Old August 19th 03, 02:50 AM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default Alex Lenderman, Aged 13, Score IM Norm in Hungary

An intersting tidbit:

The First Saturday Web Site states that an Alex Lenderman, from the
USA, has earned an IM Norm in the August "First Saturday" IM
Tournament.

The site also says that Lenderman is just 13, and gives his
rating as 2219.

In earning the IM norm, he had a TPR of 2513, by scoring 10.0
points out of 13 games in a Category II (2296) event. He got +9=2-2...

Anybody know anything about him?

Here are the links.

http://members.chello.hu/firstsat/0308/im.htm

http://members.chello.hu/firstsat/0308/index.htm
Old August 19th 03, 03:14 AM
John Fernandez

Anybody know anything about him?

Regular participant in the New York Masters. Photo at:

http://www.newyorkmasters.com/player...Lenderman.html

One of those young kids who kept demolishing people on Tuesday as an expert and
shot all the way up to Master in the New York Master events.

I think he's a member of the Pressman All-American team, and IIRC, wants to be
an Actuary when he grows up.

John Fernandez
Old August 19th 03, 08:15 AM
LeModernCaveman

The First Saturday Web Site states that an Alex Lenderman, from the
USA, has earned an IM Norm in the August "First Saturday" IM
Tournament.

The site also says that Lenderman is just 13, and gives his
rating as 2219.

In earning the IM norm, he had a TPR of 2513, by scoring 10.0
points out of 13 games in a Category II (2296) event. He got +9=2-2...

Anybody know anything about him?

Other than he has the balls to compete with the world powers in chess on their
own turf, no.

Do we need to know more?

Watch out: we may have a great one who is just taking his time to develop.

Old August 19th 03, 10:41 AM
John Fernandez

Watch out: we may have a great one who is just taking his time to develop.

Huh?

While he may develop quite well, he did something WAY above anything he'd ever
achieved. He participated in 16 NYM events. His absolute best result was in the
31st event in October.

http://www.newyorkmasters.com/xtables/xtable31.html

There he beat IMs Greg Shahade and Justin Sarkar, drew FM Alan Stein and lost
to GM Maurice Ashley. His performance rating there was 2542, and was by far his
most amazing performance until this one.

Then again, +7 in an IM round robin with 5 IMs participating (even more
impressive, 5-0-0 vs. the IMs) is really incredible. However, I would very
strongly hestitate to assign any lofty expectations on him just yet.

John Fernandez
Old August 20th 03, 05:37 AM
LeModernCaveman

Watch out: we may have a great one who is just taking his time to develop.

Huh?

While he may develop quite well, he did something WAY above anything he'd
ever
achieved. He participated in 16 NYM events. His absolute best result was in
the
31st event in October.

http://www.newyorkmasters.com/xtables/xtable31.html

There he beat IMs Greg Shahade and Justin Sarkar, drew FM Alan Stein and lost
to GM Maurice Ashley. His performance rating there was 2542, and was by far
his
most amazing performance until this one.

Then again, +7 in an IM round robin with 5 IMs participating (even more
impressive, 5-0-0 vs. the IMs) is really incredible. However, I would very
strongly hestitate to assign any lofty expectations on him just yet.

Statistically, he has shown a flash of greatness that would be wrong to ignore.

He seems to be developing the "old" way, not worried about his rating, but
instead getting better. His development pattern supports this theory very
strongly.

If his rating is low, it's probably because he plays into parts of the game
where he's weak so he can shore himself up technically before making the final
push towards GM.

If USCF were smart....wait, scratch that.

If any chess patrons were smart, they'd be funding this kid starting now.

Old August 20th 03, 09:32 AM
John Fernandez

If any chess patrons were smart, they'd be funding this kid starting now.

Oh please. He isn't even top in his age group.

Since we are a newsgroup, and having looked at the games, Lenderman was very
very lucky in a lot of his games. Here's a rundown.

Game 1- wins a pawn pretty easily out of the opening then immeidately offers a
draw. Okay fine, his opp is 2408, happy to have a draw.

Game 2- Gets a horrible position out of the opening. Then opponent blunders,
allowing Lenderman's a pawn to crash through (instead of Nxf5, just Qa5 or Nxc8
Qa5, to stop the pawn). Okay, could happen.

