Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 1st 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bauer
Geez, we're having trouble getting above the "Sam
Sloan line" as it is - do you really want to make it more difficult to
get more candidates than "open seats including Sam plus one" to run?

Randy Bauer
What Randy Bauer means by this remark is that for the last several
weeks Bill Goichberg has been trying to recruit enough candidates so
that, including me, there would be one more candidate than open seats.

So, assuming that there are still four open seats, there should
ideally be five candidates. Then, Goichberg will campaign hard to
bring about my defeat and that way the four that Goichberg has
recruited including himself will take control of the board.

I have been trying to warn Goichberg through intermediaries that this
strategy might backfire. It might turn out that he, not I, is the one
who finishes last.

Goichberg feels that this is impossible as he is confident of getting
a lot of votes.

Now, all of you additional uninvited people are threatening to ruin
the party.

Have you no manners?

Sam Sloan
  #2   Report Post  
Old January 1st 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 37
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

On Jan 1, 11:24*am, samsloan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bauer
Geez, we're having trouble getting above the "Sam
Sloan line" as it is - do you really want to make it more difficult to
get more candidates than "open seats including Sam plus one" to run?

Randy Bauer

What Randy Bauer means by this remark is that for the last several
weeks Bill Goichberg has been trying to recruit enough candidates so
that, including me, there would be one more candidate than open seats.

So, assuming that there are still four open seats, there should
ideally be five candidates. Then, Goichberg will campaign hard to
bring about my defeat and that way the four that Goichberg has
recruited including himself will take control of the board.

I have been trying to warn Goichberg through intermediaries that this
strategy might backfire. It might turn out that he, not I, is the one
who finishes last.

Goichberg feels that this is impossible as he is confident of getting
a lot of votes.

Now, all of you additional uninvited people are threatening to ruin
the party.

Have you no manners?

Sam Sloan


Here is an new idea (already posted to USCF forum)

How about we try to elect 4 absolutely new EB members with no alliance
to any of the existing or past slates. Maybe then we can get to a
better place.
  #3   Report Post  
Old January 1st 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

On Jan 1, 12:38*pm, marknibb wrote:

Here is an new idea (already posted to USCF forum)

How about we try to elect 4 absolutely new EB members with no alliance
to any of the existing or past slates. *Maybe then we can get to a
better place.


In principle that was a good idea and I would support it.

However, there are several problems with this idea.

The biggest problem is finding good qualified people to run. Very few
are interested.

Secondly, newcomers who have come in in the past have often turned out
to be very poor board members, probably because they had no idea what
they were getting into.

One recent newcomer who was elected and highly regarded quit after
just one meeting of the board. Another was said to be "The Next Fan
Adams" and he turned out to be a very bad board member and the
opposite of Fan Adams.

We all know what has happened with the two most recent newcomers who
got elected to the board.

I personally would like to bring back some of the good old guys such
as in particular Fred Gruenberg and Bill Sneed who served on the board
when the USCF was making money.

Remember them? There was a time when the USCF used to make money. They
were on the board back then. The reason the USCF was able to lose more
than $2 million over the past few years and still survive it that it
had the two million dollars that was made when those guys were on the
board.

So, your idea of bringing in four rank newcomers with no prior
experience in USCF Governance is in my opinion not workable.

Sam Sloan
  #4   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2005
Posts: 55
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

On Jan 1, 12:38*pm, marknibb wrote:
On Jan 1, 11:24*am, samsloan wrote:





Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bauer
Geez, we're having trouble getting above the "Sam
Sloan line" as it is - do you really want to make it more difficult to
get more candidates than "open seats including Sam plus one" to run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bauer

Randy Bauer


What Randy Bauer means by this remark is that for the last several
weeks Bill Goichberg has been trying to recruit enough candidates so
that, including me, there would be one more candidate than open seats.


So, assuming that there are still four open seats, there should
ideally be five candidates. Then, Goichberg will campaign hard to
bring about my defeat and that way the four that Goichberg has
recruited including himself will take control of the board.


I have been trying to warn Goichberg through intermediaries that this
strategy might backfire. It might turn out that he, not I, is the one
who finishes last.


Goichberg feels that this is impossible as he is confident of getting
a lot of votes.


Now, all of you additional uninvited people are threatening to ruin
the party.


Have you no manners?


Sam Sloan


Here is an new idea (already posted to USCF forum)

How about we try to elect 4 absolutely new EB members with no alliance
to any of the existing or past slates. *Maybe then we can get to a
better place.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Mark,

Of course experienced and successful is always a first choice. In
agreement with you, I would submit that absolutely new is preferred
over those who have been previously unsuccessful at leading us. Those
who can be successful will promote their ideas, those who cannot will
criticize others. Perhaps radical change is necessary.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
  #5   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

--- In , [email protected] wrote:

Sam, Bill G. will finish last when pigs fly! As usual, Sad Sam hasn't got a
clue. There will be a field of 7 or 8 as it now stands and SAM WILL FINISH
LAST, which will show that the universe still functions!
Jerry Hanken


Since I have been publishing history books lately, I have learned that
on election day in 1932 President Herbert Hoover was absolutely
certain that he was going to be re-elected and that there was no
chance that Franklin D. Roosevelt would beat him.

Similarly, Bill Goichberg seems incapable of realizing that his time
may be up and that there are many reasons why the voters might not re-
elect him.

Those reasons include:

1. The huge operating losses every year. This past year the actual
loss was more than $250,000 but Goichberg claims that it was "only"
$70,000.

