th 03, 02:28 AM
George John

"Recmate" wrote in message

Bill,

-snip-

I do not agree that we should structure our dues to appeal to the poorest
schools- rather, the program of free memberships through the USCF Trust

should
be reinstated for them,

SFAIK, the program remains unchanged. As many as ten students from each
school, who are on the free-lunch program, may get a free members from the
US Chess Trust. Do you have something different in mind?

and the $13 membership should be abolished or changed
to a 6 month membership.

We do not CURRENTLY know what the impact of having no magazine is on
retention for this market segment. We do not know what the impact of
forcing dues to $19 or 6-months at $13 might have on this potentially price
sensative segment. In the absence of anything resembling real market
intelligence, I would urge caution and listen closely to what our scholastic
representatives, like Beatriz, are telling us about scholastic dues. Given
current information, financially, the USCF is indifferent to the economy and
regular scholastic memberships. I see no reason not to continue as is.
Based on what little information we have, I suggest we continue with the
status quo.

George