Old August 12th 03, 03:53 PM
Paul Truong

Default The new EB board is moving quickly with decisions

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT: Paul Truong
August 11, 2003 (845) 562-8350, ext. 144
PRESS RELEASE 24 of 2003

Truong and Nolan Appointed to USCF Management

During its regular meeting at the 2003 US Open Championship in Los
Angeles, California, the USCF Executive Board has unanimously agreed
to add two new senior staff members. FM Paul Truong has been named the
Director of Marketing and Public Relations. This is an unpaid
position. Mike Nolan has assumed the position of Chief Operating
Officer.

The additions are a sign of the Executive Board's firm determination
to take all steps necessary to return the organization to good health.
Recognizing that time is critical, the newly restructured Executive
Board is moving quickly to correct past problems at the USCF.
Aggressive plans are being developed to substantially increase
revenues while cutting unnecessary expenses.

Mr. Truong, who will report directly to the Executive Board, is
particularly tasked with bringing in new revenues. He has 16 years of
high-level marketing, management and public relations experience. Paul
also has 33 years of chess experience, as well as being rated a master
by FIDE, the international regulating body for chess. The FIDE
master's long involvement with promoting chess, including the creation
of the United States Women's Chess Olympiad Program, will help him to
promote and enhance the popularity of chess nationwide.

Mr. Nolan will also report directly to the Executive Board, and will
be responsible for overseeing all USCF operations. He has long been
active in USCF governance, including extended service as a member of,
and Parliamentarian to, the Board of Delegates, the Federation's
highest ruling body. In addition to his chess credentials, he has an
MBA and has taught college courses on management.

The Executive Board has begun a nationwide search for a person to
replace Frank Niro, who recently resigned as Executive Director for
reasons of health.

Beatriz Marinello, the newly elected President of the Federation
expressed her happiness and satisfaction that the appointment of Paul
and Mike will help jumpstart the USCF on the road to a prosperous
future.
Old August 12th 03, 06:39 PM
Dan Heisman

Paul,

Thanks for posting this! Good to see some quick communication between USCF and the chess community.

Best wishes,
Dan Heisman
Old August 12th 03, 11:42 PM
Paul Truong

Default The new EB is moving quickly with decisions

Dear Dan:

Information was posted within 5 minutes (on the www.uschess.org) after
the final decision was made. We will do our best to increase the
communication line with members from now on. Please feel free to
check www.uschess.org for many press releases in the near future. I
realize that not everything can be perfect. However, I can assure you
that the EB is working very hard to fix things and make the federation
better, more efficient, and more professional.

I understand that many members were shocked of what took place.
However, I look at it as a blessing. I have never seen so much unity
in the chess community as I have seen here in LA in the past few days.
Members and delegates were cordial and cooperative. The meetings
were done quickly. Sound decisions were made timely to help USCF. I
am very hopeful that everyone will start to see many positive changes.

Thank you for your support. This is just a beginning of better things
to come.

Best Regards,
Paul Truong

Old August 13th 03, 02:02 AM
JimEade

[...]

People will respond in times of crisis, if they trust you. Our trust has been
violated many, many times, Paul. We've been lied to for a long time. We're
jaded.

Having said that, every fiber of my being tells me to trust Paul. I've never
met anyone quite like him. I suspend disbelief...again. I will help him, if I
can.

He's seen far worse and lived to tell about it. If he believes the situation
can be salvaged, who am I to say he's wrong.

James Eade
Remove the Sheesh to respond. Don't worry. Talk happy.
Old August 13th 03, 09:04 AM
John Fernandez

Huge benefit having Paul Truong on board- the EB won't go through Sam Sloan to
post information anymore.

John Fernandez

Old August 13th 03, 01:29 PM
Parrthenon

THE HISTORIAN'S HAPPY TALK?

By Larry Parr

In what follows, The Historian makes some sense and some points. I
would not make the same points and have a couple of questions. My comments and
questions appear in extended brackets.

[[[[[The Historian]]]]]

Jim [[[[[Eade]]]]], I agree it's about trust. I said exactly the same thing
when I met Frank Niro at the World Open in 2002.

[[[[[Parr: I think "it" is about money and personnel decisions, to get
specific.]]]]]

[[[[[The Historian]]]]]

(Yes Sam, I was there. I
have Niro's signature as proof.) Niro brushed off my comments, and
violated the trust of the members.

[[[[[Parr: I don't dispute the idea that Frank Niro "violated the trust of
the members" for the simple reason that I had no idea this was the key charge
against him. How did he violate said trust? What specifically did he do that
constituted violations of trust as opposed, say, to simply making bad
decisions? Is there a checklist? I existed under the impression that Frank
Niro is an honorable man.]]]]]

[[[[[The Historian]]]]]

There are some hopeful signs of change. One is the new blood in New
Windsor.

