Old August 12th 03, 04:23 PM
Bruce Draney

Default Is Payroll the Biggest Problem?

I am still having trouble fathoming how USCF could possibly have lost
over $300,000 in operations in a single year, while at the same time
believing they were going to finish in the black with a small profit,
all the way up until May?

I have a couple theories, but both of them focus on the personnel line
of expenses. We have all been amazed that USCF continued to employ over
40 people on either a full or part time basis in New Windsor, even when
it was clear we were having trouble meeting payroll.

The excessive focus on rebuilding the B&E business and remarketing it to
the members to bolster our finances was also a significant drain on our
remaining and dwindling resources.

This is going to be extremely unpleasant, and USCF may have cut off its
one chance of surviving by borrowing against practically everything else
that could be borrowed against just to meet the payroll.

It sounds to me like Frank N. was gone from the office an awful lot this
past year, and this was a critical mistake. The Sherry TLA fiasco and
the messed up booking of revenues have all the signs of a careless or
absent ED. Since Frank has experience as a hospital administrator, it
sounds more like the latter and not the former.

Not collecting accounts receivable when we're in a financial crisis is
inexcusable, another example about the disastrous repercussions of
getting rid of Debbi Sherry.

At this point, unfortunately none of the options look very promising,
although necessity is the mother of invention. Things that USCF said it
would never do under any circumstance or refused to do because it was
too experimental may now become the only means of survival.

There is a precedent. Most of us can now remember the infamous "rating
freeze" where USCF did not change anyone's rating for something like two
years. While really bad, USCF did manage to survive this and if USCF
needed to simply stop doing an important service for 6 months to a year
because there was no longer any money coming in to pay for that service,
it would teach the leeches and bloodsuckers who have mooched off of the
organization for their own sake for decades to finally realize the
impact they've had.

In the meantime, I'd suggest we start forming two committees, one to
prepare for the funeral and burial of USCF and one to start planning an
efficient and intelligently run organization to replace it.

Let me be the first to suggest that we settle upon a single dues rate
for everyone, no discounts, no special pricing and that we see if we can
promote the hell out of a $20.00 membership for all rather than offering
adults a membership for $49.00 and children one for $12.00.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 12th 03, 04:51 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Bruce Draney says...
SNIP

Let me be the first to suggest that we settle upon a single dues rate
for everyone, no discounts, no special pricing and that we see if we can
promote the hell out of a $20.00 membership for all rather than offering
adults a membership for $49.00 and children one for $12.00.

If this is what you want, then you need to be more honest in your presentation.
The $49 membership is not comparable to the $13 membership.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 12th 03, 05:56 PM
RSHaas

Bruce... uhhh... izzat $20 deal with or without a maggie? (RSHaas)
Old August 12th 03, 07:36 PM
Bruce Draney

GrantPerks wrote:

Bruce,

I remember the rating freeze, but wasnt it for less than a year? I recall it
being no longer than ten months. While we could do without ratings for that
long, can the federation survive without a magazine for even six months? No
TLA's would be the biggest problem I see.

I think there are all kinds of problem with the current model. One that hasn't
been mentioned is the need to service the large number of life members we have.
Since the past management of the USCF did not adequately provide for the
obligations towards life members, now that we are shrinking in paying members
the burden from the non paying life members grows to be a larger part of the
budget. Kinda like what is suppose to happen to social security in 20 years.

I assume chapter 11 bankruptcy would allow the USCF to discontinue servicing
life members. Not that I am an advocate of screwing the life members.

Grant Perks

Hi Grant,

I hope you're doing well. I think people assume either NO publication
or a 64-80 page publication. How about a 10 page newsletter for a
couple years, entitled Chess Life, until we're back on our feet. This
would keep the contact which old style traditionalists fear is
absolutely essential to a membership organization, yet would relieve us
of having to have photographs on glossy newsprint. Nearly everyone
agrees that the covers have been hideous anyway with endless collages of
tournament winners. Why not just go to a newsprint format with a very
vanilla look.

As far as TLA's are concerned, the disastrous DeFeis-Redman policies
and the raising of adult dues has pretty much kept TLAs to only 7 pages
or so anyway. The Grand Prix should be discontinued completely as it
takes up too much space and has no sponsorship.

