Old February 18th 09, 10:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,misc.legal

Default Sam Sloan for USCF Board Campaign has created a Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeditor
How many times does Sam get to repeat this stuff? #3
is clearly false. It was long ago established that the payment to
Polgar was a perfectly legitimate payments for services rendered, and
that all candidates paid their filing fees. As for #4, Tim Tobiason
did the scanning. Sloan said it was a good idea, but I don't think
anyone felt otherwise. #5 and #6 had absolutely nothing to do with
Sloan. "Neither Hough nor Channing EVER voted against Goichberg" is
simply false (all those motions and votes are listed in
200-07_EB_Motions_Final.pdf). Oh, and Channing resigned because he
didn't like the lawsuit situation. To claim he "resigned in disgrace"
is probably libelous.

An ordinary poster who made this many, ah, statements which fail to
accord with consensus reality
would get slammed by the moderators.
How long is Sloan going to be a protected species?
Not true. At the time I discovered this payment of $13,358.36 nobody
on the board, either one the board at the time that this payment was
many or on the board at the time I discovered this payment knew about.
Beatriz Marinello who had been USCF President in November 2003 at the
time that this payment was made stated at the November 2006 meeting
that she never knew about this payment until I brought it up. This was
gthe biggest single check of any kind that Bill Goichberg wrote whle
he was USCF Executive Director so he could not have overlooked it. It
also came just after the USCF had fired 17 people because otherwise
the USCF could not have made payroll. No documentation has ever been
provided about this payment. If any such document existed, it probably
have been on the laptop that went missing on August 20, 2003.
When people do work, they get paid for it. Is this really such a hard
concept for you, Sam? The USCF owed Polgar the money. They paid what
they owed. End of story. Until you started making reckless
accusations, of course. It's tempting to let you have it with both
barrels yet again, but why bother? There can't be too many people
still in the dark about you. Anyone who still requires convincing is
probably beyond hope.
Well said. In addition, there are a few other problems with:

"This was the biggest single check of any kind that Bill Goichberg
wrote while he was USCF Executive Director so he could not have
overlooked it. It also came just after the USCF had fired 17 people
because otherwise the USCF could not have made payroll. No
documentation has ever been provided about this payment. If any such
document existed, it probably have been on the laptop that went
missing on August 20, 2003."

1) I was Office Manager when the check was written, not Executive
Director.

2) I didn't write the check.

3) I didn't have checkwriting authority when I was Office Manager.

4) The check was added to the USCF schedule of accounts payable by the
CFO before I became Office Manager. It was not paid at that time only
because USCF didn't have the money.

5) The check was written about four months after the 17 employees were
laid off, not "just after" they were laid off.

6) Regarding the alleged lack of documentation, when Sam first brought
this matter up several years ago, I checked the documentation in the
office and responded with an email detailing the reasons for the
payment, which were Polgar's fees and expenses for appearances at
several National Scholastics and the U.S. Open.

Bill Goichberg
Thank you for responding.

Are you saying that there was documentation or that there was no
documentation?

If there was documentation, I call upon you to produce it now. Let's
see it.

If there was no documentation, why did you pay it?

I was on the board at the time and I demanded to see the
documentation. None was ever produced.

However, on February 3, 2007 after the conclusion of the USCF
Executive Board meeting in Monrovia, California, you allowed me to go
through a box of documents that Bill Hall had brought to the meeting.
I could never understand why you did not let the other board members
see these documents.

I remember one specific item where Polgar was billing the USCF for
airline tickets for her two children plus her housemaid, which meant
that the USCF was paying to fly the maid around. Do you remember that
item?

How do we know that Niro made such a deal? There was no documentation,
or none that has ever been found. Niro disappeared on or about August
7, 2003. His laptop disappeared on August 20, 2003. (Polgar and Truong
subsequently admitted to having taken it.)

If Niro intended to make such a deal, why did not he pay Polgar when
he was in office? Why did not Mike Nolan or Grant Perks, who succeeded
Niro, make the payment? Why did Goichberg make the payment, when Niro,
Nolan and Perks had failed to do so?

Most likely because Truong threatened to sue Goichberg if he did not
pay the money. We know that Truong often did that, so that seems to be
the most likely reason. But if that is the reason, why did not
Goichberg disclose that to the board at the time? Why did this secret
wait three years until it was discovered by me in 2006?

Corporations are supposed to keep their records for six years. This
happened less than six years ago. Why cannot the records of this
transaction be produced? Do not forget that you have been denying the
truth of my statement that all of the records of this period have been
lost or destroyed?

The fact that Goichberg made a large payment like this one,
$13,358.36, without any documentation or proof of any kind that the
money was owed shows his lack of qualifications to be either executive
director or USCF President.

Kindly go back and search the archives of the USCF Issues Forum. You
will find that when this issue was first debated in or about November
2006, I accused Grant Perks of making the payment to Polgar of
$13,358.36. Then, Grant Perks tersely stated, "I did not make the
payment" or words to that effect. I was then shocked to realize that
the payment was made after Perks had left office and when Goichberg
was in charge.

I accept the fact that you did not yet have check writing authority,
but you were still the boss. Why did you pay such a large amount of
money without board approval and without even telling the board about
it?

Now that you are running for office, why cannot you be more forthright
with the membership about this item?