Old August 1st 03, 01:23 PM
John Fernandez

Default Dr. Mig? (still a f)

Sam Sloan wrote:

I see. But, have you ever seen him actually win a game? I mean like
has it ever happened that his opponent extended his hand across the
board and said, "I resign".

You see, we in chess think that it does not matter much that a player
gets the better position in nearly game. What matters is whether the
player actually wins a few games.

Have you ever seen Mig win one?

Sam Sloan

I don't know if EZoto has, but I have. He was at the Marshall during the
Generation Chess International and playing a foreign FM who was hanging out at
the tournament some blitz. Mig won his share, but I think he ended up down
overall.

John Fernandez
Old August 1st 03, 04:34 PM
Looney

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
On 30 Jul 2003 09:25:28 -0700, (FirebrandX)
wrote:

EZoto wrote in message

news:[email protected] .
Well when you have guys who believe they are at a high level
( whatever that is? ) and feel they are immortal, then when they fall
they fall pretty hard and realize mortality. Yes it is true. There
are guys with worse attitudes than Sam Sloan. Frightening indeed!

EZoto

You know Mig takes a lot of undue heat from player-haters and it's
pretty childish from what I've been reading. I've personally watched
Mig play casual games with other masters and I'll be DAMNED if anyone
is going to tell me he is sub-1900 strength. I watched him play a
series of blitz games against a 2400 IM and in nearly every game Mig
got the better position but lost on time.

I see. But, have you ever seen him actually win a game? I mean like
has it ever happened that his opponent extended his hand across the
board and said, "I resign".

You see, we in chess think that it does not matter much that a player
gets the better position in nearly game. What matters is whether the
player actually wins a few games.

Have you ever seen Mig win one?

In "Searching for Bobby Fischer," Fred Waitzkin relates a match of 1 minute
bullet games between (IM, IIRC) Victor Frias and an unnamed "weak master"
who played in a park in LA. Victor lost every game on time, often only a
couple of moves from checkmate. When Victor suggested increasing the time
to 75 seconds, the man refused.

Who was the stronger player, Sam?

--
Looney