Old June 19th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Mailing to USCF Delegates and Alternates

Sam Sloan
1664 Davidson Ave., Apt. 1B
Bronx NY 10453-7877

Tel. 917-507-7226

June 22, 2008
To the USCF Delegates:

At the USCF Delegates Meeting in Dallas on August 9-10, 2008, the
delegates will be voting on a motion which has already passed the
board by 6-0 and which, if passed by the delegates, will bring about
fundamental changes in the United States Chess Federation. Here are
some of the changes:

Regular members of the USCF will no longer receive a printed copy of
Chess Life magazine. Instead, they will receive a quarterly bulletin
which will direct them to an online Chess Life that can be read or
downloaded from the Internet.

However, regular members can purchase online a “Premium Membership”
which will entitle them to a printed copy of Chess Life magazine.

The regular membership will cost $29. The premium membership will cost
$42 if purchased online or $49 if purchased by mail or on the
telephone.

Similarly, regular scholastic members will no longer receive a printed
copy of Chess Life 4 Kids magazine. However, on payment of an
additional $7, they will become a “Premium Scholastic Member”, which
will entitle them to receive a printed Chess Life 4 Kids.

Life Members will no longer receive a printed Chess Life magazine,
unless they contact the USCF and specifically request one.

Life Memberships will no longer be sold. However, ten-year memberships
will be sold.

These are just a few of the changes proposed through this sweeping
motion. You should read the actual motion, to see the full breadth of
the changes envisioned.

I believe that this motion, if it passes, will quickly result,
probably within a year, in a complete stop in the printing of Chess
Life and Chess Life 4 Kids magazines. I believe that this will result
in a tremendous drop in the number of USCF members and will bring
about the financial ruin of the federation.

Accordingly, I urge you to vote “No” on this board motion.

Very Truly Yours,

Sam Sloan
USCF Member since 1956
Old June 19th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 19, 2:12 pm, samsloan wrote:

I believe that this motion, if it passes, will quickly result,
probably within a year, in a complete stop in the printing of Chess
Life and Chess Life 4 Kids magazines. I believe that this will result
in a tremendous drop in the number of USCF members and will bring
about the financial ruin of the federation.

Accordingly, I urge you to vote “No” on this board motion.

I agree with Mr. Sloan.

When Life Memberships were originally sold, it
was supposed to include the magazine -- for life.
Now if LMs fail to specifically request it, they will
be cheated out of that part of their New Deal.

It seems that the BG clan wants to cut the one
thing which might be of /some/ value to USCF
members, and which costs real money to
produce. At the same time, they appear to be
spending our tax dollars (or membership dues)
willy-nilly, as if money grew on trees.

Twenty-nine bucks per year for a chess rating?
You gotta be kidding. Even though mine is in
the five-digit range, I ain't gonna pay no stinkin'
$29 per year just to play in rated events, where
the organizers must also pay up to get their
events rated; that's highway robbery.

for, essentially, the cost of postage. All their
serious revenue comes from advertising-- ads
which can make up roughly half the space in
these glossy, picture-filled rags. Why is it
that the USCF can't get their act together?
Ever? Maybe these clowns should all be
"fired" (we could call in Donald Trump), and
replaced by trained professionals... .

-- help bot

Old June 19th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default VOTE YES! Save the federation!!!! Mailing to USCF Delegatesand Alternates

Sam posits that the only reason that there are significant members is
the existence of the publications. Which, under this plan still exist
at the same price.

And if we create cheaper membership, then that will result in the loss
of members and ultimate folding of the federation.

Simple poppycock.

The cost of $49.00 a year for the basic privilege to play in USCF rated
events is simply too high for the average casual player, who likes to
play in tournaments, or would like to, if the first tournament didn't
cost more in associated fees than even the tournament fee is.

We are not going to lose the hardcore player, and the non-playing,
offline magazine reader can still pay $49.00 a year for his printed
magazine.

But for many many other players that play only club games or other
venues because the initial cost is just too high, $29 a year is a much
better and easier buy.

Information is available in many different places, and even magazines
and books are available for chess. The USCF is not filling a unique or
even primary need with the magazine. At one time, it was. But no longer.

Unlike Mr. Sloan, I believe putting less friction on the casual player
should result in MORE not less membership activity. And may indeed be
the kind of transition that helps save the federation.

It is clear that this change, does represent a difference for the Life
Membership's. But two things, the life members are to be afforded the
same privileges of the standard member, and the life members should not
be an albatross that eventually sinks the federation. This overall move
should help lower the annual cost of the life members to the federation.

Save the federation, stop the bleeding. Don't let cost be what chases
the players away. Reform the federation to bring in more players, more
visibility, more sponsorship, less infighting.

"In equality, struggle. In fair play, the truth. Chess."

Old June 20th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

ERIC JOHNSON AGREES AND JERRY HANKEN DISAGREES WITH SAM

I oppose it also.

A reduced rate for a non-magazine membership is worthless as a cost-
savings measure -- the savings will be minimal. The opportunity for
growth (i.e. bringing in people who otherwise would not join at $49)
is also minimal. Thus, if you are not saving BIG money and not GROWING
your revenues and/or customer base...why debase your main product
(dues).

This might make sense if the split were $42 no mag / $55 magazine or
some such...but to actually offer a DISCOUNT to the lowest affinity
members who already pay the full amount...is insane.

That's like sending cents-off coupons to people who already buy your
brand of ketchup every trip to the supermarket. The food manufacturers
HATE doing that...they try to avoid it. Yet, this plan embraces it.

Revenues will drop dramatically. Half my local players would opt for
the cheapest possible membership. Who suffers? USCF...through lower
revenues. And I suffer (as an affiliate holder) in the long run as
these folks don't get Chess Life.

It is an insane plan. I'll believe it when I see offers like "you paid
$300 the last three World Opens...sign up this year for just $100."
You don't offer steep discounts to your consistent customer
base...unless you have solid plans for GROWTH.

-- Eric C. Johnson

In a message dated 6/19/2008 5:45:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Gosh, if Sam is against it, it must be very good for USCF.His
predictions of gloom and doom are, as usual, not based on reason but
his fantasies.

--Jerry Hanken