Game 3- Gets little out of the opening, then confuses the issue in the
middlegame, before giving the advantage back to Black. Black proceeds to make
some egregious blunders and loses everything.

Game 4- D'Costa played great. Lenderman was just crushed.

Game 5- Lenderman gets a nice little edge out of the opening then fritters it
away, but then comes back in style to win a whole rook and the game.

Game 6- Lenderman just gets crushed out of the opening and loses an exchange
and has his pieces bottled up. Could probably resign. Then opponent loses a
piece to a 3 move combo. Lenderman wins.

Game 7- Lenderman gets a slight edge out of the opening. Soos then hangs a
pawn. Soos then hangs another pawn. Lenderman's technique is shaky. On move 48,
Black can force at least a draw with 2 rooks on the 7th rank. Any human would
play it instantly. Soos gives some mindless check and never gets the chance
again. Lenderman proceeds to win.

Game 8- Wild stuff in the opening leads to a position which is probably
dynamically balanced. Lenderman, despite turning his bishop on b6 into a pawn,
effectively playing a rook down, still manages to win with his kingside pawns.
I'll assume that the end, where Lenderman gains a queen for no reason, is an
error. I hope it is, anyway.

Game 9- Lenderman wins another pawn out of the opening, but can't get his king
in. Draw.

Game 10- Zuchelli destroys Lenderman.

Game 11- Eperjesi hangs pawn for nothing out of the opening. Turns into Q+1 vs.
Q, and hell, anything can happen there. Lenderman wins.

Game 12- White gets a slight edge but by move 40 it's gotten drawish. White
makes a HUGE blunder with Kh4?? (he had to go back to the second rank no matter
what) and Lenderman wins.

Game 13- Berces plays VERY strangely and gets rolled.

Of course, he scored 100% vs. the Hungarian locals.

Take from it what you will. I like the kid and like his family, but his games
are very random, and he got very fortunate (or more, for those conspiracy
theorists). He's got a LOOOOOOOONG ways to go.

John Fernandez
Old August 21st 03, 07:26 AM
Angelo DePalma

Nice analysis John. Like I said, it was a Category 2 event. I'd lose every
game but in the eternal scheme of things it's pretty bad chess.

Angelo DePalma

Old August 22nd 03, 02:44 PM
Jerzy

"John Fernandez" wrote in message
If any chess patrons were smart, they'd be funding this kid starting now.

Oh please. He isn't even top in his age group.

Since we are a newsgroup, and having looked at the games, Lenderman was

very
very lucky in a lot of his games.

OK John, your analysis shows that you are right.
But anyway 'a good player is always lucky' as Capa once said ;-)
I think his mom&dad and other sponsors may invest in this smart boy.

Regards,
Jerzy

Old August 23rd 03, 07:28 AM
LeModernCaveman

If any chess patrons were smart, they'd be funding this kid starting now.

Oh please. He isn't even top in his age group.

Should I run down the list of juniors who topped his age group for the past 20
years?

Since we are a newsgroup, and having looked at the games, Lenderman was very
very lucky in a lot of his games. Here's a rundown.

Champions have a habit of getting "lucky."

Game 1- wins a pawn pretty easily out of the opening then immeidately offers
draw. Okay fine, his opp is 2408, happy to have a draw.

So we praise the 2408 player more than the kid who swiped a pawn from him?

Game 2- Gets a horrible position out of the opening. Then opponent blunders,

Gee, that seems to happen a lot LOL

allowing Lenderman's a pawn to crash through (instead of Nxf5, just Qa5 or
Nxc8
Qa5, to stop the pawn). Okay, could happen.

Game 3- Gets little out of the opening, then confuses the issue in the
middlegame, before giving the advantage back to Black. Black proceeds to make
some egregious blunders and loses everything.

Dang, he just brings out the worst in everyone.

Game 4- D'Costa played great. Lenderman was just crushed.

Game 5- Lenderman gets a nice little edge out of the opening then fritters it
away, but then comes back in style to win a whole rook and the game.

Hmm....

Game 6- Lenderman just gets crushed out of the opening and loses an exchange
and has his pieces bottled up. Could probably resign. Then opponent loses a
piece to a 3 move combo. Lenderman wins.

Another sign of temporarily lopsided development, which is better than having
the same rating with a "balanced" game.

[...]

And a LOOOOOONG time to get there.