Old June 11th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Letting the Members Select Which Services They Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknibb
I believe a factor that significantly plays into
this discussion and these calculations is "what are the basic services
a member receives" as a part of their membership. My personal opinion
is that we should strip membership to its most basic service (rating
system) and also membership rights to purchase other services at a
discounted rate.

In this way, no one is being forced to subsidize other member
benefits, and you would significantly increase the # of members
spreading the cost of fixed costs. Things like the magazine should
be made available to those who wish to pay for them, but others should
not be forced to pay for them.

Mark Nibbelin
The USCF is a lot more than just a rating service and a magazine.

For example, we send teams to the World Chess Olympiad every two
years, we send players to qualification tournaments for the World
Chess Championship, we represent the United States of America in FIDE,
the World Chess Federation, we give stay-at-home jobs to friends of
board members, we sponsor chess junkets such as flying 20 USCF
insiders to Florida for the Winter as we did in 2006, we sponsor chess
gurus, such as the $50,000 we paid to one Internet guru in 2006.

Should we set up a system of check-off boxes?

For example:
Check this box if you want the USA to send teams to the World Chess
Olympiads.

Will we have an ala carte menu, check here to allow one of our players
to compete for the World Championship?

Old June 11th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
SBD SBD is offline

On Jun 11, 12:41 pm, samsloan wrote:

Will we have an ala carte menu, check here to allow one of our players
to compete for the World Championship?

Sam Sloan

That sounds very Libertarian.