Old August 20th 03, 01:24 AM
sandirhodes

Default Mig having fun with Crossville Move

--

"Don Mihokovich" wrote in message
om...
http://www.chessbase.com/columns/column.asp?pid=171

"A sharp-eyed CNN viewer might have noticed the US Chess Federation
appearing in the running text at the bottom of the screen (aka "the
crawl"). The USCF is relocating from New York to Crossville, Tennessee
and a ceremony was held with that state's Governor two weeks ago. More
information in the USCF press release. Don't worry, no one else has
heard of Crossville either.

Trivia from the 16th state: Many, many years ago a young Garry
Kasparov bet businessman and neophyte chess organizer Bessel Kok that
he could name all 50 US states from memory. The bet accepted, Kasparov
completed the task, won the bet, and Kok tucked away the paper with
the 50 names as a souvenir from the 13th world champion. Last year in
Prague he showed the paper to a surprised Kasparov over dinner. There
was more surprise when we noted that on the list was Washington DC,
which is not a state. So one was missing from the list of 50! I won
the race to supply the name of the omitted precinct: you guessed it,
Tennessee."

Hmm. Does payment of a bet mean the bet is over? Since it has been
revealed that GK in fact lost this bet, even though he collected on it, was
he man enough to admit this and repay the stakes, plus his losings? I doubt
it.

Please don't tell me that it's analogous to a chess game (resign and you
lose no matter what). Future pairings and prize fund aren't affected.

sandirhodes

Old August 20th 03, 02:51 AM
Matt Nemmers

[...]

Wow.

Garry remembered IOWA and not Tennessee? Somebody call Guiness.....

Regards,

Matt