Old February 14th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Tanstaafl Finally Starts to See the Light

[quote="tanstaafl"]The lack of control and TIMELY decisions by the ED
over the money situation, the pension issues, the Miami Open, etc.
(and these are only the most recent items) are starting to form a
pattern, unfortunately. In the past, I've supported Bill Hall -- he's
in a tough position with tough problems to solve -- but it's starting
to look like he's not up to the job. If his employment came to the
delegates for a vote, I'm not sure I could continue to support him.[/
quote]

I realized that Bill Hall was not up for the job in the immediate
aftermath of the board meeting that took place on February 25, 2007.
Up until that board meeting, I was the strongest supporter Bill Hall
had on the board. I was perplexed because I could not understand why
the other board members were not stronger in their support for him.

Suddenly, because of the meeting on February 25, 2007, I realized that
Bill Hall was entirely unsuitable to be Executive Director.

Unfortunately, I could not tell the other members about this, because
you, Tanstaafl, pulled all my postings.

Oh, in case you are wondering why you did not know about this board
meeting in February 25, 2007, that may be because the meeting was
never announced, the minutes were never posted and no tapes or
transcripts of this meeting are available on the USCF website.

Old February 15th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Nobody is perfect, but I think if you compare
Bill Hall to most past USCF Executive Directors, he looks quite
good.

Bill Goichberg
This is hardly the standard. During the period 1999-2003 the USCF had
the two worst EDs imaginable. One was a liar, an idiot or both, the
other probably a thief.

It was during that four year period that the USCF lost two million
dollars. We know this happened, because the LMA went from having two
million in it in 1999 to having zero in it in 2003.

Now, Bill Goichberg is saying that the current ED is good, because he
is better than those two.

Old February 15th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsawmiller
You mean like http://main.uschess.org/forums/viewt...=32110#p32110?
Doesn't look pulled to me. And the meeting doesn't seem so secret
either.
Having problems with the facts again?

Tim Sawmiller
You have posted a link to what I alone wrote about this meeting.
However, what was supposed to happen was that this meeting was
supposed to have been announced on the website and then minutes were
supposed to have been posted, along with tapes and transcripts.

Instead, other than my own postings, no information has ever appeared
anywhere about this meeting, and yet of the six meetings that I
attended while I was on the board, this one was the most eventful.

The way this meeting happened is that under the rules if two members
of the board call a special meeting, the President is obliged to hold
it. Bill Goichberg was always opposed to holding special meetings,
preferring to conduct the USCF's business himself without telling the
other board members about it.

Since Goichberg had two other votes in his hip pocket, this meant that
there were only three independent members of the board and it took two
of the three to call a meeting.

Finally, Don Schultz and I both agreed to call this meeting (although
for different reasons) and Goichberg had no choice but to hold it. The
meeting was entirely tape recorded, yet the tapes have never appeared
on the website.

The meeting lasted one hour 45 minutes. It concerned the US
Championship and a variety of other issues. Jerry Hanken knew about
the meeting and asked to speak, but none of the board members would
agree to this, as we already knew Hanken's views and he tends to be
long winded.

The quote that Tim Sawmiller cites above is a good example of one of
the important topics discussed at the meeting. Had the voters known
that the appearance of the picture of Susan Polgar in 12 consecutive
issues of Chess Life was the result of a secret deal made between
Susan Polgar and Bill Hall without board approval, and not because of
Susan's abilities as a chess player, she and her husband might have
lost some votes and not be elected we would not be in the trouble we
are in now.

Here is the quote:

"At a board meeting yesterday, in Open Session so I am allowed to post
this, Bill Hall admitted that in Exchange for Susan Polgar organizing
the "Susan Polgar Girls Team", he had agreed to give Susan three half
page ads and 12 1/12th page ads in Chess Life, for a total of 2 1/2
pages of Free Advertising in Chess Life.

"As to why he had never informed the board of this he said that he was
not required to do so because the amount involved was less than
$10,000 and it was not known at that time that Susan would be running
for election.

"Sam Sloan"
Old February 20th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.computer

On Feb 14, 10:37*pm, samsloan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Nobody is perfect, but I think if you compare
BillHallto most past USCF Executive Directors, he looks quite
good.

Bill Goichberg

This is hardly the standard. During the period 1999-2003 the USCF had
the two worst EDs imaginable. One was a liar, an idiot or both, the
other probably a thief.

