Old July 18th 03, 04:25 AM
RSHaas

Default Making USCF membership more attractive

Okay, the election is over and there are some promising new EB members.
Now, I wonder what can be done to make an adult USCF membership more
attractive? What can be done to induce me and the many other ex-members to
join the USCF once again?
Hint: I will not join merely to "support the cause of chess in America."
Chess is doing alright in America beyond the walls of the USCF. (RSHaas)
Old July 18th 03, 04:49 AM
Bruce Draney

RSHaas wrote:

Okay, the election is over and there are some promising new EB members.
Now, I wonder what can be done to make an adult USCF membership more
attractive? What can be done to induce me and the many other ex-members to
join the USCF once again?
Hint: I will not join merely to "support the cause of chess in America."
Chess is doing alright in America beyond the walls of the USCF. (RSHaas)

The answer is, not a whole helluva lot. The Board does not have the
power to set or change dues. Only the Delegates can do this. I did not
read through an entire agenda of ADM's for LA, but am relatively certain
that there are no serious proposals on there to drop adult dues. I saw
some proposal that appears to be rescinding the no-mag scholastic
membership, but from what I could tell, this was primarily window
dressing, offering to continue the cheap scholastic membership, but
adding a required magazine. This will neither save money, nor will it
attract adults to join.

Adults will continue to flood out of the organization over the next
year or two in my opinion and barring the Delegates transferring dues
setting authority to the Board or ED (which will not fly I don't
believe), very little good things will probably change over the next
couple years.

The good things that might happen is that a new coalition might emerge
that is less secretive and is much more forward thinking and honest
about how to make USCF viable as an organization.

Down the line, it looks to me like USCF will be a kiddie organization
in about another 5-10 years or it will be gone because it ran out of
money and workable ideas. Some would say it's really already a kiddie
organization, but if the scholastic lobby ever runs 4-5 candidates at a
time, I think they've got a reasonable chance to own the farm.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old July 18th 03, 10:24 PM
Tim Hanke

"Marc Widmaier" wrote ...

As an ex-member of the USCF, the only reasons why I would return a
1. wanting to play in rated tournaments again.
2. Chess Life becomes an excellent magazine, coming close to the
quality of New In Chess

Marc,

If I accomplish nothing else in my time on the Board, I hope I can at least
get something done to make Chess Life better.

Tim Hanke

Old July 18th 03, 10:27 PM
ASCACHESS

Marc,

If I accomplish nothing else in my time on the Board, I hope I can at least
get something done to make Chess Life better.

Tim Hanke

Since Tim runs publications and the website for the Scleroderma Foundation,
this avenue looks promising.

Rp
Old July 19th 03, 02:24 AM
RSHaas

"I did not read through an entire agenda of ADM's for LA, but am relatively
certain
that there are no serious proposals on there to drop adult dues." (Bruce
Draney)
===============
We're stuck with $49. Chess HQ won't give up the revenue to a lower dues
level because they don't know the level that would trigger a turnaround in
adult membership. A decline was underway at $40, so why give up $9 and still
suffer a decline. Meanwhile, the adult decline will put more and more pressure
on the kiddie segment. Eventually kiddie membership will go up and then the
kiddie numbers will top out and start their own decline as ****ed off kiddie
herders opt for non-rated stuff.
If you think Chess HQ has troubles now, wait until the kiddie dream ends.
(RSHaas)
Old July 19th 03, 04:07 AM
Bill Smythe

"Tim Hanke" wrote:
If I accomplish nothing else in my time on the Board, I hope I can at

least
get something done to make Chess Life better.

A laudable goal, of course, but it runs into the problem of who decides
what's better and what's worse. One chess player's meat is another's
poison.

Bill Smythe

Old July 19th 03, 04:31 AM
Tim Hanke

"Bill Smythe" wrote ...
"Tim Hanke" wrote:
If I accomplish nothing else in my time on the Board, I hope I can at

least
get something done to make Chess Life better.

A laudable goal, of course, but it runs into the problem of who decides
what's better and what's worse. One chess player's meat is another's
poison.

Bill Smythe

Bill,

You're right, I guess we can never make any qualitative judgments about
anything, because ultimately, truth is unknowable. Rather than struggle
against this self-evident proposition, we should all just crawl into our
coffins, close the lids, and lie there quietly in the darkness.

I am deeply ashamed for having ventured the rash opinion that Chess Life
could possibly be improved and that I could possibly have any ideas to
improve it.

Tim Hanke

Old July 19th 03, 05:03 AM
Fifiela

I hope I can at least
get something done to make Chess Life better.

Start with a professional editor and poop can fluff celeb peices IMHO; YMMV.