Old June 8th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Delegates Are the USCF's Directors Under Illinois Law

http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/whoisboard.pdf

I renew my request from Bill Hall and Bill G. regarding liability
insurance coverage for each member of the House of Delegates, not just
delegates who sit on the Executive Board. Are we, the delegates, covered??
Old June 8th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Brian Lafferty wrote:
http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/whoisboard.pdf

I renew my request from Bill Hall and Bill G. regarding liability
insurance coverage for each member of the House of Delegates, not just
delegates who sit on the Executive Board. Are we, the delegates, covered??

Wasn't that asked and answered on the USCF Forums a long time ago? The
Delegates are covered, but only for actions during the Annual Meeting.
Old June 8th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

Brian Lafferty wrote:
http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/whoisboard.pdf

I renew my request from Bill Hall and Bill G. regarding liability
insurance coverage for each member of the House of Delegates, not just
delegates who sit on the Executive Board. Are we, the delegates, covered??

Wasn't that asked and answered on the USCF Forums a long time ago? The
Delegates are covered, but only for actions during the Annual Meeting.

So when the members of the House of Delegates are added to an action
such as Brock's or Sloan's, or joined in a new action each individual
delegate is covered? Are you saying yes and speaking for the Executive
Director and the Prez of the EB? Somehow, I think not.
Old June 9th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Brian Lafferty wrote:
wrote:

Brian Lafferty wrote:
http://members.aol.com/wpraeder/whoisboard.pdf

I renew my request from Bill Hall and Bill G. regarding liability
insurance coverage for each member of the House of Delegates, not just
delegates who sit on the Executive Board. Are we, the delegates, covered??

Wasn't that asked and answered on the USCF Forums a long time ago? The
Delegates are covered, but only for actions during the Annual Meeting.

So when the members of the House of Delegates are added to an action
such as Brock's or Sloan's, or joined in a new action each individual
delegate is covered? Are you saying yes and speaking for the Executive
Director and the Prez of the EB? Somehow, I think not.

No, I'm not speaking for the ED or the USCF. But the USCF got a legal
opinion on this long before you slithered on the scene, and the result
is common knowledge. If the cause of action is something done by the
Delegates during an Annual Meeting, they are covered. Otherwise, not.
Since the Delegates, unlike the EB members _have_ no duties outside
the Annual Meeting, the USCF's insurer is not required to cover them
for anything done at any other time. It is true that this could lead
to harassment of a Delegate by a vexatious pro se litigant, or a
dishonest, unethical attorney (we don't know anyone like that, do
we?). If you object to that, talk to your congressman about tort
reform.

(BTW, the only "House of Delegates" I know of is in Virginia.)
Old June 9th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

Brian Lafferty wrote:
wrote:
Brian Lafferty wrote:
[...]

I suggest that you read the opinion obtained by Wayne Praeder, not that
you'll have a clue as to what it says. Your theory of director liability
limits is novel--that's a polite way of saying that your idea is
stupidly incorrect.

It is true that this could lead
to harassment of a Delegate by a vexatious pro se litigant, or a
dishonest, unethical attorney (we don't know anyone like that, do
we?). If you object to that, talk to your congressman about tort
reform.

Tort reform isn't the issue at all. The issue is liability for
directors which the delegate apparently are. Since you don't know what
insurance is in place covering the 150 or so directors, you're really
just talking through your bung hole yet again.

I think it's time to plonk you, Johnny Boy. Plonk!

(BTW, the only "House of Delegates" I know of is in Virginia.)