Old January 28th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Dick and Jane Look At Phil's Rope

"Let's look at Phil's rope" said Dick.

"Do we have to?" said Jane.

"Well, it could be fun," Dick said with a wink.

"OK. If you promise I don't have to read that dreadful Parrot thing,"
said Jane.

"Promise," said Dick laughing.
Phil wrote on the Timesw Gambit Blog:

I must object to NY Times reporting here on this issue - especially the
strange formulations of Sam Sloan. What he says above is not true - I do
not have a ‘blog’ but write for Chessville which has 60,000 unique hits
per month as is #1 US based chess site. I am business manager and write
a leader.

" What a silly goose Phil is," said Jane. "He doesn't even know that
people posting to the Gambit don't necessarily represent the viewpoint
of the NY Times."

Dick just rolled his eyes.

I think my first major interview was with GM Mark Taimanov, and the most
recent with GM Mickey Adams.

Should NY TImes continue this practice of misreporting malicious gossip
without attempting to verify factual material - and display such evident
bias as this column exhibits of continuous speculation by litigants,
then it will rather confirm its own standard and orientation.

Dick thought for a moment. "Mr. Perry was talking about journalists and
how they operate. They try to be as objective as possible, at least in
this country. He said that newspapers like the Times, Washington Post
and Boston Globe have pretty high standards."

Jane just shook her head saying, "When you don't have a good argument,
some people just attack the reporter. Then you try to attribute comments
from people in the article to the reporter. Miss. Periwinkle, my
English teacher, says that's called sophistry."

Since Gambit blog unashamedly continues to practice its policies this
way, this itself becomes news, and a Chessville editor, an assistant
attorney general, will be making his own evaluation and report.

"Oh my!" said Jane. "Doesn't this sound like some sort of threat, Dick?"

Dick laughed again and said, "I don't think The New York Times is too
worried about a Parakeet."

Than Dick and Jane strolled over to Bruno's Pen and Pencil for a quick
power lunch.