Old August 19th 03, 04:47 PM
LWDubeck

Default Niro Resigned: So Should McCrary and Camaratta

Dear Fellow Chess players:

Allow me to identify myself to those of you who do not know me. I was USCF
President from 1969-72 during which Robert Fischer won the world chess
championship and USCF experienced its greatest membership growth ever.

Today I received a copy of the USCF audited financial statements for the year
ended May 31, 2003.. To say that the finances are bad is an understatement.
USCF lost $575,544 in 2001-02 and lost another $364,930 in 2002-03, for a total
loss of $940,474 in just two years. This leaves the net worth of the USCF a
MINUS $1,191,814 as of May 31, 2003 even after making an "accounting change" in
the liability for life members of +$649,908. This change was made against the
opposition of the majority of the Finance Committee who considered this would
be misleading to the average person by reducing the reported magnitude of our
liability to our life members. Accounting changes such as this helped to
conceal the growing financial emergency.

No financial statements have been released for June or July, but from anecdotal
information I believe the situation is now much worse. Cash flow is all
important to the survival of USCF. It had only $67,345 in cash as of May 31,
2003. By contrast there was $205,242 in cash as a year earlier. Even that was
too little as further borrowing from the bank's line of credit and withdrawals
from the LMA during the last year demonstrate.

As some may remember, I resigned (along with Helen Warren and Jim Pechac) from
the Finance Committee in early June and made public some of our concerns,
including the lack of responses to requested financial information and our
belief that some of the figures that had been released were incomplete and
incorrect. The office made virtually no attempt to improve the monthly
financial reporting package. There was no formal development of a cash flow
reporting model as we requested. And on and on. Now we see the results of this
lack of due diligence on crucial financial matters. I should note that Steve
Doyle and Al Lawrence also resigned from the Finance Committee last year,
somewhat earlier than we three.

Did no one on the Executive Board have even the slightest concern over what
these resignations meant? Apparently not, as Ex President McCrary's
unbelievable article in the September Chess Life, page 59, makes clear. McCrary
wrote "We have brought USCF on the road to financial stability" and "We have an
outstanding Executive Director". Well, while Executive Director Niro fiddled
and President McCrary and Treasurer Camaratta watched approvingly, the USCF
"burned" through the last of its financial reserves. The liquid assets of the
Life Member Assets now stands at about $300,000, but USCF owes the bank
$300,000 for a maxed out line of credit–so the net liquid assets is zero!
Frank Nero resigned only days before the Delegates meeting, leaving chaos in
his wake.

Can USCF avoid bankruptcy? I do not know. New problems are being discovered
daily and until these are fully understood and some long overdue financial
issues clarified, the outcome is unclear. What is clear however is that if USCF
does not change what it is doing and how it is doing things, it will go
bankrupt. Some needed changes will be painful–for organizers, employees and
the membership. In my opinion they must be done or we will be filing for
bankruptcy protection in the near future.

One action should occur immediately John McCrary and Frank Camaratta should
follow in the footsteps of Frank Niro and RESIGN FROM THE EXECUTIVE BOARD. Any
replacements will be better for the organization (if it survives long enough to
hold a special election). I should note that I will not be a candidate. But we
may be able to get new members who will not only recognize we have an emergency
but be willing to act!

I hope others will join with me in demanding the resignations of McCrary and
Camaratta. They should have been overseeing the Executive Director. The audited
financials demonstrate that either they were not doing so or, worse, they were
covering up the developing financial fiasco. THEY SHOULD RESIGN NOW! Dr.
Leroy Dubeck, Past President USCF, past Chair and member USCF Finance
Committee.
rec/game/chess/politics
Old August 19th 03, 10:05 PM
Doctor SBD

Dr. Dubeck has always struck me as a person who should be listened to. I do not
know if I agree with his call for the resignations or not (yet), but his
argument was, as always, well-reasoned. Sometimes even the "innocent" (if that
is what they are) need to clear the way when they have become compromised or
have shown their incompetence.

SBD
Old August 19th 03, 11:24 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Doctor SBD says...

