Old August 16th 03, 09:25 PM
Paul Truong

Default 2003 US Open

GM Shabalov won the 2003 US Open Championship!
Alex Barasso won the 2003 US Open Blind Championship!
GM Susan Polgar won the 2003 US Open Blitz Championship!

GM Alexander Shabalov (USA) is the winner of the 2003 US Open
Championship in Los Angeles, CA, with the impressive score of 10-2.
He defeated GM Artashes Minasian in the final round with the Black
pieces to clinch the US Open title. Going into the last round, GMs
Gregory Kaidanov, Alexander Shabalov and Artashes Minasian were all
tied with 9 points. GM Kaidanov was granted a half point bye in the
last round prior to the start of the tournament so he can travel on a
timely basis to participate in the Continental Championship in Buenos
Aires, Argentina. GMs Leonid Yudasin, Sarunas Sulkis, Aleks
Wojtkiewicz, Gregory Kaidanov and IM Ricardo De Guzman tied for 2-6
with the score of 9.5-2.5.

WGM (IM-elect) Anna Zatonskih (USA) and WGM Martha Fierro (ECU)
finished as top women players with the score of 9-3. WGM Rusa
Goletiani and WFM Tatev Abrahamyan were right behind them with the
score of 8.5-3.5. This year's US Open drew 458 players with 17 GMs.
The top male (2) and female qualifiers for the 2004 US Championship
are GM Larry Christiansen (9-3), Levon Altounian (8.5-3.5), and WGM
Rusa Goletiani (8.5-3.5).

Alex Barrasso (USA) won the 2003 US Open Blind Championship. Jessica
Lauser finished 2nd and Jay Leventhal came in 3rd.

The 2003 US Open Blitz Championship gathered 84 participants with 6
GMs and many other strong IMs, FMs, Senior Masters and Masters. This
is one of the strongest US Open Blitz in recent history. GM Susan
Polgar (USA) won the event with the score of 11-1, followed by GM
Aleks Wojtkiewicz with 10.5-1.5. GM Walter Browne, GM Sharadorj
Dashzagug, IM Enrico Sevillano, IM Jayson Gonzales, Master Rico
Salimbagat and Paul Y Linuma tied for 3-8 with the score of 9-3. GM
Pavel Blatny and GM Jaan Ehlvest were the other 2 GMs in the
tournament.
Old August 17th 03, 12:11 PM
Paul Truong

One small correction. I was notified by AF4C that there are only 2
qualifying spots (1 male and 1 female). Therefore, GM Larry
Christiansen was the only male player who qualified. Congrats to GM
Larry.

Best Regards,
Paul Truong

Old August 18th 03, 03:42 AM
David

"Paul Truong" wrote in message
m...
GM Shabalov won the 2003 US Open Championship!

snip

GM Kaidanov was granted a half point bye in the
last round prior to the start of the tournament so he can travel on a
timely basis to participate in the Continental Championship in Buenos
Aires, Argentina.

Paul, thanks for updating us on the reason for Kaidanov's request and why
Kaidanov was given preferential treatment.

My hats off to Shabalov, Wojtkiewicz, and any others who managed to make it
down to B.A. after finishing the 12th round in Los Angeles.

Full list of players at the Continental Championship can be found at:
http://www.ajedrezvirtual.com/Continental/

Old August 18th 03, 06:48 AM
Paul Truong

We will try our best to update you with facts as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your support.

Best Regards,
Paul

Old August 18th 03, 01:33 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Bill Smythe says...
SNIP
For a 12-round event, something like the following might be about right:

Half-point byes allowed in any round, limit 4 total. Round 1, must be
requested before the close of registration. Rounds 2-8, must be requested 2
hours before the start of the round. Rounds 9-12, must be requested before
the start of round 8.

