Old July 27th 03, 02:22 PM

Default Harold C. Schonberg, music critic and chess journalist, has died

Harold C. Schonberg, music critic and chess journalist, has died

Harold Schonberg, 87, died yesterday, July 26, at St. Luke's Hospital
in New York. Schonberg was a regular player at the Manhattan Chess
Club for decades and was a life member of the United States Chess
Federation. He was perhaps the world's most influential music critic
and he also wrote about chess.

Whenever an item of chess news was sufficiently important to make the
front page of the New York Times, it would usually be Schonberg who
would write the article, not the regular chess columnist. Even after
his official retirement, Schonberg would come out when needed to write
important articles about chess for the Times.

An example of this occurred in 1986, when the Polgar Family came from
Hungary to play in the New York Open. They entered little Judit Polgar
in the lowly unrated section, a section that nobody ever paid any
attention to, hoping to keep the secret of how strong Judit really
was. Judit swept the field. The next morning, front page headlines in
the New York Times appeared: "Nine-year-old girl wins $4,000 in chess
tournament". The article was by Harold Schonberg.

Harold Schonberg won the Pulitzer Prize as Music Critic for The Times.
Although his articles about chess are less well known, they were more
widely read and probably had bigger long-term impact than any other
articles about chess. The articles in the Times about the famous 1972
Fischer-Spassky match in Iceland were mostly written by Harold
Schonberg. It is arguably true that it was Harold Schonberg who made
Bobby Fischer the household word he became.

My ex-wife Anda is a concert pianist and accompanist. She is also the
mother of my son, Peter, who is a rated chess master. Harold Schonberg
once wrote a favorable review of Anda in the Music Section of the New
York Times. Although only one sentence long, this music review remains
Anda's proudest accomplishment. Apparently, it was not easy to get a
favorable review from Harold Schonberg.

Sam Sloan

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/27/ob...es/27SCHO.html

Old July 27th 03, 05:15 PM
ASCACHESS

An example of this occurred in 1986, when the Polgar Family came from
Hungary to play in the New York Open. They entered little Judit Polgar
in the lowly unrated section, a section that nobody ever paid any
attention to, hoping to keep the secret of how strong Judit really
was. Judit swept the field. The next morning, front page headlines in
the New York Times appeared: "Nine-year-old girl wins $4,000 in chess
tournament". The article was by
Harold Schonberg.

Sam Sloan

The chess world is less for Harold Schonberg's passing.

Sadly, the chess world is less for Sam Sloan staying.

Sam's facts are, as usual, wrong regarding the paragraph above relating to
Judit's participation in the New York Open.
If Sam doesn't know what section she was in or how much money she won, does it
matter? Or are we just numbed to the fact that if Sam doesn't know the facts,
he just makes them up.

Carry on Sam. Maybe the Chessdon Journalism Awards will create a category for
fiction.

RIchard Peterson

Old July 28th 03, 03:08 AM
Tim Hanke

It sounds like Burt Hochberg would be the best man to write the Chess Life
obit for Schonberg.

Tim Hanke

"Miriling" wrote in message
Subject: Harold C. Schonberg, music critic and chess journalist, has

died

On 27 July 2003 (Burtsky) replied in
Harold Schonberg and I met often.I admired his terse writing style and

his
vast
knowledge, particularly about pianists. Music is my lifelong passion,
particulary pianists, and so whenever we met I wanted to talk about

music.
But
Harold's passion was chess, particularly Bobby Fischer, and that's what

he
wanted to talk about.

-snip-

The obit in the Times misidentified the person playing chess with Harold

in
the
picture. (Alas, the Times is not what it used to be.) That is certainly

not
Bobby. I think it's Frank Brady, now on the USCF Executive Board. The

chess
table appears to be the one Fischer and Spassky played on in Reykjavik

-snip-

Burt Hochberg

Although the New York Times did a fairly good obit on Schonberg (as it

was
obligated to do), The Associated Press did a poor job on his obituary. All

that
AP said about Schonberg's chess writings were four words: "He also covered
chess..."
No mention of Schonberg's articles on the 1972 Fischer-Spassky match; no
mention of his well-written Grandmasters of Chess book.
It is hoped that Chess Life will have a feature article, i.e. obit, on
Schonberg in its issue that comes out in September (October issue). Former

CL
editor Burt Hochberg, who responded informatively to this thread, would
certainly like to see one as well as I. He knew Schonberg very well.

George Mirijanian
(with best regards to Burt)

Old July 28th 03, 07:25 PM
StanB

"Burtsky" wrote in message

The obit in the Times misidentified the person playing chess with Harold

in the
picture. (Alas, the Times is not what it used to be.)

Them damn journalist never pay attention to detail. If I make careless
mistakes I get sued for negligence. If they make careless mistakes they hide
behind the first amendment.

StanB

Old July 28th 03, 08:33 PM
Doctor SBD

Them damn journalist never pay attention to detail. If I make careless
mistakes I get sued for negligence.

With the recent flak over the "Bambi video" and "hunts" in Nevada, journalists
are looking worse than ever. I know when I used to freelance for some
magazines, I had to provide all my sources or they wouldn't publish the
article. Journalistic integrity seems to be as much as a contradiction in terms
as military intelligence these days.

SBD
Old July 29th 03, 01:17 AM
Robert Musicant

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
Harold C. Schonberg, music critic and chess journalist, has died

His book, "Grandmasters of Chess," is a good survey of world champions and
other top players from Morphy through Fischer.