Old June 25th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Mottershead Chess Foundation announces 10.5 Million DollarContribution to Chess

The following Press Release has been received from the Mottershead
Chess Foundation:

I am pleased to announce a 10.5 million Dollar contribution to chess
by the Mottershead Chess Foundation. The contribution will take the
form of subscriptions for 2000 USCF-rated players to a top chess web-
site, which I am going to start in the next year or two.

This web site is going to be great! It will be inspiring, educational,
and funny. Everybody is going to love it! The subscriptions have been
valued at $250 per year by a leading chess web-site subscription
evaluator (me), and we are glad to be able to underwrite this
wonderful new program for supporting chess for the next twenty-one
years.

Due to the fact that all the good domain names are taken, the site
will have a somewhat long domain name; "you-cant-fool-chess-but-chess-
can-fool-you.com".
Old June 25th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 25, 7:19 am, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Has Chessville sent a 'reporter' there yet?
Old June 25th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

OOOhhh... Satire...

How about this. Let's call it Two Bit Chess. We will charge USCF
players 25 cents a game to play a game of chess.

We will make literally MILLIONS of dollars that can be spent on
buildings, junkets, insurance and lawyers! Maybe we can get others to
pimp our name out too.

It would be really cool if Two Bit Chess can charge people for the
PRIVILEGE of being charged 25 cents a game!!!!

We could be the COSTCO of Chess!
Old June 25th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"The Historian" wrote in message
[...]

To report what anyone with two functioning brain-cells could see is satire?
That fools many, and fascinatingly, many people said they couldn't
understand FSS material as satire either - there are similarities:-

eg, a "Sloan g-mail", then certain people responding to it within 5
minutes!

As if they would have others take it seriously. As if in fact they were
thicker than 2 short planks, and expect others to be the same. It [email protected]
It completely distracts people who need their doeses of hysteria and
cynicism to orient them to life, and it pleases those who pull their strings

Same pattern here as there.

You think you got to the bottom of things, but there you find unplumbed
dumbth beyond any imagination.

Phil Innes

Old June 25th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 25, 5:00 pm, Mike Murray wrote:

As a good flack, his goal is to call explicit attention to those FSS
posts easily categorized as harmless satire, hoping most people will
similarly categorize the remaining FSS filth and slander.

I really don't believe "good flack" is the appropriate
term here. Let me give an example of what might
rightly be considered /good/ flackery, except that it
was done by the person himself, not his agent:

After the mass media got a hold of stories about
Arnold Swarzennegger having committed various
inappropriate acts, he was questioned point-blank
about it; his reply? "You're going to see a new
Ahhnold." This more-or-less ended the media's
obsession, while a flunky such as nearly-IMnes
would naturally have denied any wrongdoing, and
that would have led to a continuation of the media
circus.

Possibly, it boils down to the small matter of
intelligence: those who haven't got any convince
themselves they can get away with bald-faced
lies, with impunity, while those who have a
reasonable amount of intelligence recognize the
futility of lying and figure out how best to salvage
/something/ from the wreckage.

For this reason I would think the appropriate
term here is apologist, or flunky, or toad-eater.
Certainly, a case could be made that nearly-
IMnes is *trying* to be a good flack, but trying
and doing are two very different things.

-- help bot

Old June 26th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:20:32 -0700 (PDT), help bot
wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:00 pm, Mike Murray wrote:

As a good flack, his goal is to call explicit attention to those FSS
posts easily categorized as harmless satire, hoping most people will
similarly categorize the remaining FSS filth and slander.

I would think the appropriate
term here is apologist, or flunky, or toad-eater.
Certainly, a case could be made that nearly-
IMnes is *trying* to be a good flack, but trying
and doing are two very different things.

Very convincing, Bot. I stand corrected.
Old June 26th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:

On Jun 25, 5:00 pm, Mike Murray wrote:

As a good flack, his goal is to call explicit attention to those FSS
posts easily categorized as harmless satire, hoping most people will
similarly categorize the remaining FSS filth and slander.

