Old August 11th 03, 12:47 AM
John Fernandez

Default USCF's New Officers

President: Beatriz Marinello
Vice President: Steve Shutt
VP Finance: Tim Hanke
Secretary: Frank Brady

Wow. There's hope for us all.

John Fernandez
Old August 11th 03, 12:51 AM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Breaking News
says...

The USCF Web site is reporting that the new officers a

President: Beatriz Marinello
Vice President: Steve Shutt
VP Finance: Tim Hanke
Secretary: Frank Brady

Holy ****.

Maybe things do change.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 11th 03, 01:36 AM
WPraeder

The USCF Web site is reporting that the new officers a

President: Beatriz Marinello
Vice President: Steve Shutt
VP Finance: Tim Hanke
Secretary: Frank Brady

Congratulations to the new officers. They have their work cut out for them
between now and 2005. I don't think this election was quite the crackpot scheme
some people made it out to be. We will see if the new officers can rally some
talent to help salvage what is left of the Federation or if things will be the
same as before.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old August 11th 03, 02:01 AM
JimEade

The USCF Web site is reporting that the new officers a

President: Beatriz Marinello
Vice President: Steve Shutt
VP Finance: Tim Hanke
Secretary: Frank Brady

Interesting. The new board isn't scheduled to meet until tomorrow. However,
if this report is true, I couldn't be happier.

James Eade
Remove the Sheesh to respond. Don't worry. Talk happy.
Old August 11th 03, 03:39 AM
Bill Smythe

"Breaking News" wrote:
President: Beatriz Marinello

Wow !! This could result in some much-needed unity AND in the courage to
try new ideas.

Vice President: Steve Shutt

OK.

VP Finance: Tim Hanke

Hmm. Well, this should be the end of financial cover-ups, at least.

Secretary: Frank Brady

OK.

By the way, to what do we attribute the prompt posting of these results on
the USCF web? Is there already going to be a big improvement in this
website?

Bill Smythe

Old August 11th 03, 04:58 AM
Bruce Draney

Michael Ferguson wrote:

On 10 Aug 2003 16:33:58 -0700, (Breaking
News) wrote:

The USCF Web site is reporting that the new officers a

President: Beatriz Marinello
Vice President: Steve Shutt
VP Finance: Tim Hanke
Secretary: Frank Brady

I don't see how this group is going to be any less corrupt or inept
than the past leadership. They should all just resign now, before the
scandals of past administrations catch up to them.

Best of luck,

-- mcf

Let's see here, Beatriz is Pres. and Shutt is Vice President. Looks
like the scholastic takeover is almost complete. I can't imagine this
group being worse than what it is taking over for. Thank goodness that
Frank Camaratta and John McCrary are no longer running things. I
actually liked Brady really well when I met him in Framingham and
couldn't for the life of me figure out why he run and why he had cast
his lot with Don Schultz and John McCrary.

My primary concern and I told Beatriz this, was that she would ignore
adult chess problems and concerns and would spend all of her time and
attention catering to the special interests of scholastic chess.

I would be curious what important motions if any were passed by the
Delegates at the meetings. While my belief that the Delegates could or
would do anything of consequence to the present leadership it appears
that the general view is that new leadership was needed both on the
Board and in the office.

This past year there were many serious mistakes made, and if there is
any bright spot in the darkness, I would say that having Hanke, and
Marinello put in and Frank C. and John M. dropped is a very positive
sign.

Best Regards,

Bruce

I note also that two RGCPer's are now occupying officer's spots on the
Board. We can only hope that board secrecy will abate for a time and
that these two won't merely stop posting here because they are now
officers on the Board.
Old August 11th 03, 06:13 AM
Parrthenon

IS TONY COTTELL NOW LOOKING GOOD?

By Larry Parr

Former USCF treasurer Tony Cottell was often accused of being an ax
murder waiting to happen. Words used to describe the man included "knife,"
"razor," "Lizzy Borden," "Tony the Ripper" and so on.

The single constant was that Tony had something invidious to do with
blades.

Still, one recollects that Tony's single theme message was not to let
the politicians touch the LMA. If new equipment were needed for the office,
then he favored purchasing it straight out and opposed amortizing its costs
over its lifespan. Costs had to be assumed up front right in the here and NOW.

I am not saying that Tony's way of doing business was right, but I do
say that if we had kept the politicians out of the LMA, then the Federation
would have reached its current crunch point about seven years ago. We would
have faced laying off staff and suspending this program or that program -- and
we would have done so, while still having about 1.5 million dollars and an
unencumbered building on the plus side of the ledger.

In short, hard decisions would have been made from a position of
strength rather than from weakness.

I am NOT saying that Tony Cottell was not Jack the Ripper. I am saying
that he understood the little picture rather than the bigger picture quite
well. He understood the nature of the "volunteer" chess politician.

So bring back Al Lawrence. Induce Frank Camaratta to head up the
Crossville move with the promise of eventually becoming ED (if necessary, the
promise can be ruthlessly broken). Finally, we need to start killing people.

The last-mentioned step may be the most important.

Old August 11th 03, 06:16 AM
James B. Shearer

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message ...
"Breaking News" wrote:
President: Beatriz Marinello

Wow !! This could result in some much-needed unity AND in the courage to
try new ideas.

Vice President: Steve Shutt

OK.

VP Finance: Tim Hanke

Hmm. Well, this should be the end of financial cover-ups, at least.

Secretary: Frank Brady

OK.

By the way, to what do we attribute the prompt posting of these results on
the USCF web? Is there already going to be a big improvement in this
website?

Bill Smythe

Not that I want to give Draney a stroke or anything but this was
in fact reported on Bill Goichberg's chessnews.org website and is not
on the USCF website as far as I can tell. Goichberg also reports that
it is rumored that McCrary is going to resign from the board and that
the delegates referred a lot of motions to the new board to give them
a free hand.
James B. Shearer
Old August 11th 03, 07:54 AM
RSHaas

"So bring back Al Lawrence." (Larry Parr)
Weren't we lead to believe that Al's boss rather tied his hands in re USCF
matters? Al needs to be involved with the USCF about as much as he needs a
third nostril. (RSHaas)