Old August 11th 03, 08:37 AM
Bruce Draney

Default A New Coalition?

The selection of officers for the new Board suggests a major realignment
of the planets which is a very positive step in my view. Out is John
McCrary and Frank Camaratta. In addition Don Schultz is not made an
officer at all. The President is none other than Beatriz, the first
woman to ever hold the USCF Presidency in our history. VP is Shutt,
Treasurer is Hanke and Secretary is Brady who was rumored over the past
several months to have become quite disenchanted with the way things
were going.

These 4 officers together control the future of the USCF and can vote in
or vote out anything they want that the Delegates haven't reserved for
themselves.

The USCF desperately cries out for intelligent and competent leadership
having gone for almost 8 years without any. We are to the put up or
shut up point and drastic times call for drastic measures. Staff cuts
are a virtual certainty and everyone's ox may be a target for goring
before this is all over. Without knowing for sure what the delegates
did, it's difficult to yet say how successful the new Board will be, but
if Shutt, Marinello, Hanke and Brady can hang together they could forge
a new coalition that would break the hold that the
Schultz-Goichberg-Smith-McCrary wing of the organization has had on USCF
for years. It is a breath of fresh air to see Hanke as VP of Finance
instead of Camaratta. Perhaps the USCF will return to selling its own
items rather than putting large amounts of free advertising out for
HOS.

Still, taking over now, is like having Captain Smith appoint you as
helmsman while the band begins playing Nearer My God to Thee. It may
all be too little to late. One thing we can be certain of and that is
with a President and Vice President with major scholastic ties, they
will find it very difficult to pass fee increases on the children and
coaches. I will frankly be amazed if USCF can do much of anything other
than slash expenses to the bone, further damaging customer service which
is pretty bad already.

One can rest assured that people will continue to complain about
unanswered phones, late Chess Lifes, TLA boneheaded errors and rating
backlogs. USCF is going to have a hard time explaining this to the
membership, particularly since they've been bragging all year about how
things have turned around under the able leadership of Frank Niro and
the McCrary Board.

The old Chinese curse comes to mind about living in interesting times.
The next couple years at USCF should be "interesting" times.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 11th 03, 03:22 PM
Stewart Q. Sutton

Bruce Draney wrote in message ...
The selection of officers for the new Board suggests a major realignment
of the planets which is a very positive step in my view.

snip

A more cynical view might be that the bust-out of the USCF is nearly
complete and these four have been selected as the patsies to be left
holding the bag when the doors get chained shut by the receiver.

Does anyone really believe that the USCF is at this point capable of
generating a surplus of $200,000 next year? And if they claimed that
they did, should we believe them or not?
Old August 11th 03, 04:05 PM
Bruce Draney

RSHaas wrote:

You give them a couple of years, huh, Bruce? (RSHaas)

Well, I was feeling magnanimous last night. They might not even make
it until next summer with adult dues still at $49.00/year. I seriously
doubt the Delegates were smart enough to consider dropping adult dues,
but I await with bated breath the chance to be proven wrong.

The real question will be whether they can hang on long enough to make
next year's move. It might be time also to consider suspending the
publication of Chess Life for several months and trimming all
departments by at least 2-3 employees. This will cause problems with
customer service and will further cause deterioration of office morale,
but at this point we're at the emergency surgery or die phase of things,
so these employees will ALL lose their jobs if some drastic improvement
is not seen.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 12th 03, 03:46 AM
StanB

"Stewart Q. Sutton" wrote in message
om...

Bruce Draney wrote in message

The selection of officers for the new Board suggests a major realignment
of the planets which is a very positive step in my view.

snip

A more cynical view might be that the bust-out of the USCF is nearly
complete and these four have been selected as the patsies to be left
holding the bag when the doors get chained shut by the receiver.

BANG. Give the man a cigar.

StanB