Old July 21st 03, 03:13 AM
Wickdeer3

Default A1 Will anybody who voted for Tim Hanke please speak up?

I voted for Hanke, although I did so with some trepidation.

On the plus side, Tim is intelligent and articulate. His issues -- adult vs.
scholastic dues; Chess Life; the webpage, and Kirsan are issues where I agree
with him in general, if not necessarily in the specifics of his proposals.

On the minus side, he periodically displays a talent for (and a delight in)
ticking folks off, a habit that I hope he can curtail in the board context.

What tipped the balance for me was that Tim could bring the viewpoint of a
small club director -- the person who is widely viewed as the "backbone" of US
Chess, but whose voice in USCF politics seems drowned out by big organizers,
scholastic coaches, and officers of large state organizations.

The other factor was that three of the six major candidates were unacceptable
to me, for a variety of reasons. I ended up voting for two declared
candidates, and a write-in.

Wick Deer