ChessBanter

ChessBanter (https://www.chessbanter.com/)
-   rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-politics-chess-politics/)
-   -   Needless Chess Life Expense (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-politics-chess-politics/3599-needless-chess-life-expense.html)

ComputerlessBrother July 20th 03 05:59 AM

Needless Chess Life Expense

Why did we have the needless expense of 3 issues of Chess Life with
candidate statements?

I know that bylaws or delegate motion provides for a Free statement in
ONE issue of Chess Life. Can somebody explain why statements appeared
in 3 consecutive issues?

Were any of these statements Paid for by the candidates?

Was there such a lack of chess news that the statements were used as
filler material??

I suppose you maybe (?) could argue that the first OMOV election was
news, but 3 issues worth of news?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that after the 2nd or 3rd month of
this that Chess Life newstand sales [what little there are] had
decreased. IMO 3 issues is clearly not justifiable.

Lawrence Cohen

George John July 20th 03 06:19 AM

Needless Chess Life Expense

"ComputerlessBrother" wrote in message
om...

-snip-

I know that bylaws or delegate motion provides for a Free statement in
ONE issue of Chess Life.

Please quote from the Bylaws any statement or statements that support your
contention above.

-snip-

"Each duly nominated candidate who has met the requirements established in
Section 4 is entitled to a 150 word statement plus photo in the issue of
Chess Life published no later than April 10 of the election year, plus
reasonable and equitable space on the USCF website. Election supplements
shall accompany or be inserted in issues of Chess Life published no later
than May 10 and June 10 of the election year. Each duly nominated candidate
who has met the requirements established in Section 4 is entitled to
one-half page of space in each election supplement. The purchase of
additional campaign space in the election supplements or other USCF
publications is prohibited."

George

StanB July 20th 03 05:03 PM

Needless Chess Life Expense

"George John" wrote in message
. ..

The six candidates paid USCF a total of $1,500 for the pages, which was
clear profit because USCF was going to print the pages anyway.

There are opportunity costs to consider.

Yea like the opportunity to pay someone to write something for those pages.
If you can't cover a membership election in the membership magazine where
can you put it? On the website? Hahahahahahahahaahah.

StanB

ComputerlessBrother July 21st 03 04:23 AM

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message . net...
"ComputerlessBrother" wrote ...
Why did we have the needless expense of 3 issues of Chess Life with
candidate statements?

It was only two issues, not three.

George John's post [after yours] states 1 free issue & 2 paid issues.

The six candidates paid USCF a total of $1,500 for the pages, which was
clear profit because USCF was going to print the pages anyway.

This was the first-ever open election: how were the voters going to know
anything about the candidates if their statements *weren't* published in the
magazine? The alternative seems to be forcing the candidates to rely on
personal spending to conduct direct-mail campaigns, which makes it into a
pure contest of pocketbooks.

Tim Hanke

I wasn't objecting to having the statements in Chess Life. I was
objecting to the possibilty that they were ALL FREE! As you have
pointed out these were statements paid for by the candidates. This
was not mentioned in Chess Life with the statments.

I see no objection to paid statements by the candidates being in Chess
Life, as all the candidates were able to print statements. This was
fair and equitable for all concerned.

Lawrence Cohen

Mike Nolan July 21st 03 07:22 AM

(ComputerlessBrother) writes:

I see no objection to paid statements by the candidates being in Chess
Life, as all the candidates were able to print statements. This was
fair and equitable for all concerned.

This might be seen as splitting hairs, but technically they aren't PAID
statements, they are statements that are part of the three issue election
coverage under OMOV.

I think drawing this distinction is necessary for two reasons:

1. There are postal regulations regarding editorial vs advertising pages.
2. This is the only space in the magazine that candidates may have, they
are specifically forbidden from buying advertising space or having others
buy it for endorsement ads. This may present challenges in 2005 if
any current board members run for re-election.

The $250 filing fee per candidate was intended in part to help defray
some of the costs of holding an OMOV election, including the additional
coverage in Chess Life, though I suspect it covered less than a quarter
of the total costs this year.
--
Mike Nolan
Co-Chair, USCF Election Procedures Committee