Old June 19th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default USCF Pension Matters...

How many employees past and present are impacted by the USCF pension
fiasco? What kind of money are we talking about from the organization's
point of view, and from the average employees point of view? Is there a
legal action already in the works on this matter?

When this organizational monstrosity finally goes under, I suggest
driving a wooden stake through its heart. Perhaps new blood with a
fresh outlook will then be able to save chess in the USA.
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev. J.D. Walker
Old June 19th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:01:35 -0700, "J.D. Walker"
wrote:

How many employees past and present are impacted by the USCF pension
fiasco? What kind of money are we talking about from the organization's
point of view, and from the average employees point of view? Is there a
legal action already in the works on this matter?

When this organizational monstrosity finally goes under, I suggest
driving a wooden stake through its heart. Perhaps new blood with a
fresh outlook will then be able to save chess in the USA.

An unfortunate dynamic: most chess players want to *play* chess, some
lesser number to write about it, fewer still to still to organize and
administer it. If and when a replacement USCF forms, I predict an
organizational vacuum, likely to be filled by.... And Kin Hubbard's
quip, "It's going to be fun to watch and see how long the meek can
keep the earth after they inherit it" comes to mind.
Old June 20th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

PENSION WOES

If and when a replacement USCF forms, I predict an
organizational vacuum, likely to be filled by....And
Kin Hubbard's quip, "It's going to be fun to watch
and see how long the meek can keep the earth after
they inherit it" comes to mind. -- Mike Murray

I usually agree with Mike Murray, but this time around....

There will be no organization hiatus. he USCF
will immediately be replaced by the USCCF (US
Continental Chess Federation).
..
That appears to be the current plan, probably
worked out in some detail among the major principals.

Concerning legal actions against the USCF, I am
privy to correspondence from certain former employees.

Two points: money at compound interest
calculated over many years is now owed several
employees. Complaints have been filed with certain
federal agencies; and it appears that a devastating
complaint is or soon will be lodged with the IRS.

My advice to these employees is to play
hardball right now. Otherwise bankruptcy may
intervene. They need to get their full pensions out
NOW, NOW, NOW.

I have explained to certain people that they
are dealing with cheaters, and they appreciate this
point perfectly. They must not permit themselves to
be strung along. The politicians with whom they are
dealing understand only force majeure. A
legal-financial clenched fist in the face is just about
the only thing they can comprehend.

Yours, Larry Parr

Old June 20th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

PENSION WOES

.
[...]

Excellent advice, Larry.
Old June 20th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:45:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

PENSION WOES

There will be no organization hiatus. he USCF
will immediately be replaced by the USCCF (US
Continental Chess Federation).

Wow. Seems an egregious conflict of interest, to say the least for
the Federation to be taken over by a private company owned by an EB
member.

Old June 20th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

To answer my own question, it doesn't look promising for them. It
appears they become general creditors in bankruptcy proceedings. Yuk
for the employees.

Brian Lafferty wrote:
Where do pension plan recipients stand in the queue of creditors in
bankruptcy proceedings?

PENSION WOES

Old June 22nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default USCF Boycott Proposal

wrote:

How many employees past and present are impacted by the USCF pension
fiasco? What kind of money are we talking about from the organization's
point of view, and from the average employees point of view? Is there a
legal action already in the works on this matter?

When this organizational monstrosity finally goes under, I suggest
driving a wooden stake through its heart. Perhaps new blood with a
fresh outlook will then be able to save chess in the USA.

An unfortunate dynamic: most chess players want to *play* chess, some
lesser number to write about it, fewer still to still to organize and
administer it. If and when a replacement USCF forms, I predict an
organizational vacuum, likely to be filled by.... And Kin Hubbard's
quip, "It's going to be fun to watch and see how long the meek can
keep the earth after they inherit it" comes to mind.

USCF BOYCOTT

If enough chess players wake up and discover how disgusting chess
politics has become in the USA, a grass roots campaign could be very
effective. Imagine all your chess playing friends wearing buttons on
their shirts that had an iconic picture of an upside down king's crown
with a red circle with a diagonal line through it -- the universal
symbol of denial for "do not go here." Underneath it could say,
"Abandon the USCF!" For good measure we could throw in similar bumper
stickers for cars. Similar activities on the Internet could play an
effective role.

The idea would be a grass roots boycott of the USCF. No one joins,
rejoins or renews. For those that have memberships that need to run
out, they can go to USCF tournaments wearing those buttons and spreading
the word to chess playing friends. Such a campaign might grow slowly at
first, but could gain great momentum.

There is legitimate concern that if we bring down the USCF, that certain
culpable individuals would just infest the next organization to spring
up. For this reason, I'd recommend that the boycott be applied to the
current USCF, any associated organization that a USCF executive board
member is presently involved in, and any follow up organization that
contains any of the current USCF executive board members.

Once such a campaign got rolling, I am betting that we could get good
media coverage from major mainstream media like the New York Times. Any
political activists out there? Feel free to seize the day!
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev. J.D. Walker
Old June 22nd 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

[...]

Just what's needed. Another person telling the chessplayers what to
do.