Bill Smythe

I agree Bill. Frustrating to me is that the National K-12 will be about a mile
from our HS this year (2 time state champ, the team members have won 7 state
championships and 3 national championships in 9 years.) I have a number of
Seniors playing, and one potential conflict for one Senior in the final round.
He will likely have to attend a musical performance (he is scheduled to give it)
or will have his grade lowered one letter grade. Although we have inquired
about it 6 months in advance, an irrevocable half point bye is not available in
the final round. They are available (with revocation) in any other round.

USCF is the one setting these rules more stringently than the 5th ED rulebook.
You probably know that I have all the respect and friendship in the world for GM
Gregory Kaidanov. This comment is in no way directed toward him. But it seems
odd that an exception would be made for a GM to further his career (Continental)
but not for a student to further his. For a Senior pushing to get into
competitive schools, a little extra GPA can be the difference in acceptance or
scholarship awards. One would think (hope?) that the rules in national
championships would be applied consistently.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 18th 03, 08:22 PM
sandirhodes

--

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message
"Paul Truong" wrote:
.... GM Kaidanov was granted a half point bye in the
last round prior to the start of the tournament so he can travel on a
timely basis to participate in the Continental Championship in Buenos
Aires ....

This appears to be yet another case of the organizer painting himself into

corner with a too-restrictive bye policy announced in advance. (I assume
that, according to the pre-tournament publicity, half-point byes were not
allowed in the final round.)

When the announced bye policy is too limiting, the TDs at the tournament
will not want to enforce it. It would be much better to devise, in

advance,
a policy everybody can live with, and then enforce it uniformly and

without
exception.

For a 12-round event, something like the following might be about right:

Half-point byes allowed in any round, limit 4 total. Round 1, must be
requested before the close of registration. Rounds 2-8, must be requested

2
hours before the start of the round. Rounds 9-12, must be requested

before
the start of round 8.

Bill Smythe

Anyone wanting a last-round bye should know in advance of the tournament.
Rounds 9-12 should be before the tourney begins, as should 1-8 ... my 2
cents. 9-12 irrevocable

Old August 19th 03, 01:45 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Kevin L. Bachler wrote in message ...
[...]

Life is full of tough choices. Sometimes we can't always do
everything that we want. The policy of not allowing final round 1/2
point byes is both sensible, and fair to all of the other competitors.
Maybe your student ought to inquire more earnestly about whether he
can perform his music on another day.

Although we have inquired
about it 6 months in advance, an irrevocable half point bye is not available in
the final round. They are available (with revocation) in any other round.

So what?! Is it not manifestly clear that the FINAL round is
different (more crucial) than any of the earlier rounds. If he is in
any position to win a prize, then it is likely that he would have to
face his toughest opponent in that Final round. Mr. BYE, that Drawing
Master, is no competition whatsoever.

USCF is the one setting these rules more stringently than the 5th ED rulebook.
You probably know that I have all the respect and friendship in the world for GM
Gregory Kaidanov. This comment is in no way directed toward him. But it seems
odd that an exception would be made for a GM to further his career (Continental)
but not for a student to further his.

Nobody is stopping him from going to the Music recital. Clearly,
that would be his logical priority. However, there is no Free Lunch.
If you advantage that kid in Chess career, then you hurt all his
competitors. What would you say to the player who just missed out on a
Prize, because the rules were bent for the sake of your player(s)?

For a Senior pushing to get into
competitive schools, a little extra GPA can be the difference in acceptance or
scholarship awards. One would think (hope?) that the rules in national
championships would be applied consistently.

One would think--however, foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of
the narrow mind. Are you suggesting now that all USCF Championships
allow for the bending of the rules in such a way??

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 19th 03, 02:25 AM
Fifiela

Why can't we just abolish half point byes altogether?

1/2 ponts byes allow those of us with lives to attend to our lives.
Old August 19th 03, 06:06 AM
Briarroot

John Fernandez wrote:

Why can't we just abolish half point byes altogether?

Yes.

No players score should ever be raised because he did *not* play,
except for the purpose of arranging pairings in succeeding rounds.
Certainly *never* for of determining the awarding of prizes.