Old March 20th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Women's World Champ in Manhattan

PRESS RELEASE March 18, 2009

The U.S. Chess Trust

A Charitable, 501 (c)(3) organization devoted to supporting the
educational, cultural, and recreational value of the game of chess.
Contributions are tax-deductible.

New York City Salutes and Welcomes Women's World Chess Champion
Alexandra Kosteniuk!

GM Alexandra Kosteniuk will play a 20-Board Simultaneous Exhibition
this coming Saturday, March 21, 2009 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., in New
York City at the British International School of New York. This good
will event will benefit the U.S. Chess Trust.

150 spectators are expected to attend the event, which is by
invitation only. However, thanks to technology and the U.S. Chess
Trust's website, all of you can show your support and cheer for the
chess players on our 'Live Games Blog'!

You can also view event photos, make a donation, and see the Women's
World Chess Champion in action!

So, mark your calendars and cheer these chess players on by logging on
to our website at www.uschesstrust.org!

A huge thanks to GM Alexandra Kosteniuk and her family for supporting
the U.S. Chess Trust!

Event Contact: Beatriz Marinello,

Media Contact: Barbara DeMaro,

Autographs and Photographs

Get an autograph and your photograph taken with GM Alexandra
Kosteniuk!

Our official event photographer will be on-hand to photograph the
event and take pictures of the participants and guests with GM
Alexandra Kosteniuk. The Women's World Chess Champion will also sign
autographs.

Refreshments and Activities

Refreshments will be served. Guests will have the opportunity to
mingle, play chess, and watch the simul from the multi-purpose room on
a large projection screen.

This is sure to be a fantastic event for the chess community!

Below you will find a list of the 20 chess players who will challenge
GM Kosteniuk, the participant's ages range from 5-70 years old.

The names are listed based on USCF ratings. The 'Live Games' which
will be broadcasted are indicated next to the players name.

Participants

If you are playing in the simul, please arrive at least 15 minutes
early.

Dr. Leroy Dubeck, Rating 2200, Live Broadcast
Alena Kats, Rating 2023, Live Broadcast
Anna Matlin, Rating 2009, Live Broadcast
Medina Parrilla, Rating 1992, Live Broadcast
Alexies Paredes, Rating 1876, Live Broadcast
Eve Zhurbinskiy, Rating 1865, Live Broadcast
Ezequiel Quinones, Rating 1706, Live Broadcast
Tanisha Millan, Rating 1607, Live Broadcast
Leo Dubler, Rating 1567, Live Broadcast
Natan Luehrmann, Rating 1187
Anagh Kulkarni, Rating 1165
Aisha Camara, Rating 1161
Sam Chapin, Rating 1159
Tomas Vonderheide, Rating 1149
Jaqueline Kuo, Rating 1057
Paul Davies, Live Broadcast
Teddy Nacos
Musavvir Khan Noorpuri
Tayla Brown
Ben Stedman

A Special Thanks to the British International School of New York!

We would like to thank the British International School of New York
for allowing us to host the event at their school campus and providing
amazing support for this event!

The British International School is housed in one of the most
impressive school facilities in New York City. Overlooking the East
River, the school building has large classrooms, filled with natural
light and river views. The British International School is
conveniently located at 20 Waterside Plaza, New York City.

For more information about British International School of New York -
please visit their website at
www.BritishInternationalSchoolNY.org.

For more about GM Alexandra Kosteniuk - please visit her at:
Website: www.Kosteniuk.com

Her podcast: www.ChessisCool.com

Video podcast at www.ChessKillerTips.com
You can also find more on her YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/chessqueenRelated
Reading:
Click Here to Read the Previously Published - Interview with World
Women's Chess Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk by WIM Beatriz Marinello

About the U.S. Chess Trust

The U.S. Chess Trust is an independent 501(c)(3), non-profit
organization.

