Old June 18th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Big Deal event for chess in NY NJ PA and for chess kids USA

I have been pleased this week to talk on the phone and exchange messages
with a group wishing to go for a Guinness Book of Records event, putting
together 30,000+ chess players in NJ in late September.

Chessville will provide them publicity for chess fans, and we are also
looking broader to mainstream media interest. Current work involves
attracting major sponsors and media to the event.

This is a happy combination of chess with benefits to children, organized by
the nonprofit agency Prevention First.

Maurice Ashley gave the previous event a big boost by his attendance last
year, so this year the organization is shooting for the moon.

Sincere offers of help at any level are very welcome - e-mail me.

Phil Innes

Old June 18th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
SBD SBD is offline

On Jun 18, 12:54 pm, "Chess One" wrote:
I have been pleased this week to talk on the phone and exchange messages
with a group wishing to go for a Guinness Book of Records event, putting
together 30,000+ chess players in NJ in late September.

I thought the Guinness book no longer listed chess achievements?
Old June 19th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 18, 1:54 pm, "Chess One" wrote:
I have been pleased this week to talk on the phone and exchange messages
with a group wishing to go for a Guinness Book of Records event, putting
together 30,000+ chess players in NJ in late September.

Chessville will provide them publicity for chess fans, and we are also
looking broader to mainstream media interest. Current work involves
attracting major sponsors and media to the event.

This is a happy combination of chess with benefits to children, organized by
the nonprofit agency Prevention First.

Maurice Ashley gave the previous event a big boost by his attendance last
year, so this year the organization is shooting for the moon.

Sincere offers of help at any level are very welcome - e-mail me.

Phil Innes

Is there greater than a snowball's chance on a campfire of there
getting ANY media coverage for this?

- Rich
Old June 19th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Here's the link to Prevention First ChessFest

http://www.preventionfirst.net/chess.html
Old June 20th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

After talking by teleconference with the principal organizers for 90 minutes
today, I am pleased to say that Chessville will continue to promote their
cause, which is about self-abusing kids, in the sense of their alcohol and
drug abuse, and I will privately entertain anyone wishing to support that
initiative who wishes to do something about it [thank you already, Rich, for
next year] and thanks, inter alia, national 'names' who consistently have
given to this program.

There are 2 aspects to it; the chessic part, and the mainstream media part.

Initial announcement of the scope of the thing this weekend at Chessville in
Alekhine's Parrot column - those willing to actively participate at any
level, to benefit children, e-mail me, stating your interest in either
chess, fundraising, organisation, or media appreciations.

Phil Innes

. ..