Old August 14th 03, 07:58 PM
Kenneth Sloan

Default rising star alert

One of the attractions of the US Open for me is the opportunity to
meet young players who will be the stars of the future. Every once in
awhile I find myself playing a youngster who proves to be surprisingly
difficult to beat. After some of these games, I know that that was the
*last* time that I'll ever defeat that particular opponent.

The best example of this may have been in Chicago, when I was paired
against a 13yo girl with a published rating in the 1300's. She didn't
play like a 1300. After a long, grueling positional battle (carefully
observed by her entire chess-playing family), I broke through and
collected Jennifer Shadade's autograph on my scoresheet.

Last night, history may well have repeated. After my usual dismal
performance in the early rounds, I found myself facing a 9yo lad
sporting a 1497 published rating. 6 hours later, I managed to soore the
point - but it may well be the last time I ever see Michael Lee tip over
his King.

Watch for this kid - he will be a star.

You heard it here first.

[oh yeah...after the game we determined that his most recently computed
rating is in the high 1600's...with a bullet. Jennifer was stronger
when I played her - but she was 4 years older!]

--
Kenneth Sloan
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
Old August 15th 03, 01:28 AM
RSHaas

Mike Lee is from... ?
Old August 15th 03, 02:01 PM
LeModernCaveman

One of the attractions of the US Open for me is the opportunity to
meet young players who will be the stars of the future.

At what? Chess?

Should I reel off the list of the 1980s "future champions" who never made it?

Every once in
awhile I find myself playing a youngster who proves to be surprisingly
difficult to beat.

A "future champion?"

After some of these games, I know that that was the
*last* time that I'll ever defeat that particular opponent.

The best example of this may have been in Chicago, when I was paired
against a 13yo girl with a published rating in the 1300's. She didn't
play like a 1300. After a long, grueling positional battle (carefully
observed by her entire chess-playing family), I broke through and
collected Jennifer Shadade's autograph on my scoresheet.

Her dad (Mike) is a well-known master in Philadelphia. It is not shocking at
all that his daughter would be on the rise at that age.