Created in 1967, the Trust was organized to promote, stimulate and
encourage the study and play of the game of chess as a means of
intellectual development. The Trust uses its resources for charitable
purposes, including social, educational, scientific, historical
endeavors. Our Trustees act without compensation, and are dedicated to
the U.S. Chess Trust’s mission.

The U.S. Chess Trust’s focus is an outgrowth of similar activities
formerly carried out by the U.S. Chess Federation . We promote and
support chess in the community through our programs, and by providing
resources that help support our mission.

In addition, we also actively support charities conducted by the USCF
and other chess organizations.

To learn more about how we are helping make a difference in the chess
community, please visit our Programs/Resources section.

It is no wonder, that more and more scientific studies have confirmed
that children who are taught chess, in addition to their regular
courses, do better in school. Studies report that chess helps develop
valuable reading and decision-making skills, and improves students’
ability to concentrate.

These are only a few reasons why the U.S. Chess Trust takes an active
role in supporting chess education programs across the nation. And
your donations help make that possible!

Old March 20th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

wrote:
[...]

your donations help make that possible!- Hide quoted text -

Is it in the release?
Old March 27th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Strange, but I can never find Kosteniuk as a chessmaster personality.

Old April 2nd 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

U.S. CHESS TRUST PRESS RELEASE

Issue #10 2009

A Charitable, 501 (c)(3) organization devoted to supporting the
educational, cultural, and recreational value of the game of chess.
Contributions are tax-deductible.

U.S. Chess Trust's New York City Event Report

On Saturday, March 21, 2009, a sunny New York afternoon, Women’s World
Chess Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk played 20-boards in a simultaneous
exhibition. The attendees enjoyed asking questions, playing chess, and
watching the simul in a pleasant atmosphere.

The event started at 2pm with an introduction by Ms. Abigail
Greystoke, Director of Strategic Planning at the British International
School of NY, and further presentations from Past U.S. Chess
Federation President and Event Organizer Beatriz Marinello.

U.S. Chess Trust Trustee & Past U.S. Chess Federation President Dr.
Leroy Dubeck also spoke on behalf of the U.S. Chess Trust, as did U.S.
Chess Trust Managing Director, Barbara DeMaro.

Among the audience were, chess coaches, David McNulty, Joe Lux, and
Elizabeth Vicary.

David McNulty, an inspiring person in the chess community, NYC chess
teacher, and a former Bronx teacher whose real-life story was made
into the movie, ‘Knights of the South Bronx’, also spoke during the
presentation.

Q &A with Guest of Honor, GM Alexandra Kosteniuk

Following the presentation, our guest of honor Grandmaster Alexandra
Kosteniuk opened a session of questions and answers.

Most parents asked questions about how to help their children become
better chess players, and the kids questions varied from -

What is your favorite chess piece?
How many people have you beaten?
What is your favorite chess book?
When did you start to play chess? Alexandra was very friendly and very
gratefully responded to all the questions in a thoughtful and simple
way.

British International School of New York provided refreshments and
the guests played chess in other areas of the school while the simul
took place.

18 Wins and 2 Draws for GM Alexandra Kosteniuk!

The simul lasted a little more than two hours and ended with two
players, Dr. Leroy Dubeck and Alexis Paredes claiming a draw in
positions that actually looked better for them. If you wish to view
and replay the games go to NYC Event Live Games Blog (Click Here).

This event was a fund-raising event to benefit the U.S. Chess Trust
which is 501c3 organization that promotes chess in the United States
of America.

The focus of this activity was to promote chess in a positive way and
inspire young talented chess players to continue with their training
and work hard to become even better chess players.

The event was hosted at the British International School of New York.

We would like to thank our guest of honor, Grandmaster Alexandra
Kosteniuk, all of our event supporters, our Live Games Broadcaster Jon
Haskell, Technical support &Official Event Photographer Dora Leticia,
Chess players, Chess coaches, and the British International School of
New York’s administrators who helped make this event possible.

Old April 2nd 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Actually, Leroy Dubeck had a clearly winning position. Since he was
one of the sponsors of the event, he offered her a draw to save her
the embarassment of losing.