2. The litigation. Eventually the voters will come to recognize that
this litigation is the direct and foreseeable consequence of actions
and inactions taken by Bill Goichberg as USCF President.

3. Goichberg has not learned his lesson. Right now he is trying to
recruit candidates to run on his slate who will be obedient to him, so
that he can keep the USCF under his control. If he truly had the
interests of the USCF at heart, he would try to recruit the most
qualified people, and not just people who will obey him.

Sam Sloan


  #6   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 9,302
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

On Jan 2, 4:27*pm, samsloan wrote:

Similarly, Bill Goichberg seems incapable of realizing that his time
may be up and that there are many reasons why the voters might not re-
elect him.

Those reasons include:

1. The huge operating losses every year. This past year the actual
loss was more than $250,000 but Goichberg claims that it was "only"
$70,000.

2. The litigation. Eventually the voters will come to recognize that
this litigation is the direct and foreseeable consequence of actions
and inactions taken by Bill Goichberg as USCF President.

3. Goichberg has not learned his lesson. Right now he is trying to
recruit candidates to run on his slate who will be obedient to him, so
that he can keep the USCF under his control. If he truly had the
interests of the USCF at heart, he would try to recruit the most
qualified people, and not just people who will obey him.



I think it may well be Mr. Sloan, not BG, who is
missing the forest for the trees here. In all the
past elections -- in which similar issues existed --
who prevailed-- BG or Sam Sloan?

Think of it like chess ratings. Past successes,
in a sense, predict future results. We do know
that Mr. Sloan got lucky once, but according to
his own words, he was "unable to get anything
done" -- he was ineffective.

I don't blame Mr. Sloan for his impotence; it is
obvious that BG controls things; that it is BG
who is the head honcho, the numero uno big
cheese. I blame BG's lust for power, and his
greed, and the way in which the USCF is set
up, such that a man like BG is able to dictate
his whims to others. I blame the system....


-- help bot



  #7   Report Post  
Old January 3rd 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

On Jan 2, 6:50*pm, help bot wrote:

* I think it may well be Mr. Sloan, not BG, who is
missing the forest for the trees here. * In all the
past elections -- in which similar issues existed --
who prevailed-- BG or Sam Sloan?


* -- help bot


This is not accurate.

In 1993 Bill Goichberg ran against Denis Barry for USCF President and
lost.

In 1996 Goichberg ran against a complete unknown named Bob Holliman
and won but by only 12 votes.

In 2004 Goichberg ran a slate and won overwhelmingly. However, his
victory by a wide margin was in large part due to the fact that the
voters were extremely unhappy with the Beatriz Marinello board and the
move to Crossville.

Also, I campaigned very actively on behalf of the Goichberg slate in
2004.

Now that Goichberg has been USCF President for four years and the USCF
is now in the worst financial condition that it has ever been in, I
think that it is not a given that Mr. Goichberg will be re-elected.

Sam Sloan
  #8   Report Post  
Old January 3rd 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 9,302
Default Will the Goichberg Strategy Backfire?

On Jan 2, 7:54*pm, samsloan wrote:

* I think it may well be Mr. Sloan, not BG, who is
missing the forest for the trees here. * In all the
past elections -- in which similar issues existed --
who prevailed-- BG or Sam Sloan?


This is not accurate.

In 1993 Bill Goichberg ran against Denis Barry for USCF President and
lost.



An election for "president" has but a single
winner; the USCF board elections have several.


In 1996 Goichberg ran against a complete unknown named Bob Holliman
and won but by only 12 votes.



In 2008, I lost to a grandmaster-- by less than
a Rook.


In 2004 Goichberg ran a slate and won overwhelmingly. However, his
victory by a wide margin was in large part due to the fact that the
voters were extremely unhappy with the Beatriz Marinello board and the
move to Crossville.



I see a pattern developing: that of making up
excuses for wins by BG, and excuses for the
failures of others.


Also, I campaigned very actively on behalf of the Goichberg slate in
2004.



Yet he still won; thus, my faith in the power
of BG to overcome such minor obstacles.


Now that Goichberg has been USCF President for four years and the USCF
is now in the worst financial condition that it has ever been in, I
think that it is not a given that Mr. Goichberg will be re-elected.



I agree. It is not a given, but given the track
record of various excuse-generating people
versus the track record of a BG, the odds
seem skewed. It is also a matter of fact
that the type of people who focus on making
up excuses, are not the type who generally
succeed in such matters.

I am reminded of the excuse making of the
great Dr. IMnes, a 2450 who is world renowned
for his deep knowledge of the Andean language.
When challenged to play Mr. Sloan -- a man of
real power over the chess board -- the good
doctor always runs and hides behind his remote
terminal, thinking Rybka will save him if he can
avoid a manly, one-on-one contest.

To me, it seems that Mr. Sloan talks a good
(election) game, but it is mostly just that: talk.


-- help bot



Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Explanation of Need to Oust Goichberg samsloan rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 0 August 2nd 08 02:15 AM
Explanation of Need to Oust Goichberg samsloan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 0 August 2nd 08 02:15 AM
Explanation of Need to Oust Goichberg samsloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 0 August 2nd 08 02:15 AM
Explanation of Need to Oust Goichberg samsloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 August 2nd 08 02:15 AM
Explanation of Need to Oust Goichberg samsloan alt.chess (Alternative Chess Group) 0 August 2nd 08 02:15 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017