Old August 19th 03, 04:49 PM
Mr. Plow

Default USCF rating floors...

My understanding is that the continental chess association
(www.chesstour.com), which runs many of the big open tournaments in the US,
reserves the right to set their own rating floors based on previous
tournament results. I have never seen the formula for making this
determination - I assume it's arbitrary.

I suppose the intent is to deter sandbagging, or at least limit sandbaggers
to one big pot before making them move on to tougher sections.

Don't know if it does much good for helping the chances of players who
legitimately fall within a rating section.

"Howard Goldowsky" wrote in message
om...
Ooops, I stand corrected. Here is the link to the current USCF way of
calculating rating floors:

http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/ratings/rs/node6.html

Howard Goldowsky

(Ivan) wrote in message

. com...
Hi,

How much money do you have to win in order to get a rating floor when
you play in one of the class sections of a big national tournament.

For example, is it based on how much money you win or if you win first
place.
also, can you get a 2200 rating floor from winning a U2200 section??

Thanks