It looks to me like we almost have no choice. If we have to fire or
lay off 10 or more employees to get our payroll down, those employees
are going to have to come from somewhere and B&E and publications seem
the most likely targets.

Can anyone tell the rest of us what was decided about the no-magazine
memberships in LA? Goichberg and others were strongly pushing to
eliminate them, but I haven't heard that they were eliminated, so I
suspect they're still around.

USCF is going to have to recreate itself in a different image. Eight
years of traditional thinking have produced millions of dollars in
losses. We no longer have a cushion left to continue doing what we have
been doing. It might already be too late, but the USCF has to act
immediately and forcefully and may have to gamble on some radical ideas
that only a few years ago would have seemed unthinkable.

It's hard for me to feel too sorry for USCF, as people have been
warning and scolding them for years for their foolishness. What is sad,
is that an organization with more than a century of tradition, may stop
breathing in the night, rather than go down swinging and fighting.

It is especially ironic by the way that the vast majority of
chessplayers out there know very little if anything about USCF. They
just assume that their ratings will be updated and their tournaments
will be announced. If it weren't for this newsgroup, I don't believe
that more than a handful of a few hundred people would have the
slightest idea that things were in such desperate straits.

Could USCF completely sell off the B&E operation and become merely a
ratings and certification agency? Possibly, but I'm sure that Al
Lawrence and other traditionalists will wretch at that idea as well. We
are apparently in a life or death situation and desperate times call for
desperate measures.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 12th 03, 08:40 PM
RSHaas

I'd prefer just a website. That way you could get the kiddie trophies into a
hologram and make them jump out as 8 foot monstrosities right in your living
room. (RSHaas)

Old August 12th 03, 11:08 PM
Don Mihokovich

Bruce Draney wrote in message ...

(snip)

Let me be the first to suggest that we settle upon a single dues rate
for everyone, no discounts, no special pricing and that we see if we can
promote the hell out of a $20.00 membership for all rather than offering
adults a membership for $49.00 and children one for $12.00.

Best Regards,

Bruce

________________________________

Let me point out that this is an unfair comparison. You have compared
the full adult rate with 12 magazines and no affiliate commission to
the economy scholastic rate with 0 magazines minus the affiliate
commission. Compare apples to apples and then make your argument.

Scholastic Economy is no longer even listed as an option on the USCF
website.
http://www.shopuschess.org/cgi-bin/S...html?E+scstore.

The only fair comparison would be full Youth with 12 magazines to full
Adult with 12 magazines: $25 vs. $49. Now if you want to argue that
is unfair, go ahead. Many would still disagree, but at least it would
be a fair argument.

KidDon
Old August 12th 03, 11:21 PM
StanB

"RSHaas" wrote in message

Bruce... uhhh... izzat $20 deal with or without a maggie? (RSHaas)

We're gonna offer a new maggie called Chess Death for Woodpeckers.

StanB

Old August 12th 03, 11:22 PM
StanB

"Chris Merli" wrote in message
et...

There is only a couple of things a national organization does that no

other
group can really duplicate. This should be the USCF's primary purpose and
they should make every effort to see that it is done using the most modern
technology and most efficient techniques. The national rating system is

the
cornerstone of the organization. Rating reports should be done online and
the ratings should be automated. For some time there has been this

concern
about rating events in the order they are played. It is a noble idea but
dramatically slows the process. Notice the interest in the internet.
Instant rating changes are a very good way to attract interest. Events
should be rated within 1 week of completion 2 at the outside. Complete
crosstables should be available as soon as the event is rated and should
available on line. They should further make sure to keep up to date on
changes in the rules. Finally they need to make sure to support the local
organizers and directors by providing the means to advertise events and
certify directors. These things can be done very well with only a minimal
staff and computer equipment.

Amen.

StanB

Old August 14th 03, 08:02 PM
Doctor SBD

What is sad,
is that an organization with more than a century of tradition,

Do they still teach history and math in Nebraska?

I think I know what you are trying to say, but the USCF in any incarnation has
not been around more than a century.

SBD