I would think the appropriate
term here is apologist, or flunky, or toad-eater.
Certainly, a case could be made that nearly-
IMnes is *trying* to be a good flack, but trying
and doing are two very different things.

Very convincing, Bot. I stand corrected.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of the term 'toad-eater' until now. Curiosity
compelled me to find this explanation:

[ http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-toa1.htm ]

"[Q] From Roberta Groom in the USA: “I have been re-reading Framley
Parsonage by Anthony Trollope and I wonder if you can explain the
derivation of the phrase toad-eater? I can deduce what it means but the
entire process sounds horrid.”

"[A] We have to go back to British market and fairground quack doctors
of the seventeenth century and earlier for the origin of this one. It
was common for such men to have an assistant to do the dirty work, often
somebody young or half-witted or otherwise under the boss’s thumb. As
part of their sales pitch, such fake medical men sometimes made their
assistants eat (or more usually, pretend to eat) a toad.

The common European toad was commonly regarded as poisonous, as the
warty glands on its skin secrete a rather nasty milky fluid when the
animal is threatened (friends who are into natural history report
they’ve handled toads many times and never had any trouble, but then
they’ve not actually tried eating one alive; I’m told a dead one isn’t
poisonous, provided you strip the skin off first, but the experiment is
not to be recommended). The quack doctor would use his nostrums to make
an apparently miraculous cure on his assistant and so enhance his
reputation and his sales.

As a result, toad-eater came to be a nickname for a servile assistant to
a showman. By the following century it had generalised into a term for
any fawning flatterer or sycophant, and by the nineteenth century was
often shortened to toady."

Somehow I doubt that Aussies practice this trade with cane toads...

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ENUqV5-bw ]

.... as you were lads ...
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev. J.D. Walker
Old June 26th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.seduction.fast

Default gordy roy parker tries to seem as if he is a lawyer... kinda funny, pathetic but funny...

gordy roy parker, who has acknowledged that he is NOT the creator of the
concept of the pivot in earlier posts, whined:

Oh, and harassing a litigant is a separate felony (and predicate RICO)
act punishable by 10-20 in club fed.

So are you claiming that if you have ANY kooksuit going then no one can
call you an abrasive asshole without going to jail?

So are you claiming that if you have ANY kooksuit going then no one can
call you a legal buffoon and newzloon without going to jail?

Where, exactly, did you pass your bar exam, gordy roy parker of the
fairfax dump parkers?

--
I'm an opinionated *******. Everything I post is my opinion. If you do
not like my opinions then killfile me - if you like my opinions then send

The KTO Dictionary of Subjective Language

Tard: n Someone whose actions/words make her/him look like an idiot in
public but s/he is too disconnected to reality to realize it.
Old June 26th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 25, 12:03 pm, "Chess One" wrote:
[...]

I gather the answer is "No." There's a golden opportunity, P Innes.
And since you are a gold-digger, you are the best 'man' - if I may
stretch the word to include you - for the job.
Old June 26th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

"Frisco Del Rosario" wrote in message
In article ,

Anatoly Volovich, 2508, on time, from a winning position where I had been
winning the entire opening with a brilliant pawn-sac against a weak line
of

Your greatest chess accomplishment is a LOSS in a *blitz game*, Gordon
Roy Parker.

I had actually beaten an IM in 1990 - but it was in a simul. To my credit
the guy had written 4 books on the Sicilian, so I played it having noticed
that for some inexplicable reason he had ommited Larsen's line [Be6] in the
Pelikan, and I was an expert Pelikan player by virtue of having confused
every line in it with every other for the 30 years.

Actually, he had been walking around in a circle in the sun for a couple
hours, down on Nassau St in Priceton, and was clearly very tired, so a piece
up, 6 moves before the end I offered him a draw with a forced-win on the
board.

That was big of me, no?

Phil Innes

ps: seduction newsgroup eliminated - if Ray/Roy is any estimate of who goes
there... gulp