Old August 3rd 03, 02:49 PM
Hal Terrie

Default U.S. Open Advance Entries

George Mirijanian expresses dismay about the number of advance entries
listed on the USCF web site. I've just arrived in LA and spoke to
Jerry Hanken last night. He told me that, due to an error by the USCF
office, not all the advance entries are listed yet. He still hopes to
get 600 players by the end of the event.

-- Hal Terrie
Old August 4th 03, 12:47 AM
Ben Finegold

When I went to the US Open in Pasadena, 1983....there were over 700
players. The US Open seems to get between 385 (Jacksonville and
Philly) to about 800 (Pasadena).

I *thought* that LA would get 600-700...but according to what I am
reading, it looks like 550-550 may be about right. That is not very
good.

I would like to play in a one round a day event like the US
Open....but the venue hotel is way too expensive, and the airfare from
Detroit to LA is outrageous, and the USCF is involved.... which is ok,
as I have other obligations.

US Open's get good turnouts due to a local presence. I am surprised
LA could not get more locals...Pasadena sure did (although they had
Korchnoi, sort of by chance).

I think in the late 80s (or maybe 1990 or 1991, I forget) that the US
Open was in LA and was very strong and well attended. Anyone have the
numbers for the last US Open in LA?

The US Open started going downhill in 1992, in Detroit, when the USCF
decided to *mail* the prizes afterwards, instead of awarding them in a
prize ceremony, as they did in past events. I am pretty sure there
are people to this day who have not receieved their prize from that
event (yep, 11 years ago). I believe I called thr USCF office 4 times
and waited 2 months to get my prize. The following year, in Philly
1993...I simply faxed the office a week after the event and suggested
Al Lawrence resign if he was incapable of signing checks, and got my
prize a week later, after he called me and lied non-stop for 5
minutes. Since then, I try to avoid ANY tournament the USCF has any
part of, and I have had little trouble getting payment.

The US Open used to be fun, back in the day.

BPF