Old August 15th 03, 04:42 PM
Bruce Draney

Default Transcripts or tape recordings?

I'm assuming that the age old question about accurate and timely
reporting of what goes on at USCF Board meetings was tabled due to our
annual financial crisis. While the question of whether Board
transcripts or tape recordings were better was not resolved, the main
point is probably that where there is a genuine willingness to openly
communicate, the means will be found to do so.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing timely and accurate updates of
some kind with Nolan, Hanke, Brady, Marinello and Truong running the
show.

Other than Brady, we now have 4 of our 5 top leaders in the office or
on the Board that are internet active and savvy. Compare this to
McCrary, Camaratta, Denker, Smith and Wagner who are no longer running
the show. None of these guys except for Smith ever posted directly to
this newsgroup, nor did they embrace modern technology or the internet
to help improve communication. The USCF website was so bad, that
information was fed to nutbars like Sam Sloan to post instead of
distributing it properly through official channels. Smith occasionally
posted almost nonsensical rantings or taunts to this newsgroup, but
otherwise was perhaps the most miserable and inefficient Secretary the
USCF has had in some time. One would have thought that McCrary was
running the CIA or something with how mum he was in telling anyone but
Bill Goichberg what was officially going on.

Full transcripts are probably not necessary when those on the Board are
interested in quick and complete disclosure of what is happening. I
still believe that tape recordings are virtually useless and difficult
to find pertinent information, but at least a willingness to promptly
and properly communicate by the new Board appears to be genuine.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 17th 03, 09:52 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Bruce Draney says...

I'm assuming that the age old question about accurate and timely
reporting of what goes on at USCF Board meetings was tabled due to our
annual financial crisis. While the question of whether Board
transcripts or tape recordings were better was not resolved, the main
point is probably that where there is a genuine willingness to openly
communicate, the means will be found to do so.

Why not both? Check out:

http://www.impaq-corp.com/vianix/home.html

The company, Vianix (also see www.vianix.com) makes software that digital
captures and compresses audio. The software can work with transcription
services, transcription software, and even Palm Pilots and PDA's. I use it with
my Compaq IPAQ to dictate and email the dictation to my assistant who starts a
transcription with software and then does some clean-up. Based on the little
I've seen, it would be much less expensive than what USCF has done in the past,
and would produce files for easy posting. The files can be converted to WAV
files, or the special compressed MASC files can be used with free MASC playing
software.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 17th 03, 11:30 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Kevin L. Bachler says...

[...]

And a little more from their FAQ:

Q. I am interested in the possibility of using your products with voice-to-text
software. Please provide technical specs on your highest quality recording,
namely, digital sampling rate, precision, type of compression, maximum total
recording duration at highest quality recording rate. Also, SDK specifications,
especially regarding downloading audio files from your recorders to PCs.

A. We have a proprietary voice compression technology that we call MASC (Managed
Audio Sound Compression). The maximum recording time at highest quality is 3.7
hours internally and up to an additional 16 hours externally. With very little
reduction in voice quality, MASC will allow 8 hours internally and 32 hours
externally on our SASO device.

We are currently working with Dragon Systems to improve our device's interface
to their software. Currently you would need to use our player program to convert
a MASC file to a WAV file that can then be transcribe by Dragon's software.

Regarding the SDK, we are currently evaluating several OEM type opportunities.
Before we can go into any details, you need to contact Ed Prokop
).

Checking with Dragon (Naturally Speaking)I find:

Support for Additional Input Devices
You can use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to "talk and dock": dictate into a handheld
device such as a digital recorder or Pocket PC, then have that recording
automatically transcribed when you synch with you PC. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7
also supports array microphones and cordless microphones. See the hardware
compatibility list for exact model numbers.

So in general, it looks as though it might be possible to purchase a notebook
PC, perhaps a special microphone array, spend a few thousand, but then digitally
record the meetings, transcribe them in Dragon, have an assistant clean up the
transcription, and probably do it at much less than the cost of one year's
transcription -- plus the solution would then be renewable. The question is, of
course, how large the files get, but if the PC has a CD burner, just burn off
the file to CD at breaks and ERASE it. If need be, take an hourly break?

I dunno, maybe the technology isn't quite there. Maybe it's more expensive.
But if it isn't there yet, it looks like it will be soon.

Kevin L. Bachler