Old August 16th 03, 09:06 PM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default Sponge Jer Hanken Loses his Square Pants

Finally, the demise of that most hyped, grandiose, and annoying of
chess streaks:

Hanken's endless puffery was not enough to keep his trivial "Streak
Minor" going, as despite his 2200 (Floored) rating, he failed to
finish this US Open with a Plus Score. (He only got 6.0 points from
the 12 games he played.)

Maybe now he can start a new streak: ending the bombastic and turgid
Hanken's Corner, and ceasing his involvement in the production of
Tournament Bulletins. The Chess World deserves to be finally spared
from his tumescent and vapid prose.

================================================== ==============================
http://usopenchess.org/hanken.html

Hanken's Corner

by Jerry Hanken

August 15

"Thus cracks a noble mind ..."

Tonight may well prove to be a personal milestone. needing a win to
keep the "Streak Minor" alive, Y.H.R. played with White against a Mr.
Pace, rated in the 1900s. He gave me three pawns in the opening.
Giving two back, I was on the verge of beating back his attack when,
suffering from fatigue (and gas), I blundered my Queen (for the third
time in this U.S. Open).

Mr. Pace is to be congratulated (which I did) for his dogged tenacity
as he kept his chances alive. Another quote comes to mind. George C.
Scott to Jackie Gleason's Minnesota Fats when he was being rolled up
by Fast Eddie ... "Stick with this kid, he's a loser."

And so I feel now. Even if by some miracle I should win tonight and
keep the streak alive, it will be a hollow victory. "+1" against a
1900 average field is nothing to be proud of.

I sense the end. I am thinking of turning over the American Open to
other organizers and honestly if I am not sure I will even play,
though I have played in all 38 previously.

In 1957 as a fresh 22 year old kid from Cincinnati, I played my first
U.S. Open in Cleveland and went 6-6. Forty-six years later, that will
likely be my score in 2003. Though I and others often treated it as a
joke, it has become a self-imposed burden which will probably be
lifted today. Then I can wait for the next 12-rounder to play again.
What delicious irony. After nine rounds, I had a plus score!

P.S. This year I promise a last round column.

# Name Rtng Cls
_________________________________
190 Jerome B Hanken 2200

Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Rd 6 Rd 7 Rd 8 Rd 9 Rd 10 Rd 11 Rd 12 Total
TBrk[M]
W314 D155 D273 L141 L148 W325 W167 L96 W207 D162 L171 D231 6
50
Old August 19th 03, 02:08 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Are you implying that you ***like*** "Hanken's Corner"? Do you really
think that anybody wants to hear about his streak?

More importantly, do you think that Hanken is perennially given the
precious column space in tournament bulletins, based on merit? Do you
claim that he is given the job because of the quality of his prose? Or
simply because of the people he knows?? Seriously, one would be hard
pressed to keep a straight face, when maintaining that Hanken is
anywhere near the most deserving person to be contributing to the
bulletin, or that he earned the gig by prevailing in a competitive
selection process. It is not the worst example of cronyism in the
USCF, but it looks to be among the most egregious.

How about doing things different next year? It would be a nice
change to see a Bulletin that is sold for a reasonable price, and free
of blather, braggadocio and bloviation. I suppose that is too much to
ask....

"Joshua B. Lilly" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Look Gunsberg, I know you`re upset at being probably the least famous
participant in a World Championship match, but don`t be an asshole.

m...

====
[...]

==

# Name Rtng Cls
_________________________________

Old August 19th 03, 02:23 AM
Fifiela

Are you implying that you ***like*** "Hanken's Corner"? Do you really
think that anybody wants to hear about his streak?

It's a OK; It's a nice human interest story even if a bit self promoting.

I suspect Jerry gets the space because he's willing to do the work. I look
forward to your volunteer efforts on the buelltin next year.
Old August 19th 03, 02:47 AM
ASCACHESS

volunteer efforts on the buelltin

Isn't Buelltin just outside Ojai?
Old August 19th 03, 07:39 AM
drahmiel

Fear not, I am picking up the flag. 6.5-5.5 this year. Streak Drahmiel: 1 and
counting...