Old February 17th 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default After Korchnoi defected

On Feb 15, 2:25*pm, " wrote:

At 46 Soviet ace Viktor Korchnoi is at the peak of his career.

Not according to the statistical records at chessmetrics.com.

Looking at the appropriate player page, it appears that just
as Bobby Fischer was about to make his final and successful
run at the world championship title, VK notched the blue dot,
the signature of a first place world ranking. Afterward, only
red dots are achieved, at best. There seems to be a lapse
during which "third place Tigran Petrosian" and Mr. Spassky
allowed VK to slip past them in the rankings. One might add
the names Bent Larsen and perhaps even Mr. Botvinnik here,
plus the young Mr. Fischer.

In an interview in CHESS LIFE Korchnoi explained: "If you conform, you
have a great life. Many privileges. A salary far above the average.
Cars. Trips abroad. Certificates to buy goods in special shops that
are closed to the ordinary Soviet citizen. We could put part of the
money we won abroad in a bank account in the West. We even have the
unparalled right of uncensored speech on radio and TV. Yes, only about
chess, but even so it is unique.

"But you have to watch your step. For instance, it is unpardonable to
say that Fischer is a great player.

Note how VK often wants to have things both ways;
he insists that Soviet grandmasters had free speech,
but then moans that speech was not free regarding
Mr. Fischer-- a glaring self-contradiction.

You are not supposed to lose your
world title to him as Spassky discovered who was harassed in so many
ways after Reykjavik.

Mr. Spassky not only lost the title, he also
allegedly defied orders to accept the forfeit win he
had twice earned-- the first time when BF did not
show up by the deadline, and again after outplay-
ing the American in the endgame in game one.

Now, even here in the USA it is possible to
suffer after defying one's higher-ups (as many
arrogant Generals have discovered), so it is
ludicrous to attribute this to a particular
country, economic system, or ruler.

"From the start of my 1974 match with Karpov I was alone. And it was
meant to be that way. I said I was going to win, that I would accept
any condition by Fischer, and that he would beat me. This is bad
behavior for a Soviet grandmaster. Russians do not lose, you know.

They lose all the time! Look at Mr. Botvinnik:
he lost the title again and again, but kept on
looking until he found it again.

"I had a difficult time getting a second. Nobody wanted that job.
Take, for instance, what happened to a well-kinown grandmaszter

Larry Parr should book up on his spelling of
difficult chess terms.

when I
invited him to my training camp. He said he would like to help me but
that he could not do so officially because he had an assignment to
cover the match for a big newspaper. When the Chess Federation learned
of his visit, they arranged for him to lose the job. Only in the last
quarter of the match, when I seemed completely lost, trailing by 3
points, did he come back. I won 2 games with his help.

And this despite supposed fear of being struck
down by a bus in the street? All of a sudden, the
purported forced losing disappears, to be replaced
by a delusion wherein one's second decides the
games.

"The atmosphere of the match became weird, menacing. I all but started
to lose games on purpose. That is exaggerated

Now we see VK denying that he threw any games
on purpose.

but I had the feeling
that if it looked as though I would win something would happen to me,
like an accident in the street. That may sound paranoid, but there is
no clear difference between paranoia and real fear in Russia.

"Now they cannot force me to lose anymore."

And here, we have a quotation wherein VK admits
(or rather, claims) that he *did* throw games. The
poor fellows always want to have things both ways,
as it makes for a good story. Interestingly, there
was not a single quotation to reflect the other side
of this "story".

Another such "story" was told by Mr. Fischer, who
accused VK of throwing games to keep Him from
winning a tournament in which he was soundly
thumped. According to the other side, BF was full
of baloney; VK denied having thrown any games,
and complained that he was beaten because the
top finishers took quick draws with one another.

Mr. Kortchnoi twice almost made it to the very
top-- but he seems to have had two troublesome
opponents: Mr. Petrosian in the 1960s and Mr.
Karpov later on.

-- help bot

P.S. Did you catch my capitalization of "he" in
regard to BF? The Evans ratpackers probably
saw it and unthinkingly nodded in agreement... .