Old June 11th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default How would the Online Chess Life work?

How would the Online Chess Life work?

Bill Goichberg continues aggressively to push his “New Plan” to turn
Chess Life into an online publication, but he has failed to explain
how this would work.

The current Chess Life of 80 pages, if converted to PDF Format, would
be a 86 megabyte download.

86 megabytes is a big download, even for those of us with cable
Internet access, as I have. 86 MB is an impossible download for
anybody using dialup. I would be interested in seeing statistics. How
many USCF members have Internet access, how many have dial-up, how
many have cable, how many have DSL? Many USCF members probably access
the Internet from the public library. The library probably gives them
only 30 minutes. It is not practical to read Chess Life that way.

What would the format be? For photographs, the standard for print
publications is at least 300 dpi. However, for normal HTML access,
standard is 72 dpi. This is because computer screens are 72 dpi. Does
Bill Goichberg anticipate that most USCF members will download Chess
Life each month and then print it out on his home printer? Have you
ever tried to print out even one page at 300 dpi? It takes a long
time. Do you know what the price of ink for most printers is now? The
cost of just printing Chess Life every month on your home printer,
just for the ink alone not to mention the time and inconvenience, will
be considerable.

I believe that most USCF members do what I do, which is flip through
the magazine when we first receive it and then put Chess Life aside,
planning to read it later but rarely getting around to it. However, if
online, most members will not even look at it.

Frankly, I doubt that Bill Goichberg has even thought about these
problems. He is just pushing ahead with an online Chess Life, as
though this were a magic bullet.

Perhaps Bill Goichberg wants to convert Chess Life to HTML Format, and
convert all the pictures to 72 dpi. That would make it more readable,
but then the assumption is that the member will only read it on his
computer screen, and never actually download it. It will also require
an additional staff member to perform the time consuming task of
converting Chess Life from PDF to HTML. So, the USCF will have to hire
a new person. The cost of this extra person will probably eliminate
the savings by his “New Plan”. Remember that Goichberg is claiming
that his “New Plan” will “save” $86,000 per year. How much will this
new person cost? By the way, people who do this sort of work expect to
be paid well.

One way to answer these questions would be for Bill Goichberg to
produce one issue of Chess Life in the online format that he proposes.
Then we could all look at it and see if we like it. Just take the
current, already published, issue of Chess Life and post it online.
Then we will all be able to see if like it and are willing to give up
our paper printed Chess Life to be replaced by this. We will also be
able to see how many members even look at it.

I will bet that Bill Goichberg cannot produce even one acceptable
issue of an online Chess Life. Frankly, I do not believe that
Goichberg has even thought about these issues. Goichberg lives a
vagabond life, traveling from chess tournament to chess tournament and
horse racing track to horse racing track. He does not put down roots
long enough to be familiar with these issues.

The Goichberg “New Plan” will send us into a black hole from which
there will be no return. If Gouchberg gets a majority of the votes at
the USCF Delegates Meeting in Dallas on August 9, 2008, that will be
it and that will be, in the opinion of many, the end of Chess Life
magazine as we know it.

Would it not be a good idea to have the answers to these questions
before the meeting and the vote?

Old June 11th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
SBD SBD is offline

On Jun 11, 6:25 am, samsloan wrote:
How would the Online Chess Life work?

Bill Goichberg continues aggressively to push his “New Plan” to turn
Chess Life into an online publication, but he has failed to explain
how this would work.

The current Chess Life of 80 pages, if converted to PDF Format, would
be a 86 megabyte download.

I access a lot of pdfs at various chess sites. For most magazines, it
seems that about 3-4 megabytes is about right, and can't such things
be easily compressed these days?

I've downloaded an entire year's worth of several magazines at less
than 86, probably half that.

Sam you really need to think before you type. The reason why Goichberg
is for this is because he travels from race track to race track,
"never putting down roots"? What a specious argument... you could just
as well say his travels around the country have made him more aware of
member issues....

I know of several countries that post the pdfs of their nation's chess
magazines on-line... have you made a comparison with those? Didn't
think so.
Old June 11th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 11, 6:57 am, SBD wrote:
[...]

