Old August 19th 03, 02:07 AM
Miriling

Default September Chess Life wastes space with block ad

The September issue of Chess Life shows improper planning with the printing of
a block advertisement for the 2003 U.S. Open Side Events, which consume more
than 1/3 of page 74. Maybe this was done to show that an Aug. 16 event was
"cancelled," but that's a lot of valuable space to use for an original
three-line TLA. The block ad, which also appeared in the August issue, lists
side events from Aug. 3 to Aug. 16. Running the ad in the September issue
cannot be viewed as effective or cost-efficient. Most everyone knew of these
side events from previous issues of Chess Life. Furthermore, people didn't
starting receiving the September issue until the end of the second week in
August [according to newsgroup users: Aug. 11 in Rapid City, South Dakota;
someone on Aug. 12 in New York City; Aug. 13 in Rock Island, Ill.; and Aug. 14
in Tulsa, Okla.] I didn't receive my copy until Monday, Aug. 18, in Fitchburg,
Mass.
The bottom line: Chess Life is being mailed out too late and thus being
received late. The magazine lists the first week of the month as the expected
release date, but the September issue was posted as being mailed Aug. 8. The
mailing date is unacceptable, especially since the deadline for the receipt of
TLAs is the 10th of the month - 3 months before the cover date! It is highly
recommended that the powers that be see to it that the mailing date is put
back, so that people can receive their issues by the first week of the month.
Not after the middle of the month, when TLAs appear for tournaments that have
already been held.

George Mirijanian

P.S. TLAs have to be carefully proofread. Duplications are unacceptable. See
Massachusetts listing for a weeknight event of Sept. 5, 12, 19 & 26, for
example.
Old August 19th 03, 02:18 AM
John Fernandez

Hmmm. I still don't have Chess Life, but I'm willing to chalk it up to a
blackout issue.

John Fernandez
Old August 19th 03, 05:19 AM
sandirhodes

"Miriling" wrote in message

snip evidence of a late CL, as late as Aug 18

The bottom line: Chess Life is being mailed out too late and thus being
received late. The magazine lists the first week of the month as the

expected
release date, but the September issue was posted as being mailed Aug. 8.

The
mailing date is unacceptable, especially since the deadline for the

receipt of
TLAs is the 10th of the month - 3 months before the cover date! It is

highly
recommended that the powers that be see to it that the mailing date is put
back, so that people can receive their issues by the first week of the

month.
Not after the middle of the month, when TLAs appear for tournaments that

have
already been held.

George Mirijanian

And, should one be inclined to be entering the solving contest (Key
Krackers), one has exactly 2 days to submit the entire column. What bull!

Old August 19th 03, 11:20 AM
Doctor SBD

Since Key Krackers is due September 20th, I think you are incorrect - one gets
2 days plus a month.

SBD
Old August 19th 03, 03:16 PM
Kevin Croxen

In article , Miriling wrote:
snip
[...]

CL continues to offer ample evidence of why the TLAs, at least, should be
moved out of the print magazine and onto the web. Nothing can possibly be
a greater waste of space and organizer/publisher money than print TLAs (or
block ads) that arrive in the mail two or more weeks after a tournament
has taken place. (Our household September CL arrived 18 August as did
yours.)

Since CL has not shown even the slightest tendency over the last several
years of ever becoming a timely publication, perhaps the USCF should
finally acknowledge their incompetence in this area and separate the time
critical material out from the print vehicle. The incessant late mailing
problems would not appear quite so glaring if CL just had longer-value
chess content in it.

An example of this is my copy of NIC 2003/5, which also arrived only
yesterday, 18 August, after having been mailed way back on 24 July. But
since NIC consists of well-written (and well-edited!) major tournament
reports, well-annoted GM/IM games, and (mostly) excellent columns --in
short, chess content --the extra two weeks lost in depths of the USPS is
of no particular consequence.

Old August 19th 03, 03:59 PM
Bruce Draney

But Bill wouldn't you say that other than these few small errors, that
the Chess Life TLA's have been pretty much otherwise accurate?

We all keep referring to Debi Sherry being fired, but technically as
Stan Booz once pointed out to me sarcastically, she resigned. Although
some may think this is unimportant, there is a difference between being
fired and being asked to resign.

Everything else that you pointed out in your post however, I agree makes
her resignation just another disaster in a long line of foolish
decisions and actions dating back over the past eight years (at least).

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 19th 03, 07:31 PM
James B. Shearer

Bruce Draney wrote in message ...
But Bill wouldn't you say that other than these few small errors, that
the Chess Life TLA's have been pretty much otherwise accurate?

We all keep referring to Debi Sherry being fired, but technically as
Stan Booz once pointed out to me sarcastically, she resigned. Although
some may think this is unimportant, there is a difference between being
fired and being asked to resign.

Everything else that you pointed out in your post however, I agree makes
her resignation just another disaster in a long line of foolish
decisions and actions dating back over the past eight years (at least).

Best Regards,

Bruce

Actually the big mistake was the reversal of the tla rate
increase. The organizers who objected to paying a fair rate for tlas
are getting the service they deserve.
James B. Shearer
Old August 19th 03, 08:10 PM
sandirhodes

--

"Doctor SBD" wrote in message
Since Key Krackers is due September 20th, I think you are incorrect - one

gets
2 days plus a month.

SBD

oops. Looks like Mr. Brown has taken action on his own to reverse this
error. A check of previous mags will show the date has moved ahead a month.

Old August 19th 03, 10:07 PM
Fifiela

Actually the big mistake was the reversal of the tla rate
increase. The organizers who objected to paying a fair rate for tlas
are getting the service they deserve.

And you're getting the tournament schedule that your deserve.