It was during that four year period that the USCF lost two million
dollars. We know this happened, because the LMA went from having two
million in it in 1999 to having zero in it in 2003.

Now, Bill Goichberg is saying that the current ED is good, because he
is better than those two.

Sam Sloan

I have been notified that by a vote of 3-0 I have been suspended from
posting for one week on the USCF Issues Forum for making the above
statement. However, the suspension has not gone into effect while I
appeal.

I am appealing on several grounds.

DeFeis and Niro are not members of the "chess community" and nobody
knows what happened to either one of them. The rules say that you are
not supposed to say anything bad about anybody in "the chess world".
DeFeis and Niro are not in the World of Chess.

Also, this posting never appeared. It has been demonstrated that
between the two of them they lost over one million dollars in large
part due to fraud. They both posted profits when actually they were
losing money big time.

Neither George DeFeis nor Frank Niro are in the "chess world". DeFeis
was never in the chess community. The Executive Board decided to hire
a non-chess player and that proved to be the disaster that was DeFeis.
Frank Niro disappeared (with the USCF's money) six years ago in 2003.
Nobody knows where he is.

In addition, I have "substantial proof" that my statements are true. I
think that even Bill Goichberg, who usually disagrees with me, will
agree with me on this one.

George DeFeis and Frank Niro are the primary villains with regard to
the USCF. When DeFeis was appointed Executive Director of the USCF in
2000, the USCF had $2 million in the LMA. When Niro disappeared in
August, 2003 the LMA had zero balance. It is obvious that Niro went
into hiding to avoid criminal charges. We still do not really know
where he is.

Nobody can say who really lost the money between the two of them.
However, both of them were reporting big profits when they were in
office. The numbers that they provided proved to be fake.

I think that Goichberg and most of us who were active back then will
agree that there is more than sufficient "substantial proof" that my
statements were accurate.

I do not see how anybody can discuss the current financial problems of
the USCF without an explanation of how we got to where we are now.

I know of nobody who was active during the period 2000-2003 when
DeFeis and Niro were the executive directors who disagrees with my
characterization of them. How many FOC and MOC members were active
during the 2000-2003 period?

Sam Sloan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsawmiller
LEVEL TWO SANCTION

By a vote of three in favor, none opposed, the Moderation Committee is
imposing a
level two sanction on user SAMSLOAN (Sam Sloan) 11115292 as a result
of the
post on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 pm #127996 in the thread Financial
Issues Summary in the USCF Issues Forum.

The Moderation Committee considers this action to be appropriate
because this post violates the AUG as follows:

Do not make personal attacks or defamatory or disparaging comments
about anyone in the chess world.

Do not post suggestions, without specifically identified substantial
proof, that a person may have committed an unethical or criminal act.

No name calling.

Do not accuse anyone of lying, telling a lie, or being a liar. This is
considered a personal attack, even if true.

Accordingly, user SAMSLOAN (Sam Sloan) 11115292 has been suspended
from posting to the USCF Forums for a period of 7 days.

The timing of the start of the suspension is dependent upon Mr.
Nolan's availability to initiate it.

Tim Sawmiller
Old February 20th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.computer

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:01:07 -0800 (PST), samsloan
wrote:

DeFeis and Niro are not members of the "chess community" and nobody
knows what happened to either one of them.

Don't know about the former, but Niro has posted several times ( In
fact, he's addressed you in some of these posts) and blogs from
Oregon
http://www.blogger.com/profile/11858781138703849298

Old February 20th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
DeFeis and Niro are not members of the "chess community" and nobody
knows what happened to either one of them.

Don't know about the former, but Niro has posted several times ( In
fact, he's addressed you in some *of these posts) and blogs from
Oregonhttp://www.blogger.com/profile/11858781138703849298

That is true. He has posted several times recently (but after the
statute of limitations has probably expired) but has he provided an
exact location where he can be found and served with a summons?

Old February 21st 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,

samsloan wrote:
..
On Feb 20, 10:34 am, Mike Murray etc...

Don't know about the former, but Niro has posted several times ( In
fact, he's addressed you in some of these posts)...

That is true. He has posted several times recently (but after the
statute of limitations has probably expired)

Aww! - wadda shame..

but has he provided an
exact location where he can be found and served with a summons?

Why would he do that Mr. small-print obsessive? - I mean get involved in
your tiresome time-wasting..

Have YOU done your 2000 tax return?..

m.