[[[[[Parr: Hold it right there, folks. I hear the new Board intends to
reduce staff only by a handful. BUT a necessary minimum cut is probably about
10, maximum about 12. Moreover, the art in these cuts will be to keep the
employees who work well and get rid of the drones.

I don't think Mike Nolan is up to the job. He lacks the quality of
sheer physical drive that will be required because the new man is going to have
to live in the office. Going home much will not be an option.

No, I am not suggesting that Mr. Nolan be knifed already. I am saying
the OPPOSITE: members of the Board need to extend him every form of useful
help, and they need to enlist others, too. If Mr. Nolan is going to be a hero
-- and nothing less is called for -- he's going to need plenty of helping
hands.]]]]]

[[[[[The Historian]]]]]

Another is that the policy of using a convicted criminal as official
unofficial spokesman of the USCF seems to have come to an end.

[[[[[Parr: Typically cheap. Sam Sloan's statements, the extent of them, the
truth or the falsity of them, made little business difference over the last two
years and will make little business difference during the coming year.

The "convicted criminal" (he took his own child with him) fell afoul of
the family police, which have become dominant in our Republic. If The
Historian imagines Sam Sloan will not be providing inside stories of what is
going on, then he is deluding himself. On the other hand, these inside
stories, no matter what they are, will little affect the bottom line.]]]]]

[[[[[The Historian

Now if the self-dealing, special interests, and sweetheart deals
can be gotten rid of, perhaps USCF can rise again, without being
reduced to ashes first.

[[[[[Parr: Self-dealing, special interests, sweetheart deals: no one defends
them. But they are not at the precise heart of what the new Board needs to do.

This new Board needs to hire someone who can make money for the
Federation and to ensure that the staff dismissals are decided on the basis of
merit or lack thereof.

As I have had occasion to note, the move to Crossville is going to be
a lot more horrific than anyone imagines even with the right people remaining
in the office. If the wrong personnel decisions are made, then the Federation
will experience major down time of two or more months.

The guiding principle must be: EVERY NON-REMEDIAL FEDERATON SERVICE
MUST SHOW A PROFIT. Scholastic memberships in and of themselves must be
profitable for the Federation. All this talk about scholastic members
purchasing products if fine, but every single service in and of itself must
show a profit. There can be no more of vicious political calculation living as
a pilot fish on the back of big-hearted, largely false sentimentality.

Over 12 years ago, Larry Evans and I called on the Federation to adopt
cost-area accounting, by which we meant knowing what every service cost and
what every service secured in terms of income. There was a lot of hesitation
to find out what services cost for a number of reasons. Several were
political footballs, and there was the nasty, hideous, still unacceptable fact
that by any measurement of membership value, Chess Life makes a PROFIT for the
Federation.

Frank Elley, my predecessor as editor and a low-key guy with nary an
enemy in the world, used to say that during his tenure he existed under a truce
flag with the politicians. That is as good as it ever gets because the
politicians always worry about control over the magazine and fear all editors
to greater or lesser degrees. They don't wish to talk about the magazine
making a profit because that empowers the editor.]]]]]

Old August 13th 03, 02:21 PM
StanB

"Parrthenon" wrote in message

Over 12 years ago, Larry Evans and I called on the Federation to

adopt
cost-area accounting, by which we meant knowing what every service cost

and
what every service secured in terms of income. There was a lot of

hesitation
to find out what services cost for a number of reasons. Several were
political footballs, and there was the nasty, hideous, still unacceptable

fact
that by any measurement of membership value, Chess Life makes a PROFIT for

the
Federation.

Kudos for another positive contribution. Sorta. Let me just say that of the
approximate 2.4 million of costs not part of the B&E gross profit, the rag
is about 1.1 million. They have to make a sacrifice now, or we'll be asking
them to make the supreme sacrifice later. It is truly a shame it has come to
this but it surely has.

StanB

Old August 13th 03, 06:08 PM
Paul Truong

Dear Bruce:

I don't think we have met. Thank you for your comments though. As an
outsider of USCF politics, I can understand your frustration in the
past. USCF (www.uschess.org) should be the official center for US
Chess News and Information. It should also be a no-spin zone and news
should be released in a timely manner.

I can assure you that many changes will be made. I have great respect
and admiration for many members of the previous board. Whatever the
results were, they did their best under very difficult circumstances.
I know each member of the new board and I am fairly confident that we
are in good hands.

As soon as I am back to NY from LA this weekend, I will prepare a
series of new press releases and marketing campaign. Plans were made
quickly, decisively and properly by the EB to cut expenses and
increase revenues. The following are just some of the focus of the
new EB:

- Balancing the budget and raising additional revenues in creative
ways to make sure that USCF will not be in this financial crisis
again.

- Making sure that USCF will be run professionally and efficiently.

