Old June 23rd 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Why wikipedia not listing GetClub Chess?

I find many sites listed in Chess Links at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess

I tried to add GetClub Chess Link there but after a few hours I find
my link is deleted.

Can anyone help me how to Link GetClub Chess at wikipedia.

Here is I want to Link.

[ http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html ] Play Chess Online at GetClub.com

Why such a link is not listed at wiki?

Do I need to pay them to get listed?

Anyone knows how to add links at wiki please add my Chess Link to play
Online at wikipedia.

I want my site to be listed on these pages.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_chess
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_engine
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_chess_server

I feel GetClub deserve to be added to above Links.

Anyone who knows how to write at Wikipedia please add my GetClub site
to above pages with appropriate Explanations.

[ http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html ] Play Chess Online at GetClub.com

Thankyou for your efforts.

Bye
Sanny

Old June 23rd 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Sanny wrote:
I find many sites listed in Chess Links at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess

I tried to add GetClub Chess Link there but after a few hours I find
my link is deleted.

Can anyone help me how to Link GetClub Chess at wikipedia.

Why should it be listed there? It's not enough that you want it to be:
there has to be a reason for it, and one that links up with the goals of
Wikipedia in general, and the article from which is linked in particular.

Wikipedia is not a link farm -- it's an encyclopedia (or at least the
next best thing). If the link does not add generally useful information to the
article, it will be dropped, sooner or later.

If you want to know why your link, ask on the Talk page. Or see if there was
a reason listed in the history page.

And don't forget to read the Wikipedidia policies guidlines at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ntent_criteria --
particularly the one that describes what Wikipedia is not.

--
Anders Thulin anders*thulin.name http://www.anders.thulin.name/
Old June 23rd 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 23, 1:59 am, Sanny wrote:
I find many sites listed in Chess Links at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess

I tried to add GetClub Chess Link there but after a few hours I find
my link is deleted.

Can anyone help me how to Link GetClub Chess at wikipedia.

You cannot get listed anywhere on Wikipedia because you are not
"notable".

In order to get listed you have to do something that makes you
notable, such as kill a famous person for example.

Even the self proclaimed Number 1 Chess Website chessville.com has
just been deleted from Wikipedia. Even the great and famous Phil Innes
cannot get listed on Wikipedia.

Thank goodness they are able to keep out some of the riff-raff.

Old June 23rd 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 23, 12:59 am, Sanny wrote:

Do I need to pay them to get listed?

No. That isn't how Wikipedia works. As has been noted, it is intended
that Wikipedia will be generally useful, and thus the decision on
which chess programs are the most important is made in a serious
manner.

3.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_engine

At this link, they are already lisitng quite a few chess engines - and
they're all ones that have been around for a while, and are working
well.

I feel GetClub deserve to be added to above Links.

Thus, the decision isn't yours to make.

But they do have a reason:

from a page like this

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/linkpage.htm

or from a Google search for "chess engine", you will find that there
are MANY chess engines not listed on that Wikipedia page. They only
have room for a few of the best and most well-known.

John Savard
Old June 23rd 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

A good start would be if your program actually played by the
Rules Of The Game.

Next on the list would be to stop spamming newsgroups with
Ludicorus Claims.

Further along you could implement a clean and functional interface
without anoying sounds and a disapearing board etc.

Then, if by some miracle, you accomplish the above then you
could work to enhance playing strength.

If by some act of devine intervention your program manages to rank
in the top 5 in third party trials (as opposed to Sanny fantasies)
then

Your program just might be notable. My guess ... not a chance, ever.

Old June 27th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 22, 11:59 pm, Sanny wrote:

[...]

Can anyone help me how to Link GetClub Chess at wikipedia.

Sanny, make a modest donation to
wikipedia of $10K (ten thousand dollars).
Write on your check: no strings attached.

Good luck,

Wlod
Old June 29th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Sanny wrote:
[...]

Hi. Like an encyclopedia, Wikipedia focuses on information for the
furtherance of knowledge. The Chess Engines list, for example, does not
aim to list all existing engines for purposes of completeness, much less
for commercial purposes, but for the purpose of giving examples for or
illustrating each category. For that purpose, a few will do. So,
naturally, they pick engines with notable characteristics such as
popularity, playing strength, or the length of time it has been in
existence. If an engine does not have any unique characteristic which
could contribute to the topic at hand, then it would not warrant being
included in the list.

On the brighter side, it does not mean that your software is inferior if
it is not unique or notable. Neither does it mean that you cannot launch
it as a successful product. If you can properly market and sell your
software and as a result earn big bucks, who cares whether it's on the
list or not? My point is: for your purpose, it is more important to
learn proper and responsible marketing than it is to be "notable" and be
included in Wikipedia's list. Remember, no one ever associated the words
"unique" or "notable" to Microsoft Windows - but it's a commercial
success. Your software might be the MS Windows in the world of chess
software after you take the time to learn the ropes.

--

--------

"What is history but a lie agreed upon?"
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Old June 30th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 22, 11:59 pm, Sanny wrote:

Can anyone help me how to Link GetClub Chess at wikipedia.

Forget wikipedia. Go with Google's knol.
You will even earn $$ from the ads.

Wlod