Old January 5th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Dispute Resolution(?)

While observing all the discourse in this newsgroup a question
occurred to me. This is not aimed at any particular faction. Given
that most of the U.S. chess politicians have a chess background, does
the essential nature of chess conflict lead to less perception and
appreciation for Win/Win solutions to political problems? Are chess
players just too ornery to govern themselves?

Note: I am not currently a member of the USCF. I do not plan to
join. Thus I will not be voting. I am not backing any candidate.
Still I remain curious to see how all of this plays out.
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev J.D. Walker
Old January 5th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob Rob is offline

On Jan 5, 7:51*am, "Rev. J.D. Walker" wrote:
While observing all the discourse in this newsgroup a question
occurred to me. *This is not aimed at any particular faction. *Given
that most of the U.S. chess politicians have a chess background, does
the essential nature of chess conflict lead to less perception and
appreciation for Win/Win solutions to political problems? *Are chess
players just too ornery to govern themselves?

Note: I am not currently a member of the USCF. *I do not plan to
join. *Thus I will not be voting. *I am not backing any candidate.
Still I remain curious to see how all of this plays out.
--

"Do that which is right..."

Rev J.D. Walker

Rev.

I am reminded of a passage from the bible. It is a paraphrase. I
expect that not posting the exact quote verbatum may encourage an
attack from the "exacto mites". LOL The quote is something God said to
the Hebrews after delivering them from Egypt. He ordered them to
wander and said he would not be going with them becaused they were a
"stiff necked people" and if he did he would most likely smite them
out of anger!

I get the impression that the USCF politicians are much like this.
They can agree on nothing except that they MUST be right at every turn
and there can be no compromise. Every position must have a winner and
a loser. Without compromise you cannot have democracy. That is one of
the flaws with the current system.
Old January 5th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Jan 5, 9:28*am, Rob wrote:
[...]

You know the Bible is online, in multiple translations yet? You could
always look up the quotation from the Good Book you paraphrased.

And the Lord said to Moses, "I have seen this people, and behold, it
is a stiff-necked people; now therefore let me alone, that my wrath
may burn hot against them and I may consume them [Exod. 32: 9-10].

I get the impression that the USCF politicians are much like this.
They can agree on nothing except that they MUST be right at every turn
and there can be no compromise. Every position must have a winner and
a loser. Without compromise you cannot have democracy. That is one of
the flaws with the current system.

I don't see your comparison as apt. God called Israel a "stiff-necked
people" because they turned away from Him after He delivered them from
Egypt. While God did "repent" of His thoughts of destroying Israel, He
was hardly in a 'democracy' with either Moses or Israel.

Old January 5th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob Rob is offline

On Jan 5, 9:19*am, The Historian wrote:
On Jan 5, 9:28*am, Rob wrote:

[...]

was hardly in a 'democracy' with either Moses or Israel.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Neil!

I figured someone would have to look it up. I didn't care to.
The USCF as represented here in RGCP is a "Stiff- necked group". They
do not allow themselves to be disuaded of anything they imagine is
right. I will defer to others as to the exact description of the
events in Exodus. I do seem to remember the Hebrews complained about
everything and constantly griped and bickered amoungst themselves.
They did this even after Moses slaughtered many of them. Of course,
thats just my opinion and it is by no means the last word on anything