Old February 10th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Questions for Blas Lugo and Eric Hecht

I think what we are looking at is a serious problem here. Blas Lugo
has strong credentials as a candidate, as follows:

1. He is a well known chess organizer.

2. He is former President of the Florida Chess Association

3. He is the only Spanish Speaking candidate and there are a large
number of Spanish speaking members of the USCF who up until now have
not had a representative on the board.

4. He is on the Susan Polgar slate. Several people who have spoken to
Blas Lugo have confirmed that he has stated that he is running because
Susan Polgar called him and asked him to run. She has not started
plugging him on her blog but it is still early yet and she
demonstrated in the last election her ability to get candidates she
favors elected.

The negative is that we can see that he failed to pay the guaranteed
prizes in the 2008 Miami Open, he does not have a valid excuse, and he
has been involved in other scandals in the past. We in this group know
this, yet we can not easily go out and inform the outside world about
this.

I see this as the failure of the OMOV system. Before OMOV, all that
would have been necessary was to send a letter to the 125 delegates
(later increased to more than 500 but still a manageable number) and
he would not be elected. As it is, there seems to be no way that we
can stop the Juggernaut.

Old February 10th 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAtkins
The OMOV system also allows people who would
NEVER be elected by delegates, for lots of reasons, to stand a chance
in a general election.
Michael Atkins who as he proudly notes has received special
recognition on my website is making a pointed reference to me (in case
anybody here did not realize that).

I disagree. He thinks that under the delegate system I would not have
been elected. I think I would have been elected by a wider margin.
Look at the candidates I defeated. They had hardly any support and
would be advised not to run again.

In the coming election, I think I would have a better chance under the
old system. Most informed voters agree that it is time for a change,
especially with the horrific losses the USCF has been suffering every
year. I have promised to absolutely stop the losses by cutting costs
to the extent necessary. However, the average voter does not realize
how bad things really are and might re-elect the old guard on name
recognition.

It has been made clear that Michael Atkins is running as an anti-Sam
Sloan candidate. It remains to be seen how successful this strategy
will be.

Old February 10th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Perhaps you missed the posting by Jon Jacobs. He wrote that Blas Lugo
ran a 3-minute tournament which cannot be rated under the rules, and
sent it in as a five-minute tournament which can be quick rated.

This is considered to be a very serious offense, although not as
serious as failing to pay the guaranteed prizes.

Old February 11th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan

Pre-OMOV, in 1999 Sam received 19 votes. In 2001, he got 22. If he had
continued to improve at that rate, he would have had a serious chance
to get elected in only 78 more years.