Old August 13th 03, 10:08 AM
LeModernCaveman

Default How is "chess" broke if GEEKS play it?

How many BILLIONAIRES out there play chess?

If one of them could save BOWLING by purchasing the PBA for $5 million, you'd
think the USCF would be a breeze to get that type of patronage.

Old August 13th 03, 03:24 PM
Kevin D. Nyberg

(LeModernCaveman) wrote in message ...
How many BILLIONAIRES out there play chess?

If one of them could save BOWLING by purchasing the PBA for $5 million, you'd
think the USCF would be a breeze to get that type of patronage.

I know this is going to kill your thread (my reply--that is--ANY reply
from me--I always kill threads in this ng), but a big money bail-out
would probably do more harm than good.

I don't know of anyone who would part with a seven-figure sum purely
out of altruism, especially to pump bilge from a leaky tub like this
one.

Indeed, the money would only serve to end the infancy of
coalition-thinking in USCF. Miraculously, after almost two decades of
self-serving twaddle, leaks and hemmorhages everywhere, the ship about
to capsize . . .

.. . . a few, just a few, have realized that if the whole barn burns
down to keep someone's ox from getting gored, everyone's gets roasted.
Moral: just as dead.

But if a big white knight appeared with a pile of cash, all the
special interests would jockey for what they considered their 'fair
share' of the windfall. No change in 'the way things DON'T get done.'

Most likely, the white knight would come with the string attached that
HE got to control the windfall. So the 'money man' becomes a new
player in an old struggle. Then we'd have to put up with purges,
sycophants, Byzantine politics, and ultimately, no progress amid the
new chaos.

Hmmm, that, I think, is what happened over at FIDE a few years back.
Is anything better over there after Kirsan has pumped millions into
it?

kdn
Old August 14th 03, 07:09 AM
LeModernCaveman

If one of them could save BOWLING by purchasing the PBA for $5 million,
you'd
think the USCF would be a breeze to get that type of patronage.

I know this is going to kill your thread (my reply--that is--ANY reply
from me--I always kill threads in this ng), but a big money bail-out
would probably do more harm than good.

I don't know of anyone who would part with a seven-figure sum purely
out of altruism, especially to pump bilge from a leaky tub like this
one.

Have you ASKED them?

****, it would probably take about a year, tops.

Indeed, the money would only serve to end the infancy of
coalition-thinking in USCF. Miraculously, after almost two decades of
self-serving twaddle, leaks and hemmorhages everywhere, the ship about
to capsize . . .

. . . a few, just a few, have realized that if the whole barn burns
down to keep someone's ox from getting gored, everyone's gets roasted.
Moral: just as dead.

A bailout is the answer, and the source can be found in the tech industry.

Start with Gates and work down.

This is a no-brainer.

Old August 14th 03, 02:12 PM
Don Mihokovich

[...]

_____________________________
Gates has given $ to his favored game of Bridge (I believe), but tends
to give $$ to more worthy causes like stopping the spread of Aids in
Africa. I doubt if we would interest him, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

don
Old August 14th 03, 06:57 PM
LeModernCaveman

Gates has given $ to his favored game of Bridge (I believe), but tends
to give $$ to more worthy causes like stopping the spread of Aids in
Africa. I doubt if we would interest him, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Chess is a worthy cause as well.

If he (or another techie) knew the USCF was dying over less than a few million
(cheap compared to sports team prices), the odds that a bailout would occur are
good, IF the management could get its act together.

Old August 14th 03, 09:44 PM
Mehrfache Persönlichkeiten

"Don Mihokovich" wrote in message SNIP
___________
Gates has given $ to his favored game of Bridge (I believe), but tends
to give $$ to more worthy causes like stopping the spread of Aids in
Africa. I doubt if we would interest him, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

don

______________________

I have to correct myself here. The Bill and Martha Gates Foundation
has given money to chess. See, e.g.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pacif...announce-02050
7.htm.
http://www.chessmates.org/pressrel.htm

don

You have to correct yourself again. Her name is Melinda. There goes the
chance for another $10,000.

Old August 24th 03, 04:28 PM
Jerry

Why would a wealth person want to donate
to help the leisure activities of middle class people
who are completely capable of paying their own
way?

Maybe you need separate organizations for those
who can pay their own way, but don't want to be
forced to pay for others (at least not for chess)
and separate organizations for those activities that
need sponsorship.