Old August 11th 03, 06:04 AM
Douglas L Stewart

Default project to help the USCF?

I've been trying to contact the USCF to volunteer my time to help with any
computer projects. I normally have been billed out at $100-$250 an hour
when I did this back as a consultant, and I'm offering to help for free.
Unfortunately I can't seem to get any response.

So I've been thinking -- how can I work on a project that helps USCF without
any communication back from USCF?

I think I've finally come up with something. Data entry for tournaments
submitted on paper has to be a huge pain.

How about coming up with a web site that will allow someone to enter
tournament results and tournament administrator (or whatever it is called
these days) formatted files come back out? These could be either downloaded
by the TD or emailed to USCF. As a TD you might not own swiss sys or
something comparable, but if you had an easy to use web based system to fill
out a report you might use it. I know I would!

Anyone interested in assisting?

(It definitely cross my mind that we need to come up with some kind of
alternate web-based low overhead rating authority in the case that USCF
continues to dwindle. Perhaps putting something like this online would be
the beginning.)

Let me know what you think.

---
Douglas L Stewart

Old August 11th 03, 06:57 AM
RSHaas

I'll voluteer to identify any snake that shows up on the Crossville property.
If it's a copperhead or timber rattler the EB can take up serpents and pray.
They already speak in tongues. (RSHaas)
Old August 12th 03, 03:26 AM
George John

"Kevin L. Bachler" wrote in message
Data entry for rating tournaments is one good idea. USCF first needs a

new
database for rating and membership info. Then, a system that would accept
entries and pass this to organizers, as well as accept files back for

ratings
(or input for ratings) are all key ideas.

Contact George John. He is on the right committee.

I would recommend contacting the CIO. His e-mail address can be found at
http://www.uschess.org/about/contact.html

George

Old August 12th 03, 03:45 AM
George John

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote in message
I've been trying to contact the USCF to volunteer my time to help with any
computer projects. I normally have been billed out at $100-$250 an hour
when I did this back as a consultant, and I'm offering to help for free.
Unfortunately I can't seem to get any response.

So I've been thinking -- how can I work on a project that helps USCF

without
any communication back from USCF?

I think I've finally come up with something. Data entry for tournaments
submitted on paper has to be a huge pain.

You may be shocked (I was) to learn that, with the current systems,
submitting a tournament report electronically requires MORE work than if
submitted by diskette. One reason for this is the current software can only
read information from a diskette! I'm NOT joking!! There is also the
matter of how to handle payment.

How about coming up with a web site that will allow someone to enter
tournament results and tournament administrator (or whatever it is called
these days) formatted files come back out? These could be either

downloaded
by the TD or emailed to USCF. As a TD you might not own swiss sys or
something comparable, but if you had an easy to use web based system to

fill
out a report you might use it. I know I would!

Anyone interested in assisting?

I guess what you could do is create a Web program that creates the diskette,
and the required reports. However, I think Tom Doan has said he would be
willing to enhance his demo version of WinTD so that it could be used enter
tournaments after the fact and write tournament files. Your added value
would be for those who don't want to download WinTD or want to learn how to
use it, or lack a machine that can run it.

(It definitely cross my mind that we need to come up with some kind of
alternate web-based low overhead rating authority in the case that USCF
continues to dwindle. Perhaps putting something like this online would be
the beginning.)

Let me know what you think.

What is needed is what is currently happening, which is a systematic, and
total revision of the database, work processes, and supporting software.
Mike Nolan has been working on this with Gary Prince. Given that Mike has
just been named Chief Operating Officer, and the changes on the EB, I expect
the upgrade will FINALLY get the funding and priority it has long deserved,
and the work flow processes will also be overhauled as well.

I don't know if I will be continuing as MIS Committee Chair or not.
However, I think with the recent, and surprising changes, that have just
happened, it is likely I will be willing to continue should the EB ask me to
continue. Please send me an e-mail asking that you be added to the MIS &
Website Committees. Maybe THIS year the office and/or EB will actually ask
us to work on something and there will be a real chance that the office will
actually welcome our help.

George

Old August 12th 03, 04:06 AM
Bill Smythe

"George John" wrote:
.... the current software can only
read information from a diskette! I'm NOT joking!! ....

There is an old-fashioned DOS way around this problem. I should know, I'm
an old-fashioned DOS programmer. I still use Microsoft Quick-C, and even
interpretive GW-BASIC.

If the file to be read is on, say, the directory C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS , then
just go to a DOS prompt and type SUBST A: C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS . This
fools the software into believing that the C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS directory is
a diskette.

Bill Smythe

Old August 12th 03, 04:38 AM
George John

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message
"George John" wrote:
.... the current software can only
read information from a diskette! I'm NOT joking!! ....

There is an old-fashioned DOS way around this problem. I should know, I'm
an old-fashioned DOS programmer. I still use Microsoft Quick-C, and even
interpretive GW-BASIC.

If the file to be read is on, say, the directory C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS ,

then
just go to a DOS prompt and type SUBST A: C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS . This
fools the software into believing that the C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS directory

is
a diskette.

Looks like you aren't running with Windows NT, 2000 Pro, or XP Pro. Is that
right? It failed on all three of those OS's.

I did get this to work with Windows 98. I assume it will work in 95 and ME,
too, but I didn't try those OS's.

George

Old August 12th 03, 06:05 AM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , George John says...

"George John" wrote:
.... the current software can only
read information from a diskette! I'm NOT joking!! ....

There is an old-fashioned DOS way around this problem. I should know, I'm
an old-fashioned DOS programmer. I still use Microsoft Quick-C, and even
interpretive GW-BASIC.

If the file to be read is on, say, the directory C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS ,

then
just go to a DOS prompt and type SUBST A: C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS . This
fools the software into believing that the C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS directory

is
a diskette.

Looks like you aren't running with Windows NT, 2000 Pro, or XP Pro. Is that
right? It failed on all three of those OS's.

I did get this to work with Windows 98. I assume it will work in 95 and ME,
too, but I didn't try those OS's.

George

I think Win 98 still has actual DOS, while the later OS's have an emulator.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 14th 03, 01:12 PM
Bill Smythe

"Kevin L. Bachler" wrote:
I think Win 98 still has actual DOS, while the later OS's have an

emulator.

Whatever you call it, it's still useful, and it sure looks like DOS to me.
On some systems you can choose the RUN option from the START menu, then run
"CMD" or "CMD.EXE".

Bill Smythe

Old August 15th 03, 02:19 AM
George John

"J A C" wrote in message
om...

-snip-

It does work ok in 95 and also in XP Home - at least if the drive
letter hasn't already been assigned to a floppy or other drive. SUBST
B: C:\RATINGS\WHATSIS works fine and the tournament entry program
should accept files from the B: "drive".

This works fine on XP Pro, too. I expect the same would be true for NT and
2000 Pro.

Would the ratings program allow use of a "B:" drive? I wonder ...

Also, if I'm not mistaken,
the ratings department is currently using all Win95 machines anyway.

Sad to say, I think you are right.

George