Old June 16th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Susan Says She Will No Longer Try To Help the USCF

Susan posted the following comments on her "Saturday Open Forum":

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008...pen-forum.html

Blogger SusanPolgar said...

The future of chess is very bright. Chess is booming but I do not
see that for the USCF.

I still do get invitations to strong events but I will only play
if it is something interesting and make sense for me. I came out of
retirement and played in the 2004 Olympiad, Women's Chess Cup in
Germany, and the Mayor's Cup in NY. I find those events exciting.

I will be promoting chess for the rest of my life. But I do not
like politics, not now, not ever. I am ashamed of the behavior of some
of my colleagues. Their personal ego and political power is more
important than improving or fixing the USCF.

My involvement with the USCF board is to help this federation. If
they do not want my help then I will continue doing other things for
SPICE and the SPF. Chess will continue to grow with or without the
USCF.

Best wishes,
Susan Polgar
Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:26:00 AM CDT

Blogger SusanPolgar said...

Jolly, as I stated before, I am very disappointed in the state of
USCF chess. I ran for the board to help. Instead of working together
for the good of chess and the USCF, the same small group of people
would do anything to maintain the status quo and their control of the
USCF. Their personal interest, ego, and power is more important than
the welfare of this federation.

In the mean time, chess is booming in America while the USCF
continues to crash and burn.

Best wishes,
Susan Polgar
Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:50:00 PM CDT
Old June 16th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Rob Rob is offline

On Jun 16, 7:53*am, samsloan wrote:
[...]

I have to agree with her sentiments.
Old June 16th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 16, 2:08 pm, Rob wrote:

I have to agree with her sentiments.

Mr. Sloan seems to have a personal grudge of
some kind against Susan Polgar, and the bulk of
postings here about her originate with him; this
tilts the scale toward a very negative perspective
on her.

However, it is surprising to me that after all the
YEARS of moaning and groaning about the small
group of folks who control the board, Ms. Polgar
manages to act "surprised" by it all-- as did Mr.
Sloan when, by his own account, he could not
get anything done as a result. The only possible
explanation for such surprise -- if genuine -- is
complete ignorance of how things work in the
USCF.

Petty infighting aside, I see attacks on the
Truong/Polgar duet, accusations of dishonesty
and deviousness, and lay them side-by-side
with what I've *seen with my own eyes* on the
infamous SP Web site: a dead-on match, IMO.
When challenged to "explain" those lies and
fabrications, even SP's most ardent apologists
can offer nothing more than a redefinition of
outright fabrications and lies as "hyperbole";
others go mum-- apparently thinking radio
silence to be a tenable strategy. But their
silence is deafening... .

In sum, I see no good reason to prefer SP's
brand of egomania to the power-mongering of
the BG clan. What we need is new blood-- or
a new organization, organized differently so
as to avoid such monopolies.

-- help bot
Old June 16th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

On Jun 16, 2:00*pm, help bot wrote:
On Jun 16, 2:08 pm, Rob wrote:

[...]

I tend to believe a new organization or a complete restructuring of
the old... er, well I guess that would be a whole new organization,
wouldn't it?
Old June 16th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 16, 3:05 pm, Rob wrote:

I tend to believe a new organization or a complete restructuring of
the old... er, well I guess that would be a whole new organization,
wouldn't it?

One key difference is that -- much like the difference
between Japanese automakers and American ones --
the USCF carries with it a huge liability (toward its Life
members) while a new organization would not.

I've read some comments that suggest the reason
certain individuals (don't worry BG, I'm not going to
name names here) repeatedly run for the USCF
board is that they can use its power to help them
make money in chess; in other words, it's very
much like politics here in America. But, just as in
American politics, the conflicts of interest are so
obvious that they are often ignored, as if they did
not exist.

For instance, when the government tells us that
inflation is well under control at a paltry 2.9%, not
only do most people accept that to be factual,
they will even incorporate that number into many
of their own calculations, churning out further
nonsense to add to the government's own lies!

Sadly, the only way we learn about the many
abuses inside the USCF is when jealousies
arise, and somebody (don't worry SS, I'm not
going to name names here) whines that
somebody else got free stuff at their expense.
Not that it makes any difference... the BG clan
seems to have an unshakable, iron grip.

-- help bot

Old June 18th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Susan

On Jun 17, 5:02 pm, "Chess One" wrote:

...and continue as normal to
monitor what it says in contrast to what it does.

What it /says/? "I was nearly an IM with a rating
of 2450."

What it /does/? "IMnes, Sir Phil: no match found.
Did you mean Sir Phillip? Sir Inverness? Sir Robin?
That's him-- Bravely brave Sir Robin!"

I always enjoy a good rant... about how one need
not be a member in order to discuss USCF issues;
it reminds me of oh so many threads wherein the
bravely brave Sir Robin ranted that folks who did
not happen to agree with him needed to "shut up"
because they allegedly were not members of the
chess-players group. *Contrast* indeed!

-- help bot
Old June 18th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

"SBD" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 3:54 pm, "Chess One" wrote:
"Ted E Bear" wrote in

I disagree with Ted. USCF is not a private group, but a public non-profit
promote chess.

If USCF wants top become a private group it should continue as it is -
but
that is another issue, entirely apart from who is or is not a current
member.

Phil Innes

This is one of your better comments. The USCF should be interested in
all things chess, and as the representative for chess in the US,
should be willing to address members or non-members on such issues.

The USCF has no business to do other than promote chess. You will see
Steven, in other news today, what is possible without them.

Even Innes is smart enough (and he doesn't exactly shine
intellectually) to see that the USCF's main problem is not adhering to
its mission (statement).

Coming from someone who does not exactly raise or promote chess issues
themselves, and never it seems without derogatory reference to those who do,
I am pleased to be singled out as even a 'not exactly' sort of person as
they perceive themselves to be, since the very last thing I would aspire to
is to be seen as 'normally intellectual' by those who 'see' things such as I
wrote above, but are fraid to ever say things, lest they lose their position
on the Titanic.

Their role in USCF's decline is not exactly owned. And their own
intellectual contributions not exactly evident.

Phil Innes