Old March 5th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Fischer's 61 Memorable Games

WHO OWNS THIS BOOK?

http://my61memorablegames.wordpress.com/

In December 2007 an eBay auction [from eBay Canada] was listing a new
book by former World Champion Bobby Fischer. It was called “My 61
Memorable Games”, touted as an improved update of Fischer’s1969 book
by a similar title: “My 60 Memorable Games”.

What happened next was: “All hell broke loose.” This blog has three
primary functions:

1) To confirm that, in fact, this book does exist.

2) To sift through all of the “online accusations” and report “just
the facts”

3) To try and ascertain the book’s merit by those who actually have it
in their possession.

Secondary functions of this blog:

1) To provide a “gathering place” where people who have the book can
exchange ideas in a safe haven, away from so many of the “haters” out
there that act like children.

2) To offer a channel for buying/selling/trading books.

3) To celebrate the chess achievements of the late Bobby Fischer.

Post below was wriitten by allanquatermain January 14, 2009 at
7:37 pm

I received an email from a friend in December, 2007, just before
Christmas sometime. It said something like “A New Fischer book on eBay
is going for over $3,000!” with a link attached.I had to just check it
out.The link was to “eBay.ca” which meant it was a Canadian affiliate
of eBay. I raised an eyebrow. For one, Canada doesn’t have any chess-
playing “friends” of Bobby Fischer that I knew of. Fischer’s previous
book wasn’t publishedin Canada. And when you think of a chess-playing
country, I don’t think Canada would be at the top of anyone’s list
[with all due respect to Canada andCanadians]. And the $3,000 was for
100 books, sold in a crate, or something like that.
]
Eyebrow #2 was raised. When did eBay become a chess book clearing
house? Why not just auction off one book? OK, this was looking a
little fishy now. Then, the auction stopped. It was pulled down by
eBay. If I had a third eye then I would be raising my 3rd eyebrow by
now! News travels fast, and eNews travels even faster. Blogs and
discussion boards around the world were talking about the book.
Fischer was hospitalized at the time, and it came as no surprise to
hear that friends of his denied the book [on Fischer's behalf] and the
whole thing was headed for hoaxville. Bobby died about a month later,
God rest his weary soul.Then US chess Grandmaster Larry Evans, a
friend of Bobby’s since “forever,” came out with an article that
really shook things up. My 61 Memorable Games: A Mystery In it were
some incredible details that nobody really knew about at the time.
Somehow Evans was in contact with the girl from ebay who was selling
the books!

************************************************** ********************************************

Edward Labate sued Edward Trice

http://www.labatechess.com/61_games.html

61 Memorable Games: A Hoax
By Larry Evans
April 10, 2008

After three months of back and forth emailing, GM Larry Evans
concludes that the supposed new book authorized by Fischer, "My 61
Memorable Games", was an elaborate hoax.

In extensive e-mails the Canadian seller repeatedly promised to send
me a copy of "My 61 Memorable Games" but never fulfilled this promise.
I think that the book may exist on someone’s computer but it has not
yet appeared in print. Obviously a strong player with Fritz did a lot
of work updating the manuscript, but Fischer had nothing to do with
it.

The seller’s story appears to be a fairy tale. “Helgi” was an invented
name who simply doesn‘t exist either. Ed.Note- therefore, the guess in
the original article that Helgi may be Helgi Olafsson, a big supporter
and friend of Fischer, was obviously false.

During three months of dealing with the Canadian Scammer (which I
believe is the accurate term for the Liar who strung me along for
three months) “she” came up with excuse after excuse for not sending
me a copy of the book. The cryptic message I received from Bobby was
also bogus. After contacting several people in Iceland who knew Bobby
well, I learned that he didn’t need money from a new edition. Nor did
he wish to see an algebraic version. As I stated originally, he didn’t
even own the rights to My 60 Memorable Games.

I played along with the Canadian seller in order to gather more
information, then encountered one falsehood after another -- too
numerous to mention. In order to convince me the book actually exists,
the scammer sent page 79 and naively asked who this Weinstein was that
Bobby kept attacking (knowing full well that Weinstein was Kasparov
before he changed his name). Notice the clever ploy of referring to My
Great Predecessors by Kasparov as “Weinstein, Volume IV, page 233” to
imitate Bobby’s brand of sarcasm.

If the book does surface one of these days, we can pretty much rest
assured that it was NOT written or authorized by Bobby Fischer.

Old March 5th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

After three months of back and forth emailing, GM Larry Evans
concludes that the supposed new book authorized by Fischer, "My 61
Memorable Games", was an elaborate hoax.

In extensive e-mails the Canadian seller repeatedly promised to send
me a copy of "My 61 Memorable Games" but never fulfilled this promise.
I think that the book may exist on someone’s computer but it has not
yet appeared in print.

....But on the link you gave there are MANY copies of the book; where
are they?
This in any case would seem to be a pre-Batsford, pre-Nunn version of
60MG.
Who DID write the foreword, if Fischer did not do it?
Old March 6th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Mar 5, 5:48*pm, Offramp wrote:
After three months of back and forth emailing, GM Larry Evans
concludes that the supposed new book authorized by Fischer, "My 61
Memorable Games", was an elaborate hoax.

In extensive e-mails the Canadian seller repeatedly promised to send
me a copy of "My 61 Memorable Games" but never fulfilled this promise.
I think that the book may exist on someone’s computer but it has not
yet appeared in print.

...But on the link you gave there are MANY copies of the book; where
are they?
This in any case would seem to be a pre-Batsford, pre-Nunn version of
60MG.

There was a missing word in that sentence: algebraic

Who DID write the foreword, if Fischer did not do it?

Old March 6th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

FISCHER'S BOOK CONTAINS THREE LOSSES

SAT W-7 wrote: Out of his 60 games, how many were loses ?

To Geller, Spassky and Tal.

As usual, Greg Kennedy (help not) runs off his mouth even though he
has nothing to contribute to the discussion: does anyone have a copy
of MY 61 MEMORABLE GAMES?