It's not just chess. The League of American Bicyclists and the
Adventure Cycling Association also make their magazines available for
download. A number of commercial bike magazines, such as Dirt Rag and
Mountain Bike Action, also have 'electronic editions.' The practice is
spreading.
Old June 11th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
SBD SBD is offline

I just accessed the 48 page June 2008 edition of the Schweizerische
Schachzeitung (freely available online) and it was 1.9 Meg in size. My
computer is 10 years old and had no problem with it....

Old June 11th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 11, 5:25 am, samsloan wrote:

The current Chess Life of 80 pages, if converted to PDF Format, would
be a 86 megabyte download.

Even documents that are converted to PDF format simply by using
scanned images aren't 86 megabytes for 80 pages. And that is a very
inefficient method of conversion; presumably, Chess Life is typeset by
phototypesetting, not by hand setting of type or by an old-fashioned
Linotype or Monotype machine, so the text of its articles exists in
machine-readable form.

So I really don't think that *this* is the major issue here.

John Savard

Old June 11th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 11, 8:04 am, The Historian wrote:

[...]

Following your suggestion I just downloaded an issue of the League of
American Bicyclists magazine. It is a free download.

http://www.bikeleague.org/members/pd...nov-dec_07.pdf

That is another issue. People who download things from the Internet
expect to get them for free. Can you cite an example of an comparable
organization that charges a subscription fee for their online
publication?

Or, are you advocating that the USCF should start giving away Chess
Life free of charge?

Players subscribe to Chess Life because it contains valuable
information on how to win chess games, such as secret moves, opening
innovations and the like. Does the magazine of the League of American
Bicyclists teach you how to ride a bicycle? Does is contain any
information that people would be willing to pay money for?

Old June 11th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
SBD SBD is offline

On Jun 11, 8:03 am, samsloan wrote:

organization that charges a subscription fee for their online
publication?

Or, are you advocating that the USCF should start giving away Chess
Life free of charge?

Players subscribe to Chess Life because it contains valuable
information on how to win chess games, such as secret moves, opening
innovations and the like. Does the magazine of the League of American
Bicyclists teach you how to ride a bicycle? Does is contain any
information that people would be willing to pay money for?

Doing business on the Internet - and in certain cases, that may
involve "giving away a magazine for free" in return for other benefits
- is definitely not for the weak of heart.

It seems to me that the USCF is trying to fix its financial problems
and come into the Electronic Age. That could be suicidal, or it could
rejuvenate the organization.
Old June 11th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jun 11, 9:29 am, SBD wrote:

It seems to me that the USCF is trying to fix its financial problems
and come into the Electronic Age. That could be suicidal, or it could
rejuvenate the organization.

This is precisely the problem. Goichberg is taking an enormous risk.
Problem is, he does not seem to realize it. Almost every long time
USCF insider has come out against this plan. For starters, every
former USCF President is against it.

If the plan fails, it will kill the organization. If the plan
succeeds, benefits will be small. That is the reason that there is
such tremendous opposition. But, Goichberg is so bull-headed that he
is pushing forward with it, not willing to listen to what anybody else
has to say.

Old June 11th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

None of the problems you raise below is real. The diatribe
shows, once again that you have no idea what you are
talking about. PDF, HTML, printing speed - as usual you
are off by a factor 10 or more.

Old June 11th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Not all online magazines are free of charge and some are flexible about
how much of a magazine you have to read with pricing per article.

The international science journal Nature represents one such model. I
think they are vastly overpriced for personal use but most regular users
have commercial or academic site licenses.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture07081.html

Or the ISSG of the BCS put old copies online as PDFs about 1.4MB for 20
pages and it isn't short of glossy colour pictures (too glossy for my
taste). But it gives a rough idea of what is possible.

Players subscribe to Chess Life because it contains valuable
information on how to win chess games, such as secret moves, opening
innovations and the like. Does the magazine of the League of American
Bicyclists teach you how to ride a bicycle? Does is contain any
information that people would be willing to pay money for?

If you publish in online form either people will pay per view or they
won't. You may even capture a market of people who would not ordinarily
buy the journal but happen to see an article in it they want to read.
Online indexing makes finding serendipitous articles much easier.

Regards,
Martin Brown