Old June 20th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Anand article in Time

The Indian Defense

By VISWANATHAN ANAND

Time magazine has published an article by Anand:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...815674,00.html

Where did chess begin? For many who play the sport at its highest,
most obsessive levels, that's not just a question of history it's a
matter of ownership, of dominion. We're so completely lost in our
universe of 64 black and white squares that we like to think every
move we make changes the way the world exists. So it's easy for
Russians to imagine that chess began when they started to play it. In
1991, at my first international tournament, in Reggio Emilia in
northern Italy, a Russian grandmaster condescendingly told me I could
at best be a coffee-house player because I had not been tutored in the
Soviet school of chess, which then dominated the sport. With the
arrogance of youth I was 21 I thought to myself, "But didn't we
Indians invent chess? Why shouldn't I have my own route to the top of
the sport?"

Old June 21st 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

I remember it being seriously argued that, since the moves of the
pieces in Chinese Chess are mostly the same as in Shatranj/Charuranga,
why couldn't the *Chinese* have invented Chess, with the Indians
borrowing it?

I doubt that very much, but we can never really be completely sure.

John Savard