Old August 8th 03, 01:10 AM
Duncan Oxley

Default Why the Silence?

I was expecting Tim Hanke to be posting reports
from LA by now.

Even Sam Sloan has not posted anything.

Old August 8th 03, 06:37 AM
John Fernandez

Given the way that the hotels tend to completely rip you off when you use the
phone to log into the Internet, reading all this nonsense isn't a good idea.

John Fernandez
Old August 8th 03, 09:50 AM
John Fernandez

All the hotels in my town (Marina, CA) have banners
screaming "Free High Speed Internet Access".

Wow. That's a rarity. Getting high speed is hard enough- getting it for free is
even harder.

John Fernandez
Old August 8th 03, 09:56 AM
Kenneth Sloan

eepmeep (John Fernandez) writes:

Given the way that the hotels tend to completely rip you off when you use the
phone to log into the Internet, reading all this nonsense isn't a good idea.

John Fernandez

You still use dial-up?

The LAX Radisson has high speed Internet access for $50/week($10/day).
I've been online since I arrived. I couldn't find any wireless
networks to freeload on, so I'm paying for the EtherNet wire.

Most folk here are too busy to post reports. Committee workshops
started Wednesday - Delegates' Meeting is Saturday&Sunday.

The EB meeting this morning was very short. The old and new EB was
meeting this evening - presumably settling on an interim ED. Senior
staff can be seen chatting in small groups and generally looking unhappy
and stressed. I suspect there will be a lot of work to do to prepare
for the Delegates' Meetings on Saturday and Sunday. I suppose there's a
chance that an announcement will be made on Friday (I see by the clock
on the wall that it's Friday already...must sleep!) but perhaps that
won't happen until Saturday. The smart money is on an interim ED
followed by a formal search - which I would expect to take a
considerable amount of time; a year would not surprise me. I'd say that
the chances of an interim appointment becoming permanent are about 50-50.

The Chess Trust meeting was marked by technical difficulties - half of
the Chess Trust board participated via a conference call that took eons
to get working. The scheduled Internet Chess workshop was not held, for
lack of a chair to lead it - but the time was profitably filled by long
discussions about the Website and generic MIS issues. These discussions
were substantive and productive, in my opinion.

Friday afternoon will be the Finance Workshop. *That* should be
.... interesting.

The highlights so far have been two very nice evening presentations on
The Turk. Joe Wagner is going out in style, demonstrating a lot of
class. He exemplifies my idea of a good EB member - he worked hard for
USCF *before* he was elected, and I suspect he'll continue to make
strong contributions after he leaves the board.

The players are slogging through the "sort-em-out" rounds. Real Chess
begins on Sunday when everybody will be in the pool - including your
faithful Delegates playing in the Busy Person schedule.

--
Kenneth Sloan

Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham FAX (205) 934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
http://www.cis.uab.edu/info/faculty/sloan/
Old August 8th 03, 12:45 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , John Fernandez
says...

All the hotels in my town (Marina, CA) have banners
screaming "Free High Speed Internet Access".

Wow. That's a rarity. Getting high speed is hard enough- getting it for free is
even harder.

John Fernandez

I'm currently in a hotel in Podunk, Wi where it is free. It is sometimes up to
$13 per day.

Alternatively, dial into a local service. MSN, AOL, and others allow that as do
local providers, so that signing up for a 1 month local service may be cheaper.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 8th 03, 02:11 PM
ASCACHESS

All the hotels in my town (Marina, CA) have banners
screaming "Free High Speed Internet Access".

Mea Culpa

Wow!
You guys will protest anything.
First, Bobby Seale, then the Chicago Seven. Who would have thought?

Rp
Old August 8th 03, 11:07 PM
John Fernandez

Friday afternoon will be the Finance Workshop. *That* should be
... interesting.

The current fun rumor:

It's been claimed that 3 year memberships have been booked as 2/3 current
revenue and 1/3 future revenue, when it should probably be the other way
around. Rumor has it that we're +250,000 or so with it this way, but that we
actually lost money if it's the other way around.

Whee!

John Fernandez
Old August 9th 03, 02:45 PM

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:10:05 -0700, "Duncan Oxley"
wrote:

I was expecting Tim Hanke to be posting reports
from LA by now.

Even Sam Sloan has not posted anything.

Sam Sloan is not in LA, as far as I know.

I will be very interested to learn whether Tim Hanke is in LA or not.

Old August 9th 03, 03:06 PM
RSHaas

Given the revelation of the surprisingly large USCF loss, I would expect EB
members to be reserved in their comments.. if they comment at all. They'll need
time to "think it over." (RSHaas)