Old July 29th 03, 07:10 PM
Miriling

Default Bob Hope and Bobby Fischer

With the death of Bob Hope this week, one should be reminded of the fact that
Bobby Fischer made a special guest appearance on one of Hope's TV specials in
the fall of 1972. I remember reading somewhere that Hope stated that Fischer
was the worst person he ever had to do deal with on his TV show.
Brad Darrach, who wrote Bobby Fischer vs. the Rest of the World, doesn't go
into detail about Fischer's appearance on Hope's show, but he does point out
that Fischer showed up at the show with his bodyguard, a fellow named Palsson,
whom Fischer before the show failed to tell Hope that he was with. According to
Darrach, Hope said after the show "Oh, too bad! If I had known, we'd have used
him!"
Does anybody know the exact date of that Hope TV special with Fischer as a
guest?

George Mirijanian
Old August 6th 03, 10:41 AM
Peter van der Hoog

Margaret Ostrovsky met Bobby Fischer? You also still believe in Santa
Claus, Todd? With your persistent support of this fake story, I start
to believe you have a stake in it.

Regarding Palsson: He gives comment on Fischer in the Icelandic
interview. Better contact him.

http://www.strik.is/frettir/egill/re...0janúar%202002
Old August 6th 03, 05:19 PM
Don Mihokovich

(Miriling) wrote in message ...
With the death of Bob Hope this week, one should be reminded of the fact that
Bobby Fischer made a special guest appearance on one of Hope's TV specials in
the fall of 1972. I remember reading somewhere that Hope stated that Fischer
was the worst person he ever had to do deal with on his TV show.
Brad Darrach, who wrote Bobby Fischer vs. the Rest of the World, doesn't go
into detail about Fischer's appearance on Hope's show, but he does point out
that Fischer showed up at the show with his bodyguard, a fellow named Palsson,
whom Fischer before the show failed to tell Hope that he was with. According to
Darrach, Hope said after the show "Oh, too bad! If I had known, we'd have used
him!"
Does anybody know the exact date of that Hope TV special with Fischer as a
guest?

George Mirijanian

________________________________

There is mention of the episode here on the John B. Henderson (a/k/a
"the Scotsman") chess site:

http://www.rochadekuppenheim.de/heco/ar0208.html.
Look under 15th August, 2002, wherein it states:

"Sadly for his legions of fans, apart from a guest appearance on the
"Bob Hope Christmas Special of 1972", where he played the comedian in
a special challenge match that ended abruptly with Hope capturing all
of Fischer's pieces a la checkers-style, this was the last public game
Fischer played for almost twenty years as he turned into a virtual
recluse."

However, on the Bob Hope filmography, found he
http://www.imdb.com/Name?Hope,+Bob; there is no such "Bob Hope
Chrismas Special of 1972." The closest appears to be The Bob Hope
Vietnam Chrismas Show of 1971. I was only 6 then, so I do not know
which (if any) is correct.

KidDon
Old August 7th 03, 04:32 PM
Todd E. Flambers

Margaret Ostrovsky met Bobby Fischer? You also still believe in Santa
Claus, Todd? With your persistent support of this fake story, I start
to believe you have a stake in it

No matter whether she met or didn`t meet, she might know the date as well.

Old August 8th 03, 01:26 AM
Bill Brock

(Don Mihokovich) wrote in message . com...
(Miriling) wrote in message ...
[...]

The show (which I saw as a kid) probably aired in October 1972, very
soon after Reykjavik & the Munich Olympics. The other featured guest
was heartthrob Mark Spitz.