Dr. Dubeck has always struck me as a person who should be listened to. I do not
know if I agree with his call for the resignations or not (yet), but his
argument was, as always, well-reasoned. Sometimes even the "innocent" (if that
is what they are) need to clear the way when they have become compromised or
have shown their incompetence.

SBD

I agree, but this sounded familiar. Dr. D. doesn't seem to have been the first
to suggest it, unless he writes under a nom de plume...

****
Title: McCrary, Camaratta Resignations
Author: "Altes Weisel"
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:43:22 GMT

Is there any doubt that they should? If the President and Vice President
for Finance don't know that we have a $364,000 deficit, they shouldn't be on
the EB.

RECALL NOW!!

Kevin L. Bachler

Old August 20th 03, 01:42 AM
chessdud

(LWDubeck) wrote in message ...
[...]

Dr. Dubeck,

I must agree with you. My impression of the entire McCrary/Camaratta
board was that they were more concerned with showing up the prior
board leadership than in improving the financial and service
situations that exist.

By not making use of the talent and experience on the Finance
Committee and the Internet Committee in particular, They were doomed
to failure. Perhaps had the Finance Committee been involved the
year-end problems might have been corrected earlier and steps taken to
resolve the current situation.

By using Mr. Nolan to do statistical studies it seems they were just
trying to justify themselves and make the prior board look bad.

Some of the problem was also have such a coehesive board. There was
noone to challenge decisions nor point out discrepancies to the
membership.

Several things you have not mentioned:

1. The incredibly poor state the federation is for the
new board.
2. The lack of resources to restock the inventory for the
next holiday season
3. The low morale that must exist in the main office.

I believe that Dr. Redman and his board were correct in scaling back
the B&E. The drain on financial and personnel resources is enormous.
The federation would be better served putting these resources into
doing as many things as right as possible rather than everything
poorly.

Also, no one seems to acknowledge how much of a financial drain Chess
Life is on the resources of the federation. Publications lost
enormous sums through April not including the personnel costs
involved. More emphasis should have been made to reduce the financial
burden of this enterprise. I understand that Chess Life is important
to many members and I am not suggesting that it should be
discontinued, just made to break even.

Chessdud
Old August 20th 03, 02:10 AM
WPraeder

I hope others will join with me in demanding the resignations of McCrary and
Camaratta. They should have been overseeing the Executive Director. The
audited
financials demonstrate that either they were not doing so or, worse, they
were
covering up the developing financial fiasco. THEY SHOULD RESIGN NOW! Dr.
Leroy Dubeck, Past President USCF, past Chair and member USCF Finance
Committee.

Dr. Dubeck,

There is a well know principle of board holism. A holistic board is a single
organizational position and must officially behave as one and be accountable as
one. I have also not observed a very split board in terms of their past voting
patterns. I would therefore suggest to remove the appearance of partisanship
you should also call for Stephen Shutt and Frank Brady to resign from the
board. However if we have evidence of Breaches of Fiduciary Duty I would
recommend the delegates bring the appropriate claims to bear against the
Directors & Officers.

In hindsight, perhaps you now may wish to reconsider your amendment which
eliminated Article VI Section 10 (Removal and Recall) from the Bylaws so that
we could properly force the question. In any case I would opine it is more
prudent right now to ask that at a minimum all members of the McCrary led
Executive Board not run again for office in 2005 and allow the USCF membership
to ultimately decide who should lead them in the future.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old August 20th 03, 01:38 PM
StanB

"LWDubeck" wrote in message

As some may remember, I resigned (along with Helen Warren and Jim Pechac)

from
the Finance Committee in early June and made public some of our concerns,
including the lack of responses to requested financial information and our
belief that some of the figures that had been released were incomplete and
incorrect. The office made virtually no attempt to improve the monthly
financial reporting package. There was no formal development of a cash

flow
reporting model as we requested. And on and on.

Yes. Y'all resigned. How mature was that?

