Old August 13th 03, 09:23 PM
Ben Finegold

Default Report on US Open

(drahmiel) wrote in message ...
With 3/4 of the tournament in the books (and yours truly clinging on to a +
score for dear life at 5-4), I thought I'd give my impressions. Despite claims
of a poor turnout, I have to give this tournament a generally positive review.
I really think that any low numbers are merely due to a lack of desire for most
chessplayers, who are situated on the East Coast (something to do with Ellis
Island I'm told) to shoulder the expense of travelling and staying in LA (which
is a slum) for a week or two when they could be going to Spain or Holland or
something. I did not have the (dis?)pleasure of seeing Tim Hanke, although
much to my chagrin, people tell me that in person, he's a really well-spoken
and nice guy! Go figure. Moving on, my general thoughts, getting the bad news
out of the way first.

Cons:

The Chief TD, Randy Hough is really obnoxious, even for a TD. It seems most
TDs believe that the shorter they are with players, the busier and more
diligent they appear. None of us players think you are not working hard
enough. We believe you. Be nice to us.

Parking: Five dollars a day with validation. Not excessive, but over two
weeks it adds up. Plus, every spot seems designed for a compact.

Door Syndrome: Hardly the organizers fault, but many chessplayers seem
afflicted with "Door Syndrome." This disease is characterized by players
congregating in and around any means of egress, from the tournament hall, the
bathroom, the Directors room, or anywhere people need to get from point A to
point B, with seemingly no awareness of the difficulty this causes. On behalf
of all of us... MOVE!

Now the good news:

What I find most impressive, is that of 9 rounds, every one of them seems to
have gotten off on time! This includes round 8, which involved a merge of
three huge sections. I have played in many tournaments, and have NEVER seen
every round come off on time. Bravo!

While in the first round, the demonstration boards were not entirely set up and
unmanned (denying the viewing public most of my epic struggle with Kaidanov),
once things were moved to the main room, the top board battles were easily
viewed and enjoyed by spectators.

Usually once or twice in a tournament a large crowd congregates around two
players involved in a very ugly dispute. Whether due to serendipity or skilled
TDing, I noticed no such occurence here.

The tournament is quite disability friendly. More than any other tournament I
noticed the blind, wheelchair bound, and otherwise infirm comfortably enjoying
a chess game with the rest of the competitors.

Although I didnt attend any of the side events, there were many, including
simuls and lectures from titled players, and a demonstration of "The Turk"
chess playing "machine".

As discussed in a different thread, there definitely were "hot chicks" to be
found. More importantly, there were a considerable number of highly competent
chess-playing females at the event. I narrowly escaped with a win after a
grueling five plus hour game with my 8th round female opponent, and the letters
"WGM" seemed to litter the pairing charts.

The tournament provides boards and sets! You'd be surprised how much class
this adds to an event, and how often this courtesy is omitted.

All in all I consider this years' US Open a success. I'd be happy to hear
others weigh in.

Since you misspell "occurrence", I will have to discount all of your
impressions....homes.

BPF
Old August 14th 03, 05:15 AM
Tim Hanke

"drahmiel" wrote ...

All in all I consider this years' US Open a success. I'd be happy to hear
others weigh in.

I think the general consensus is that this year's U.S. Open in Los Angeles
is well-run and an all-around pleasant chess experience.

Tim Hanke

Old August 14th 03, 09:41 PM
Mehrfache Persönlichkeiten

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"drahmiel" wrote ...

All in all I consider this years' US Open a success. I'd be happy to

hear
others weigh in.

I think the general consensus is that this year's U.S. Open in Los Angeles
is well-run and an all-around pleasant chess experience.

Tim Hanke

The major impression is that it was too long. Why do you think so few
delegates went? Do we really consider the size a success in LA?