- Reaching out to promote chess in all levels for all ages (from
scholastic to adults).

I understand that there will be many skeptics out there until they see
the positive results. That is fair considering the past history.
However, let's give them a chance to turn things around. Again, I
realize that some small errors may be made along the way. However, at
the end, I believe we will reach our ultimate goals.

We are looking forward to a brighter and better future for US Chess.
Thank you in advance for your support and cooperation.

Best Regards,
Paul

Bruce Draney wrote in message ...
Paul Truong wrote:

[...]

I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure, but let me first say, that
if you can post highly important USCF news on the official USCF website
before Bill posts his spun version of same then you will already have
earned my respect even if you never accomplish anything else.

The communication of the McCrary Board was attrocious, and suspicion
and cynicism runs deep amongst some of the readers here.

I am no longer impressed by claims of "Delegate unity" following the
meetings. The unity is usually typical, because the group that has just
lost power doesn't wish to appear to be sore losers and the group that
has just taken power doesn't want to appear conceited or cocky.

The Delegates didn't need to punish Frank Niro for his refusal to
follow Board directives as he had already quit. John McCrary and Frank
Camaratta are both out, having both been thoroughly repudiated in their
plans for how to run things.

Keep your eyes on adult membership. As long as it continues to go down,
and I'm certain it will, USCF will continue to go down and I'm also
certain it will.

If USCF has ANY hope at all, it is in the results of the election and
who was picked to lead as officers. Unfortunately, Tim and Beatriz are
being thrown into the deep end and will either learn to swim real quick
or will drown.

You are an extremely brave/nice/foolish (pick whichever suits you)
person to work gratis for USCF. The real question is can USCF make it
to October? If they can make it to October they will need a decent
sales season. If they get a decent sales season they can make it to
K-12's. If they can make it K-12's, they might make it Supernationals.

I am beginning to wonder however if they would be better off just
mortgaging the building and staying where they are. If it is going to
cost upwards of $100,000-$200,000 just to move to Tennessee I'm not
seeing a real compelling reason to go.

Everyone knows the axe is about to fall, I'm wondering what the
employees of USCF must be thinking about now?

Best Regards,

Bruce

Old August 13th 03, 07:05 PM
John Swartz

- Balancing the budget and raising additional revenues in creative
ways to make sure that USCF will not be in this financial crisis
again.

- Reaching out to promote chess in all levels for all ages (from
scholastic to adults).

Please note that, as been posted often on this newsgroup, the issue of
adult vs scholastic membership dues. Most of us adults feel that the
$49 price is too high - especially when you consider the fact that many
of us are members so that we can continue to play in USCF-rated OTB
tournaments. Yes, there is some added value with Chess Life (and how
much added value is quite debatable), but I suspect that that is all our
$49 currently buys us. Online chess? Those who play probably play on
other servers (many for free). Merchandise? There are plenty of
dealers (many with websites) that are more than competitive with USCF.
My understanding is that adult membership is continuing to decline, and
the price of membership is no doubt as major factor.

As for scholastic membership, $19 is the price - and my understanding is
that these dues are too low to currently fund scholastic chess -- in
other words, the adults are subsidising the youth. As much as I support
the idea of promoting chess in children, losing adult members is too
high a price to pay. Also, my understanding is that the majority of
scholastic/youth members do not eventually become adult members. This
issue needs to be addressed.

Best of luck in your efforts,

John
Old August 13th 03, 08:11 PM
Bruce Draney

Paul Truong wrote:

[...]

To a certain extent I agree that the leadership needs some time.
Unfortunately the honeymoon is going to be a helluva lot shorter, and
patience and time is running out for many, not to mention money.

Your goals are very admirable, however, they remind me of the old "How
to Do It" bit on Monty Python. How does an organization with such a
pathetic track record of treating all members fairly, raising outside
sponsorship and balancing its budget to live within its means, manage to
accomplish these goals, while at the same time attempting to recapture
lost market share in the B&E business and attempting to upgrade its
software and technology systems?

I'm wondering how Mike Nolan is going to run the office? I have known
Mike for many years and he is very capable in many areas, but I'm unsure
about his expertise in dealing with personnel issues which obviously are
going to be THE biggest issue in the next six months.

I'm an outsider now anyway, so you don't have to really prove anything
to me, but if things turn around, I would consider rejoining USCF
assuming they would start showing that they care about or appreciate
adult members and don't just look at them as the cash cow to pay for
everything, so that everyone else rides the gravy train.

I've known Beatriz for about 9 years and she is very capable although
she may be a bit naive about what she's getting into. Personally I
don't give you guys very good odds for surviving a year at least not in
your present form, but who knows, miracles do happen. At any rate
thanks for agreeing to help with news releases and updates on the web
page. It is at least two or three years overdue.

Best Regards,

Bruce