Can USCF avoid bankruptcy? I do not know. New problems are being

discovered
daily and until these are fully understood and some long overdue financial
issues clarified, the outcome is unclear. What is clear however is that if

USCF
does not change what it is doing and how it is doing things, it will go
bankrupt. Some needed changes will be painful-for organizers, employees

and
the membership. In my opinion they must be done or we will be filing for
bankruptcy protection in the near future.

Or just throwing in the towel. What will our life member liability be at
that point? Do you see now why the CPAs on the finance committee voted for
the change in accounting and the politicans voted againgst it? We wanted
GAAP and you guys wanted CRAP.

I hope others will join with me in demanding the resignations of McCrary

and
Camaratta. They should have been overseeing the Executive Director. The

audited
financials demonstrate that either they were not doing so or, worse, they

were
covering up the developing financial fiasco. THEY SHOULD RESIGN NOW!

Dr.
Leroy Dubeck, Past President USCF, past Chair and member USCF Finance
Committee.

Hopefully they will have more balls then you guys and they will stick with
their commitment.

StanB

Old August 20th 03, 06:51 PM
Alberich

I'm not fully up to date on all the issues involved in the USCF
financial situation, but maybe it would help morale if they brought in
Susan Polgar to shake things up. She has experience on and off the
chessboard so she would be an excellent addition to the organization.

Heck, if I had things my way, I'd let someone like her take full control
over the USCF. What she says would be the law of the organization. She's
done alot of promoting for chess over the years so Susan Polgar would be
an appropriate choice to be the enforcer of the new version of the USCF.

She seems to have a genuine love for chess and it shows, both in words
and her actions. I just doubt she'd want to pick up and move all the way
to Crossville, Tenn to prove it though.

Just my two cents.
Old August 21st 03, 01:48 AM
Alberich

In article , jcfernandez71
@aol.commeepmeep says...
From: Alberich
Date: 8/20/2003 1:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time
I'm not fully up to date on all the issues involved in the USCF
financial situation, but maybe it would help morale if they brought in
Susan Polgar to shake things up. She has experience on and off the
chessboard so she would be an excellent addition to the organization.

Heck, if I had things my way, I'd let someone like her take full control
over the USCF. What she says would be the law of the organization. She's
done alot of promoting for chess over the years so Susan Polgar would be
an appropriate choice to be the enforcer of the new version of the USCF.

She seems to have a genuine love for chess and it shows, both in words
and her actions. I just doubt she'd want to pick up and move all the way
to Crossville, Tenn to prove it though.

Just my two cents.

As much as I love Susan, she's a chessplayer, and a great one. The USCF needs
people who understand business and finance. I'm sure she knows some things, but
come on.

John Fernandez

I admit it's just idle chatter and wishful thinking. But, think about
it! I mean, it would be something if Susan Polgar would be THE face of
the US Chess Federation. Wow, that would drive membership and increase
visibility for whatever phoenix arises from the ashes of the old.

For instance, can you imagine the furor and controversy and let's admit
it...the excitement of hearing about a Gary Kasparov taking over FIDE?!
I wonder what Kramnik would say to that!
Old August 21st 03, 02:52 AM
StanB

"John Fernandez" wrote in message

As much as I love Susan, she's a chessplayer, and a great one. The USCF

needs
people who understand business and finance. I'm sure she knows some

things, but
come on.

Exactly. Beatrice has a degree in accounting.

StanB

Old August 21st 03, 04:27 AM
John Fernandez

I admit it's just idle chatter and wishful thinking. But, think about
it! I mean, it would be something if Susan Polgar would be THE face of
the US Chess Federation. Wow, that would drive membership and increase
visibility for whatever phoenix arises from the ashes of the old.

Oh please. People really don't care en masse about Susan Polgar, I hate to
break it to you. Judit, now that's another matter.

I actually think that American players are way more a fan of the Jennifer
Shahade, Irina Krush group. At least they've played a single game under the US
flag, and they've grown up here.

For instance, can you imagine the furor and controversy and let's admit
it...the excitement of hearing about a Gary Kasparov taking over FIDE?!
I wonder what Kramnik would say to that!

That wouldn't be so exciting?!?

John Fernandez